Fram Ultra or Hyundai OEM for 5K mile OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and don't really care about what the retail price of an oil filter is, especially when I like to figure out how I can get whatever it may be at a lower cost. Even at the full retail price an Ultra is not THAT expensive for what you get.

With my Hyundai GDI engine I came to figure out that running something heavier than 0w/5w-20 makes a huge difference. Also running a Fram 3593a series filter, instead of a 9688 series filter, seems to have made a difference as well.
*Is a Fram 3593a a longer version of the #9688 ? Are the flow rate and bypass rating the same ?

*Is a Fram 3593a a longer version of the #9688 ? Are the flow rate and bypass rating the same ?
FYI if not already mentioned- RA still has the FPS3593a on clearance

I don’t think the 3593a is a longer version of the 9688. Has anyone confirmed with FRAM if the the 3593a will work in modern Hyundai’s? It’s my understanding it doesn’t have the same burst pressure rating as the 9688. The 3593a is not listed in the FRAM catalog for any Hyundai built in the last 2 decades.

I don’t think the 3593a is a longer version of the 9688. Has anyone confirmed with FRAM if the the 3593a will work in modern Hyundai’s? It’s my understanding it doesn’t have the same burst pressure rating as the 9688. The 3593a is not listed in the FRAM catalog for any Hyundai built in the last 2 decades.

I think that you are being skeptical for the sake of skepticism at this point. I have had the 3593a series recommended to me by other people who use them in place of a 9688 series filter on their Hyundai. If you don't want to use it that is fine, I only began using one after my Hyundai was out of warranty. You can easily go to a store that sells both size filters, take them out of the box and compare the dimensions. I can show you information from sites that say that the burst pressure is the same and if you don't want to believe it that is fine too. Perhaps contact Fram yourself for details and report back to us?

I use the 3593a filter because it is bigger, cheaper, and has proven to work on my 2012 Hyundai GF4D Gamma engine :)

I’m not being skeptical. Blown oil filters are a real concern on Hyundai/Kia engines and it would be a disservice for anyone reading this thread to automatically assume the 3593a is safe to use on a Hyundai/Kia engine. We know for a fact that the 9688 was updated to withstand the high pressure spikes, but we don’t know that about the 3593a.

For anyone who wants to use a different filter than recommended I encourage you contact the respective companies and ask if the part in question is compatible. I’m not contacting FRAM because I don’t ever plan to use the incorrect filter for any application.

RockAuto, just as an example, has been wrong about many part specs in the past and present. They’re nothing more than a retail outlet and I wouldn’t trust their final judgement on specifications. Just because the filter “fits” doesn’t mean it will do the job appropriately.

I apologise if I came across as discounting what you were saying, that was certainly not my intention. I am aware of that bulletin from 2016 but I do wonder if the burst strength of that specific filter has to do with it being a cheap, quick lube type filter versus a higher quality and higher performing aftermarket filter like the Ultra? I have seen several websites that report the burst strength of both the 9688 and 3593A series filters being 310psi, not just Rock Auto. FWIW Fram openly advertises that every Extra Guard, Tough Guard, and Ultra spin on can filter is rated for at least 300psi burst strength on the webpage linked below. If 310psi is the magic number for Hyundai engines than they can't be too far off from the get go.

All good man. However I will note that FRAM says it’s specific Hyundai/Kia application oil filters are rated for burst pressure up to 350psi.

Attachments

• 533427B9-A822-4442-8B2B-E4D2BD7C74D7.jpeg
    533427B9-A822-4442-8B2B-E4D2BD7C74D7.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 28
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but that technical bulletin specifically states the MileGuard MO9688. Every source I can find on a internet search states a burst pressure of 310psi for all consumer Fram 9688 and 3593a filters. Could be bad information but all available easily found data matches.

Go ahead and ruffle feathers then. Service Champ and MileGuard oil filters are the jobber equivalent to the FRAM (consumer) line. For all intents and purposes they are the same filter.

IMHO, if concerned with warranty - use OEM.
Outside warranty - a filter that provides good filtration with other specs like bypass valve pressure rating and oil flow rate being same or very close to OEM filter if changing from OEM.
I used to use OEM and switched to Mann 811/80 about a year ago due to availability and price and been out of warranty (5years only in Canada).
The Mann has same as OEM specs, actually OEM is a copy of the Mann :)

FWIW Fram openly advertises that every Extra Guard, Tough Guard, and Ultra spin on can filter is rated for at least 300psi burst strength on the webpage linked below. If 310psi is the magic number for Hyundai engines than they can't be too far off from the get go.

The TSB says the Hyundai oiling system may hit 125 PSI for short periods of time with cold oil. Hyundai oiling systems don't run at 310 PSI. A burst pressure of 310 PSI is still a safety factor of (310/125)-1 which is about 1.5.

Oem for 5k 5w-30 changes. Have had no issues with any of my present or past Hyundais.
I just bought a Kia Sorento for my daughter, and sliced the OEM filter open to see what Kia is offering. Construction is way better than any Fram I ever cut open. You Fram devotee's, can keep them. I'm staying with the Mann +Hummel produced filter.

Attachments

• DSC_0327.JPG
    DSC_0327.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0322.JPG
    DSC_0322.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 46
I just bought a Kia Sorento for my daughter, and sliced the OEM filter open to see what Kia is offering. Construction is way better than any Fram I ever cut open. You Fram devotee's, can keep them. I'm staying with the Mann +Hummel produced filter.

Take it for what it's worth but I just bought 9 Wix 57055 filters for my new Subaru knowing that there have been a lot of major quality control issues reported on Wix filters over the past year or two, even as recently as this month with Ascent Filtration Testing's findings posted on BITOG.

Honestly I have a heck of a lot more confidence in Fram at this point but with certain specific products M&H does put out some real gems. I guess what I am saying is don't put too much stock in something "just because" 👍

The way I look at it if something goes wrong you at least want to be using the filter part number prescribed by the manufacturer. ST9688 has held up well for the 2.4, next up my 6 pack of OEM.

Thanks more FRAM filters for me! 😁

The filter looks good means little.
If there is no hard part failure during usage, then the looks are all but meaningless among filters.

A filter needs to filter, flow, and hold. I'd use an orange can over the Hyundai/Kia OE filter.

Maybe when Hyundai posts holding capacity and multi/single pass micron ratings, I'll reconsider. Until then, no OE filters for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back