Fram Ultra on Toyota 1MZ-FE.....start up tapping

Might be a faulty anti-drainback valve in the filter letting oil drain out. I have the exact same engine and had an OEM yzzd1 filter on there and would cause the tapping on startup. Went away when I swapped the filter for another OEM unit. If you have the right filter size, there is no way a Fram Ultra would be too restrictive, unless it is faulty to some major degree.
Realizing that Fram has regained “honor” on BITOG I have had several Fram filters with leaky anti-drain back valves causing cold start rattle. It’s best to try another filter.

I've read MANY posts on bitog that certain oils (combined with specific engines) causing start-up noise or noise in general ... or that oils with moly reducing start-up noise in some cases.

assuming the oils are pumpable, I don't think we can totally rule out the oil i.e. say there is no chance (0%) that the oil is the cause of it ... maybe not a high or significant % of cases but not 0 either.

Where are the hemi tick guys?
Not likely. The 1mzfe vvt-i engine makes a very distinct rattle on startup when the oil filter has drained. Way more than any oil type would cause, assuming it is within spec. I thought it might had been the oil when mine did it, but it was the filter, which even as the highly regarded OEM, still failed. Now, does the rattle mean it's hurting anything? I don't know. I think the rattle might be the VVT phasers losing their oil prime and rattling until they are filled again? Who knows...

I was just pointing out other potential variables.
sounds like in op's case, the consensus are that the oil filter is the main cause ...

Try a Super Tech ST 3614, I bet it is quiet. If not, well add it to the list.
It could be the Ultra shook loose inside enough to break the adbv seal, never know, they have had the tendency to come loose inside for some reason, probably the extra element weight.

Well the noise is annoying me especially since I know it was not there before....tomorrow morning I will change the oil and filter. I picked up a case of Mobil 1 5w30 at Costco on sale and a Toyota 90915-YZZG2 oil filter. Hopefully this combination solves the issue. The filter on this engine is inverted so a well functioning ADBV is vital!

I've read MANY posts on bitog that certain oils (combined with specific engines) causing start-up noise or noise in general ... or that oils with moly reducing start-up noise in some cases.

assuming the oils are pumpable, I don't think we can totally rule out the oil i.e. say there is no chance (0%) that the oil is the cause of it ... maybe not a high or significant % of cases but not 0 either.

Where are the hemi tick guys?
True that some oils seem to make engines run and sound quieter after the engine has ran and is warmed up. But start-up noises that go away very shortly after starting is due to lack of oil pressure and lubrication (which leaked out oil galleries can cause) or engine issues (ie, piston slap), not caused by the kind of oil.

Once there is full oil pressure and oil gets to the parts making noise, then the noise typically disappears. If an engine is making noise well after start-up, then it could be the oil, or more likely a mechanical issue with the engine.

The Ultra is history, an OEM Toyota sits in it's place! I will update in the morning........

The Ultra is history, an OEM Toyota sits in it's place! I will update in the morning........
Well, not to make you nervous, but the "OEM" filter you put on there is a rebranded Purolator I believe. May have escaped the frying pan and landed into the fire. LOL ;) Purolator doesn't have the best rep around these parts due to filter media tears. But, at least it comes with a silicone ADBV, so that might cure your current filter issue.

In the future, order the YZZD1 filter from a Toyota dealership for your engine. Packs of 5 are around $25, so $5 each, which is a decent deal. Never buy any Toyota filter from anywhere other than a dealership, as the counterfeit market for Toyota parts is insane and they're everywhere.

I have been using the YZZD1 filter on my 1mzfe v6, but I am thinking of going to Fram Ultra so I can leave it on there for multiple oil changes. I hate the mess this engine makes changing the filters, especially since the oil changes have to be short miles.

If you had no start-up noise and after you changed the brand of oil and filter, you made noise, then you already know the answer. Its just 2 variables and not rocket science.

Either your oil suxx or your filter suxx. Was the filter sourced online or purchased at a local store? If online, I'd purchase a locally sourced filter now.

