Fram Ultra not ok for my 2018 Impala??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically, the Fram Ultra listed for my Impala has a By-Pass Valve Setting of 9-15 psi. I just came across a GM service bulletin regarding the required spin on oil filter for my Impala, and the recommended GM filter's By-Pass Valve Setting is 14.5- 21.8 psi. This spec, and a lower efficiency, are the differences I can see from the Fram Ultra. Could GM's filter requirement be due to a higher volume oil pump, which would be the only way I can see to increase the pressure drop across the filter, thus requiring a higher By-Pass Valve Setting.
21.gif

Of course, I recently bought three Fram Ultra's for the Impala, to go with the M1 Walmart had on clearance.
frown.gif
Do I need to get rid of the Fram Ultra's and buy oil filters from GM?

The service bulletin is below:

#15-00-90-002: Information for Installing the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter When Servicing - (Apr 1, 2015)
Subject: Information for Installing the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter When Servicing

Models: 2012-2016 Buick Enclave, LaCrosse
2012 Cadillac SRX
2013-2016 Cadillac SRX, XTS
2012-2013 Chevrolet Captiva (VIN L), Impala
2012-2016 Chevrolet Equinox, Traverse
2014-2016 Chevrolet Captiva (VIN L), Impala (VIN W), Impala (VIN (1)
2012-2016 GMC Acadia, Terrain
Equipped with Engine RPO — LFW, LFX or LLT
Excluding Police Vehicles Equipped with RPO — 9C1, 9C3

Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Importance of Ensuring the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter is Installed
â€

Importance of Using the GM Recommended Replacement ACDelco® PF63E Oil Filter

Notice: ACDelco® PF63E (GM #19330000) oil filters meet GMPT performance specifications as defined by General Motors.

The purpose of this bulletin is to reinforce to the Service Personnel the critical importance of using the recommended replacement ACDelco® PF63E oil filter that is specified by General Motors for these V6 engines when servicing them in order to ensure proper engine oil filtration and engine performance.

Beginning in 2012 the V6 engine was redesigned with tighter engine tolerances. The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.

These V6 engines are factory built with an ACDelco® oil filter PF64, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However these two oil filters are not the same and have different internal specifications. The OEM PF64 oil filter has a much higher bypass valve rating that matches the service oil filter requirement of the PF63E which was specifically chosen to match the performance demands of these engines.

The ACDelco® PF64 oil filter installed by the manufacturing plant meets the specifications of the ACDelco® PF63E, but due to the length of the ACDelco® PF63E oil filter can, the engine plant cannot build with it because it currently interferes with the assembly line process.

ACDelco® PF63E Primary Performance Improvements

The PF63E primary performance improvement relates to the bypass valve design. The ACDelco® PF63E has a compression spring loaded nylon poppet that outperforms the current valve design.

Other benefits include the following:

•Designed with five times greater burst strength than most engine oil operating pressures after the oil reaches operating temperatures.
•Bypass valve opening pressure has been increased from 100 to 150â€kPa and is statistically more capable.
•Patented cellulose media traps particles that are 1/3 the width of a human hair.
•98 percent single-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30â€microns.
•Hot oil durability has been improved by the elimination of adhesive.
•Improved level of robustness to water accumulation.
•Excellent cold weather performance −22°F (−30°C) when using dexos1®.
•The element integrity (collapse strength), remains the same.
•The excellent filtration performance (efficiency and capacity) remains the same.
•The filter shell configuration is unchanged, which means existing oil filter cap wrenches continue to fit.
â€

ACDelco® is a Registered Trademark of General Motors LLC

dexos1® is a Registered Trademark of General Motors LLC
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Could GM's filter requirement be due to a higher volume oil pump, which would be the only way I can see to increase the pressure drop across the filter, thus requiring a higher By-Pass Valve Setting.
21.gif

No ... I highly doubt your Impala has a 20 GPM oil pump. GM is paranoid that the computer controlled, variable volume oil pump can't "react" fast enough during cold starts because of where the pressure feedback sensor is located down stream of the oil pump.

But my argument all along on this subject is even if the oil pump's flow wasn't being controlled for a few seconds, it's still not putting out any more volume than a good old fashioned oil pump that puts out a decent flow rate, and they never required oil filters with 20+ PSI bypass valves. A positive displacement oil pump can only put out what its physical dimensions are, and the RPM the engine is turning at - giving a GPM flow vs RPM performance curve. The computer controls the flow to the engine down (not up) from that performance curve.

Read between the lines, they obviously has enough problems that they felt the need to issues a TSB for specific models.
When I see things like this the only filter that would ever go on that engine is the ones they recommend, if you use anything else you just opened pandora's box.

Compared to each other, I wonder how much time each filter would spend in bypass mode? Probably only one or two GM engineers who would have an answer for that.

