Fram Ultra on Toyota 1MZ-FE.....start up tapping

I used many Toyota D1’s on the 1mzfe never a start up noise. Since I read here about nitrile I took a used one that had been left outside for at least two years, and the adbv was perfect. I froze the adbv and it was perfect.
The 1mz has a 180 thermostat I believe, and one thing it didn't do was over heat. The filter near the exhaust heat shield doesn’t do anything to it either. There is a manifold, then a Heat Shield. It is not just the manifold. Then there are 3 gals per min or so of oil running through the filter, keeping it near engine oil temp. Actually the car did over heat when someone drove it for three days with no coolant it. The filter wasn’t cooked and the engine ran fine after problem fixed. Some of the wiring under the hood looked cooked. I couldn’t believe that engine could take such a thing. It still idled silent and ran smooth as glass like always. No coolant at all ruptured hose, bone dry.

Last edited:
I used many Toyota D1’s on the 1mzfe never a start up noise. Since I read here about nitrile I took a used one that had been left outside for at least two years, and the adbv was perfect. I froze the adbv and it was perfect.
The 1mz has a 180 thermostat I believe, and one thing it didn't do was over heat. The filter near the exhaust heat shield doesn’t do anything to it either. There is a manifold, then a Heat Shield. It is not just the manifold. Then there are 3 gals per min or so of oil running through the filter, keeping it near engine oil temp. Actually the car did over heat when someone drove it for three days with no coolant it. The filter wasn’t cooked and the engine ran fine after problem fixed. Some of the wiring under the hood looked cooked. I couldn’t believe that engine could take such a thing. It still idled silent and ran smooth as glass like always. No coolant at all ruptured hose, bone dry.
Could also be an issue with shipping the filters in the mail. Mine didn't have any padding in the box of my 5 pack of D1 filters, so it is completely possible, IMO, that a hard drop might have put my filters out of spec. One clearly had a bad ADBV right from the get go, and now one is showing signs of leaking down a little after going into the second OCI on the same filter.

I also think it's possible that some engines just don't make any noise on startup if the ADBV is leaking. My truck never makes any strange loud rattle like my van does when doing a full filter and oil change and starting up dry. Van's 1mzfe rattles like a can of marbles until the oil is pumped through completely.

I also think it's possible that some engines just don't make any noise on startup if the ADBV is leaking. My truck never makes any strange loud rattle like my van does when doing a full filter and oil change and starting up dry. Van's 1mzfe rattles like a can of marbles until the oil is pumped through completely.
Agree with this. None of my vehicles make any engine noises when I do a dry start after an oil change.

Well so far I have started it three days in a row from a cold state, and I have had absolutely no noise whatsoever with the new oil/filter combo.
So at this point there was no noise with the cheap Puro oil filter and unknown Pep Boys oil and no noise with the OEM filter and Mobil 1 5W30.

However there was noise with the Fram Ultra and Kirkland 5W30 oil. I wouldn't think it is related to the Kirkland oil.
Why did you change out two variables instead of actually trying to figure out the cause?

I’m pretty sure it was a defective oil filter and not the oil causing the noise. Why dump perfectly good oil? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Could also be an issue with shipping the filters in the mail. Mine didn't have any padding in the box of my 5 pack of D1 filters, so it is completely possible, IMO, that a hard drop might have put my filters out of spec. One clearly had a bad ADBV right from the get go, and now one is showing signs of leaking down a little after going into the second OCI on the same filter.

Some marbles can be expected on a dry start after an oil change but not so much on a start after that. Some engines make a lot of other noise when they start and maybe can't really hear the marbles. Low knocking sound is the bad one, not so bad is the metallic tapping higher pitch a couple seconds.

Well the Fram Ultra oil filter in question has been shipped back to Fram to be evaluated. The company was wonderful to deal with, even sending me a pre paid "oil filter collection kit". I will let you know what they say.

You maybe doing yourself a favor wiith the short OCI anyway.
That engine is a known sludger iirc. I loved mine, put 180k on it and I hope you put twice as much on yours.
Don’t know what the previous owner did, but your care and awareness should serve you well.

Fram ultra make my engine rattle at start up too . After 4 fram ultra . I’m stop using it . The orange can is make less rattle . With MCFL820s it make zero rattle .

Back