So, keep the oil, change out the filter, and top off the oil. Post the results. Try the Napa Platinum or Purolator Boss.

Concerning the oil, and a possibly (re)tired oil pump, you might have an issue. Do you expect the same from a 5w30 that is 9.5cst to another at 12cst?

Without a VOA/UOA of the old brand oil and the new brand oil, you won't know how temperamental your engine will be with a different oil/filter combo.

This certified sludge monster is one of those engines that I won't install conventional oil.
And, if in budget, get the final rev valvecover/pcv upgrades.

Since its a certified sludge monster, and since the 7500 mile oil change interval dropped to 5000 miles because of the settled class action lawsuit, I would even consider the FL400s/3600/1516 sized filters.

I haven't heard any startup noises from the XG3614 on the 1mz/3mz engines I've installed it in. If the engine is that picky, a problem is developing.

New to me ...when did these ultra have leaky adbv ?

some time cheap plain filler with silicone adbv work better then a wire back synthetic media filter lol

Well so far I have started it three days in a row from a cold state, and I have had absolutely no noise whatsoever with the new oil/filter combo.
So at this point there was no noise with the cheap Puro oil filter and unknown Pep Boys oil and no noise with the OEM filter and Mobil 1 5W30.

However there was noise with the Fram Ultra and Kirkland 5W30 oil. I wouldn't think it is related to the Kirkland oil.

Probably just a bad ADBV. It can happen with any filter. Should have just changed the filter to verify for sure, but agree the oil isn't really going to matter when it comes to start-up noise.

Did you shake the removed Ultra to see if it rattled at all?

I emailed Fram and they are going to send me a "recovery box" to send the filter back to them. I am very curious what they find.

The Fram Ultra is the only filter I've found that routinely does NOT result in drain-back rattle after time on this engine. I've run for 15k, another for 22k, and the current one is at about 14k I think on a 1mz-fe. I would consistently get the drain-back failure with other, including Denso, filters within a few thousand miles. Perhaps there's something going on here, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one again. My theory is that it's the heat of the exhaust header right over the filter that cooks most ADBVs and they lose resiliency.

The Fram Ultra is the only filter I've found that routinely does NOT result in drain-back rattle after time on this engine. I've run for 15k, another for 22k, and the current one is at about 14k I think on a 1mz-fe. I would consistently get the drain-back failure with other, including Denso, filters within a few thousand miles. Perhaps there's something going on here, but I wouldn't hesitate to try one again. My theory is that it's the heat of the exhaust header right over the filter that cooks most ADBVs and they lose resiliency.
You could very well be right there. I have a Toyota Denso OEM Thailand filter on mine now. Usually these filters should be able to go 7K miles, so I left mine on for a second 3K OCI on my 1MZFE in a Sienna. I'm now getting close to 5K on the filter and it is starting to causing the rattle a little on startup now if it has been sitting for a day. These engines already have super heated oil and run hot, then on top of that, they put the stupid oil filter in probably the hottest place an oil filter could be next to the exhaust manifold. It also doesn't help that the radiator is so huge and efficient, the fans hardly ever turn on, so in traffic, that oil filter is getting absolutely cooked. I had a previous OEM Denso filter on there which had a faulty ADBV right from the get go.

After my OEM experience, I am going to try Fram or one of the other extended OCI filters with silicone ADBV. Then run Mobil 1 EP oil for 5-6K OCI multiple times on the same filter.

If the filter had a cellophane cover over the base plate then it was likely a Denso and not a Purolator/Mann & Hummel

If the filter had a cellophane cover over the base plate then it was likely a Denso and not a Purolator/Mann & Hummel
I don't think Toyota allows manufacturing changes to happen with their filters using the same filter code. If manufacturing changes, they change the code. The 90915-YZZG2 has been well-proven to be made my Purolator. Only Toyota filter codes with a D are made by Denso according to the internets.

The D1 and D3 filters are made by Denso in Thailand and have a reputation (a very long one) for being exceptionally well made.

There are a LOT of Tacoma’s and tundra’s running around with a bunch of miles on those filters.

Back