I noticed that the engine was redesigned in 2012, but the TSB was issued in 2015. "Read between the lines, they obviously had enough problems that they felt the need to issues a TSB for specific models." That makes sense Trav.

The drivetrain is under warranty for five years yet, no point in giving them a reason for possible warranty hassles in the future, over an oil filter.

Last edited:
Fram filters are sometimes very generic and are not really supposed to be used on some engines. Like my VW has a factory filter of 36 PSI, while the one Fram specs is 12.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Fram filters are sometimes very generic and are not really supposed to be used on some engines. Like my VW has a factory filter of 36 PSI, while the one Fram specs is 12.

Does anyone in the aftermarket make a filter for that car that has a 36 PSI bypass valve?

Just for clarification, the filters put on at the manufacturing plant are PF64's but match the bypass pressure of the longer PF63's. If you stay with AC Delco do you plan to use PF63's or PF 64's? Will both fit your chassis?

Yes I know, this isn't the real issue but I was wondering if both fit your car.
The reason I ask is because Fram is about to come out with a re-designed 10575 with the higher bypass pressure. The 10575 is the same length as the PF63.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Does anyone in the aftermarket make a filter for that car that has a 36 PSI bypass valve?

Only Wix and Mann filters. Which is made specifically for that engine in the Jetta. Otherwise its just a common Motorcraft 910s or Fram 3614.

I only use the German Mann or Mahle in a VW now although I have used a Fram Ultra with no issues until I saw the difference in spec and started questioning about using it.

Use the Wix XP or Napa Platinum instead
smile.gif

Wix makes a high-bypass filter for your Impala. Fram will be making one soon
thumbsup2.gif

If they issued a TSB specifically addressing oil filters I would either get the OE filter or search for something in the aftermarket that meets the requirements to the letter. I have a feeling OE will probably be the best option in this case.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Just for clarification, the filters put on at the manufacturing plant are PF64's but match the bypass pressure of the longer PF63's. If you stay with AC Delco do you plan to use PF63's or PF 64's? Will both fit your chassis?

Yes I know, this isn't the real issue but I was wondering if both fit your car.
The reason I ask is because Fram is about to come out with a re-designed 10575 with the higher bypass pressure. The 10575 is the same length as the PF63.

The PF63E will fit. The PF 64 is shorter, and is used on the assembly line for the extra clearance. A re-designed Fram Ultra with higher bypass pressure? Yay!
banana2.gif
I stayed up way too late last night reading about the ACDelco PF63E and wasn't impressed with what I found. Quite a bit online from 2015/2016 about those filters collapsing and causing reduced oil pressure. Maybe those were early editions of that filter, and maybe the incidence is quite low, but not very confidence inspiring. Looking forward to picking up those new Ultras.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I have a Napa store only a few blocks from here (work). Napa Platinum would be a good option for now. Thanks!

smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I have a Napa store only a few blocks from here (work). Napa Platinum would be a good option for now. Thanks!
Poor filtering performance in those Wix XP's and the clone NAPA Platinum. Do not choose those if you want good filtering performance. The XP and Platinum oil filters get an abysmal 50% @ 20 microns score on the 4548-12 test, while their own regular Wix and NAPAGold oil filters do 95% @ 20 microns, much better. I'd get the regular Wix or NAPA Gold oil filters, and they do have the right pressure bypass threshold the Impala and many other GM engines need.

Do I need to get rid of the Fram Ultra's and buy oil filters from GM?

I think you would be better served by doing the opposite.

smile.gif

I think it's worth noting that the bypass valve setting on the filter is dependent on the media's strength and pressure drop across it at a given viscosity and flow. GM specs that for their own filters, for their own media

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Poor filtering performance in those Wix XP's and the clone NAPA Platinum. Do not choose those if you want good filtering performance. The XP and Platinum oil filters get an abysmal 50% @ 20 microns score on the 4548-12 test, while their own regular Wix and NAPAGold oil filters do 95% @ 20 microns, much better. I'd get the regular Wix or NAPA Gold oil filters, and they do have the right pressure bypass threshold the Impala and many other GM engines need.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize 'premium' synthetic media filters could be so different in their performance.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
I think it's worth noting that the bypass valve setting on the filter is dependent on the media's strength and pressure drop across it at a given viscosity and flow. GM specs that for their own filters, for their own media

I wondered about that.. I would like to know if the Fram Ultra is less restrictive than the ACDelco, and therefore doesn't need a bypass setting as high as the ACDelco.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter

I wondered about that.. I would like to know if the Fram Ultra is less restrictive than the ACDelco, and therefore doesn't need a bypass setting as high as the ACDelco.
confused2.gif

This is the exact reason I have not shyed away from the Oem filters on the Mazda. They issued a bulletin similar to this about by pass pressure so I have not been brave enough to go aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back