Fram Ultra on Toyota 1MZ-FE.....start up tapping

Hi everyone,
I recently changed the oil and filter on my "new to me" 2001 Toyota Avalon with the 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE engine. The car has 99,000 miles on it. I have little driving time with the car, but since I have changed the oil and filter I have noticed a start up tapping noise if started from cold (parked overnight for example). The noise disappears very quickly, but it is without question there.
I used Kirkland 5w30 and a Fram Ultra oil filter. The previous oil filter/oil was a very cheap Purolator and unknown brand of oil that Pep Boys installed. With the Pep Boys combo installed it made no start up noises.
Is it possible that the new Fram Ultra oil filter is too restrictive for this engine? Should I just run the OEM Toyota filter?

Thank you!

Might be a faulty anti-drainback valve in the filter letting oil drain out. I have the exact same engine and had an OEM yzzd1 filter on there and would cause the tapping on startup. Went away when I swapped the filter for another OEM unit. If you have the right filter size, there is no way a Fram Ultra would be too restrictive, unless it is faulty to some major degree.

It’s possible the person you bought it from had an oil additive in it to quiet down the valve tappets.
It was a family members car, so I know that it had no additives. I’m thinking a faulty anti drain back valve, especially given the pitch of the filter on that engine

I have the same problem with my wife's Mitsubishi. Changed the oil- same brand oil- same brand filter, now it rattles on start-up. It's no worse than the OEM filter, so I'm lettin' it ride.

It was a family members car, so I know that it had no additives. I’m thinking a faulty anti drain back valve, especially given the pitch of the filter on that engine
It’s possible.
Take it off and put on a NAPA Gold 1348 or a Toyota filter then, top up with oil.
It might be time to switch to a high mileage oil.

Ultras aren't flow restricive. Read the thread below.

I agree that it was probably a leaky ADBV.

If an engine makes start-up noises with multiple filters, then it's probably not the filter.
True, but I guess I wasn't clear. Been using Brand "X" filter since first oil change. Fixed rattle that OEM filter had. Brand "X" filter has had no rattle for the last several changes, but this last change with Brand "X" does have the rattle. I'm going to say that it's THAT individual filter.

You could try a Zetec filter, like the Fram PH8316 or Wix 51315 that has an anti-siphon valve in it (keeps some oil in the filter) :unsure:

Wait another week or two and see if it goes away

Are we assuming that the oil (viscosity, add packs, etc.) has 0 impact and the issue can only be filter related?

Only time the oil would cause start-up noise is if it was too thick to be fully pumpable, and the lubrication system was starved of oil flow. Example: starting at -20F with 20W-50 in the sump.

Get another one!
I've had at least one filter from every mfg cause startup rattle. Change them and it's gone even when using the same part #. Just get another one and see if you can return the ULTRA that is causing you this startup rattle.

Changing the oil filter without changing the oil, how much oil might I lose?

Oh IDK, maybe 6-8 oz???
If you have a straggler qt of oil on hand, just add after the fact. Or, don't worry about it and just add oil when you buy some more.

I've read MANY posts on bitog that certain oils (combined with specific engines) causing start-up noise or noise in general ... or that oils with moly reducing start-up noise in some cases.

assuming the oils are pumpable, I don't think we can totally rule out the oil i.e. say there is no chance (0%) that the oil is the cause of it ... maybe not a high or significant % of cases but not 0 either.

Where are the hemi tick guys?

Last edited:
Back