Fram Ultra or Hyundai OEM for 5K mile OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to having a 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L DI engine , my OCI is max 5K miles (more like 4K miles usually) . No issues using the Fram Ultra - just curious if the Hyundai OEM oil filter is a better option for the OCI I am running ?

Isn't that the "Theta" engine that is prone to issues?

OE only if there is any chance of Hyundai having to fix it.

Otherwise agree an Ultra will do (at least) 2 OCI @5000 OCI.

OEM or WIX/NAPA Gold on Hyundai and KIA products is the way to go. All of them are made in S. Korea and are essentially the same. I had a 2006 Tucson and a 2013 Optima and that’s all that I used on either one.

Absolutely go OEM. They're good filters, and with Hyundai and Kia's issues (another 467,000 vehicles recalled), don't give them any ammunition against you. I have a 19' Sorento and use OEM filters. When this recall and engine fire thing first broke, they blamed the owner's for not using the right filter. Use OEM and keep all receipts.

Use a Fram Extra Guard, the Ultra is overkill for 5k changes. If you want to run the ultra then use it for two oil changes. I use the extra guard on my theta II.

Is the Ultra as a spin-on filter better (more efficient) than an Ultra in cartridge form?

My Hyundai 2013 Elantra GT galled up it's pistons at 14,000 miles and it had a Fram Ultra on it. They tried to pull that it was a high efficiency filter and they have problem with those. ( What, using their Swiss Cheese Hyundai filter?) Before the last word came out of their mouth I said I have legal right to run any brand oil filter as long as it is the # made for the engine. I never heard a word about that afterword. After all my research I feel most all of Hyundai's engine issues are galled up pistons (bad metallurgy) and soft bearings. It has zero to do with the filter. In fact, when Jay was working for Fram back in the day, he said the Ultra flows better then the OEM Hyundai filter and catches finer particles. Win win. This has been going on now for 8 now 9 years. Using a Hyundai OEM filter is a moot point. 80% of all their 3.5 bollion dollars in engine damage had Hyundai OEM filters with all the other brand filters coming along for the 3.5 billion dollar ride. What do "they" say........"It's the metallurgy stupid, not the filter."

Mitsubishi and Chrysler use the same block designm because they where all part of the Global Engine Alliance.

They all use their own metallurgy specs. Hyundai/Kia are the only ones incurring 3.5 billion dollars worth of galled up engines in 9 years. All from a company who owns a world leading metals company ( go figure ). I myself am slightly leaning to an embezzlement conspiracy theory of top Hyundai leaders because this is SO fixable. I think their is some skimming going on. "Profit through chaos"

Hyundai should buy pistons from Mahle in Germany and hardened bearing and your problem is solved. You would not have a 3.5 billion dollar bill at the end of 9 years. What,......... quality high end parts would cost an extra 1/2 billion ?? Money saved. Reputation saved.

If you can't figure out your 3.5 billion dollar ( and GROWING ) engine debacle, bring in the Big Guns.

My filter of choice on my Hyundai is a Fram Titanium.

Last edited:
Ya'll are gunna have to sit down for this one...

...I recently used a Fram Titanium 9688 on my 2012 Hyundai Accent 1.6L for ONLY 3005 miles! 🤯

Now mind you that I got that filter for about $5 and I have two threads detailing the fact that my engine is so dirty that it clogs up even a Fram Ultra after about 7500 miles of total usage. In the future I will likely be using something like a Fram Tough Guard or Fram Force from AAP to minimize cost. Ultimately I am just trying to clean up the engine with more frequent oil and oil filter changes.

Hyundai's OEM oil filter is built well but the filtration efficiency is suspect. I am happy to go with a sure thing that I know performs well on this engine which is any oil filter from Fram.

Isn't that the "Theta" engine that is prone to issues?

OE only if there is any chance of Hyundai having to fix it.

Otherwise agree an Ultra will do (at least) 2 OCI @5000 OCI.
*Yes , you are correct - the Theta 2 with rod bearing issues .

*So , Fram Ultra used for two (2) OCI's (i.e. 8K to 10K total miles) OR a lesser Fram Tough Guard / Hyundai OEM filter chaged at every oil change (i.e. 4K to 5K miles using name brand synthetic oil. One thing I do appreciate with Fram oil filters is the rough external texture of the oil filter for a better grip . The Sonata oil filter is in a slightly awkward location to reach , so I like being ablue to usually just twist off the old oil filter by hand versus using an oil cap with socket + 90 degree joint attachment .

*So , Fram Ultra used for two (2) OCI's (i.e. 8K to 10K total miles) OR a lesser Fram Tough Guard / Hyundai OEM filter chaged at every oil change (i.e. 4K to 5K miles using name brand synthetic oil. One thing I do appreciate with Fram oil filters is the rough external texture of the oil filter for a better grip . The Sonata oil filter is in a slightly awkward location to reach , so I like being ablue to usually just twist off the old oil filter by hand versus using an oil cap with socket + 90 degree joint attachment .
Advance Auto sells their own special versions of the Fram Ultra and Tough Guard now, They call them the Fram Titanium and Fram Force filters, they have some stupid tear drop holes in the tapping plate that's supposed to make them flow better or something, sounds like marketing wank, but they're fully covered in grippy paint not just on the end. They're not priced great, but if you buy them with an oil change bundle it's more in line with the price of Buying Oil+ an Ultra at Walmart.

The Tough Guard is only like $1 or $2 less than the Ultra, so I'd just get the Ultra (or Titanium at AAP) and run it 2x OCIs. You'd be saving filter money that way, and the Ultra/Titanium can do 10K easily.

ChrisD46
Please take into consideration Hyundai/KIA recommendation for oil change intervals. Hyundai/KIA recommends 3,750 miles for severe service and 7,500 for normal service. When I owned my two, I split the difference at 5,000 miles. News Flash: I never had a problem with my Optima with the Theta II engine. The main two brands of oil were Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. Both oils were purchased in 5W30.

The Tough Guard is only like $1 or $2 less than the Ultra, so I'd just get the Ultra (or Titanium at AAP) and run it 2x OCIs. You'd be saving filter money that way, and the Ultra/Titanium can do 10K easily.
*Sounds good to go two OCI's of 4K each with an Ultra #9688 ... This vehicle has seen <5K OCI's with synthetic oil it's whole life (36K miles) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back