Fram Ultra Synthetic: Flow Restriction, Bypass Setting, and Fine Filtration

Instead of a compromise mid point flow … they have a high and low stage as the vane assembly changes position within the axis of symmetry.
Otherwise how would you explain the rapid increase in pressure when I first punch it rather than when it reaches max RPM on that gear.
They are also feeding piston jets in more and more cases …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Instead of a compromise mid point flow … they have a high and low stage as the vane assembly changes position within the axis of symmetry.
Otherwise how would you explain the rapid increase in pressure when I first punch it rather than when it reaches max RPM on that gear.

Yes, they are typically "two step", but didn't want to get into all that. Basic point is say for example at idle, a variable flow PD pump will be putting out less flow than a non-variable pump at idle, or even less flow at higher RPM depending on how the pump is designed and computer controlled.

The whole goal for the engineer of a variable flow pump is to reduce the pumping loss (HP) as much as possible to gain fuel economy and still provide adequate lubrication to the engine and still make it last it's design life goal.

That is if the engine does not shut down completely (my newest blood pressure spikes) … ...¡

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 4WD

Yes, they are typically "two step", but didn't want to get into all that. Basic point is say for example at idle, a variable flow PD pump will be putting out less flow than a non-variable pump at idle, or even less flow at higher RPM depending on how the pump is designed and computer controlled.

The whole goal for the engineer of a variable flow pump is to reduce the pumping loss (HP) as much as possible to gain fuel economy and still provide adequate lubrication to the engine and still make it last it's design life goal.

Wow. Kind of like the variable vane geometry turbos, except two steps instead of infinitely variable?
Wonder what kind of fuel economy improvements all these little savings add up to. Seems less durable as well (compared to old gerotor)?

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 4WD

Wow. Kind of like the variable vane geometry turbos, except two steps instead of infinitely variable?
Wonder what kind of fuel economy improvements all these little savings add up to. Seems less durable as well (compared to old gerotor)?

Not enough to make it that complicated IMO. I'm glad none of my vehicles have a computer controlled oil pump.

Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by kschachn
"Flow" is not a concern in a passenger car oil filter.
Why not? Would it be a concern in smaller 4-cycle engines?

Only can size - - some small engines have a very small volume oil pump.
A Fram 3600 will thread onto a Briggs 15HP engine, but it will take a minute to fill up because the oil pump is tiny

Originally Posted by Linctex

A Fram 3600 will thread onto a Briggs 15HP engine, but it will take a minute to fill up because the oil pump is tiny

Is the large can still a problem if the filter has an ADBV?

No if the ADBV does it's job.

No if the ADBV does it's job.
I dont see a problem with a larger can. Only upon replacement it will take longer to fill, but I pre fill the can and flood clear crank the engine to fully fill the oil passages before starting. If the system is full I see no issue. In fact you have more filter surface area and the larger can volume will slow the flow velocity through the media.

I'm contemplating installing a Fram Ultra Synthetic (XG) filter. Fram specifies a shorter filter for my application (different model number in the PH series), but this XG filter has the same threads and a similar bypass setting.

1. Are Fram XG filters restrictive to flow? Some have suggested the high efficiency rating leads to flow restriction, while others say the synthetic media makes it easy-flowing.

2. Is it a problem that the bypass rating of the Fram XG is slightly higher than that of the OEM filter I plan to replace? Is this problem mitigated or exacerbated by the Fram XG's flow properties.

3. As the Fram XG filter is designed for a long OCI, are there any drawbacks (besides the price) to using it for short OCIs? Someone suggested that it may sacrifice fine filtration at the expense of high capacity, but I've seen other reports to the contrary.
1) all filters restrict flow to some degree. But so do the walls of the flow path (engine oil galley, piping, etc). Nearly anything that flows a fluid (gas or liquid) will present some form of restriction; NOTHING is frictionless. Friction in a fluid directly affects pressure loseses, and to a lessor degree, flow losses. But that's a TECHNICAL answer and probably not helpful in your underlying quest.
The thing is this ... you're asking a quesiton in the wrong manner. You probably want to know if the XG filter is "too restrictive". Well, then you have to define what "too restrictive" means.
A much easier way to look at this is by asking two questions in a more defined manner:
- how much oil will the XG filter flow before it goes into BP?
- how much oil will my engine require to flow at max flow capacity
Though these answers will be slightly different for each unique filter model, and engine engine model, the reality is that ANY decent filter will flow much more than your engine requires.
Example ... if you engine produces 6 gpm at 5000 rpm before it goes into BP at the pump relief at 85 psi, then the oil filter will see approximately 6 gpm to the filter media (minus the aforementioned frictional losses). But most decent filters will flow 9-11 gpm. So, the point you seek to worry about is moot. Forget it and move on. Even if the oil is really cold, the filter BP would open and still flow for that very short time of BP event. As Zee said, don't mash the go-pedal when the oil is cold and it'll be just fine.

2) Prob's not. If the BP value of your engine design requirement is only a couple PSI different than the filter, it's not a big deal.
- hopefully, it would be a rare event that the BP would engage in the first place (again, see Zee's comments)
- I've seen many examples where one filter maker has a BP value slightly different than another filter maker, all for the same application. If it were so darn important that they matched exactly, the filter makers would be more worried. Since they are not worried about matching EXACT dP for the BP values, you should not worry either. As long as you're within a few PSI one way or another, it's moot.

3) Well, if you're going to ignore price, then I'd have to say "no", there are no drawbacks to using and XG for short OCIs. The XGs have admirable efficiency, high capacity, and solid construction. The only drawback is under-utilizing the filter, but your premise is that it's OK to waste money, so that's out the window as a concern.

I am curious about the specific application; I've never known Fram to spec an EG different than XG for the same application. Assuming that you are correct, that Fram specs two different filters for the same applicaiton, then as long as you choose either, you'd still be fine. Please let us know what the actual application is; I'm curious to know.

Last edited:
Just look at the flow vs. delta-p data. The Ultra flows better than most ... absolutely nothing to worry about.

Source - 3rd graph.

Look at the delta-p from 0 to 5 min when the filter isn't loaded up much. The Fram Ultra and WIX XP are the best flowing filters in this group.

Also see this flow vs delta-p data with variable oil flow - up to 13.2 GPM (50L/min).

1642050359617.png

Back