Fram Ultra… did they switch back to wire screen backed media or did I buy old stock? XG4386

I plan to use hoses which are properly rated and crimped by a local industrial hose shop. Stainless flex will be too stiff, but there are many other hose types which will meet the need.

As Zee said, this is not a bypass filter setup, it is full flow which its prime purpose is to stop "wrenching" on the filter housing which is plastic and cracks. I believe mine may be leaking now and it's a very labor intensive process so if I'm going to change it out, I'm putting in preventative measures.

Oh I see! OK.

Yes, you are right, there are plenty of more flexible hose options, you simply must ensure the hose is rated for the temperatures of the oil. Most of the leaks I see though are from fittings, so if you're getting them professionally crimped you should be in good shape.

More added to my stash... I would not normally pay $13.99 for these, but I got some free perks bucks and so I ended up paying $9 for THREE Fram Titaniums. Wire backed! Best deal I've gotten in a while.

My shipment from Rock Auto is set to arrive tomorrow (delayed due to weather) I will update with status of wire backing of tomorrows shipment (Granted FedEx shows up on time).

1677730040892.png

1677730068470.png

1677730089975.png

1677730106477.png

Those are older Titaniums (near mid 2020), but good to go. Newer ones may not have the wire backed media anymore.

Well karma just came back and bit me for buying up all the wire backed ones. I just got six of XG4386 with Louvers and new media :(
:( :(

I have another order of 20 filters on the way from another Rock Auto warehouse which are probably the same thing.

Well what can you do but just laugh, I got all excited thinking I was outsmarting the system and now I have 1-3 cases of these weird filters.

They have the pink media inside though so I am happy about that, it’s not white. Just no wire backing and LOUVERS on a FRAM? LOLL

I will post photos of the inside when I get home in a few hours. Date codes are 2023 on the 6 I just received.

They have the pink media inside though so I am happy about that, it’s not white.
Hummm ... pink media on the new Ultras without wire backing. Wonder if Fram is changing the media again, because I thought the Ultras without the wire backing had more of a white media. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you could cut one open and check it out - ?.

Hummm ... pink media on the new Ultras without wire backing. Wonder if Fram is changing the media again, because I thought the Ultras without the wire backing had more of a white media. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you could cut one open and check it out - ?.

I might have been wrong it might be the fact I am looking at it backwards because I am looking down the center tube, which is the output… so I am probably looking at the cellulose backing.

It’s hard to see through the small slits… When I get home tonight, I am going to shine a bright flashlight down there and see if I can get a good pic. If not, I’ll cut one open.

E1C2FEE2-10A6-44DE-B300-18D98DB667D3.jpeg

Old metal backed 2022 on the left.. new style 2023 on the right. Yeah I was looking at the cellulose backing. I suspect they are using these small louver/slits in the metal to better hold the filter media since the wire backing is gone, but that is just speculation. It might be something else like manufacturing cost, etc.

It's extremely difficult to see the media with the small louvers versus the holes. But I think i was wrong about it being pink.. i just new it wasn't white, but I was looking on the wrong side for the white media.

1677799748274.jpg

1677799770636.jpg

1677799786933.jpg

1677799804645.jpg

1677799820189.jpg

1677799832972.jpg

I suspect they are using these small louver/slits in the metal to better hold the filter media since the wire backing is gone, but that is just speculation.
I don't think lovers over holes will make any difference to the support of the media. Those louvers look real good though. I would have no problem using those Ultras.

I don't think lovers over holes will make any difference to the support of the media. Those louvers look real good though. I would have no problem using those Ultras.

Yeah I was very hesitant about them, but the quality is phenominal. So they at least have that going for them. Now.. the performance of the media? Who knows.

The thing that scares me is the old ones performing so much better than everything else on the market, that Fram decided they could make some cost saving measures while still remaining competitive. Now this is complete speculation, and it is very possible the new media is an improvement like they say...

But you know, unless its a huge downgrade from the old media, it's still the best on the market. So I feel good using them.

Yeah I was very hesitant about them, but the quality is phenominal. So they at least have that going for them. Now.. the performance of the media? Who knows.

The thing that scares me is the old ones performing so much better than everything else on the market, that Fram decided they could make some cost saving measures while still remaining competitive. Now this is complete speculation, and it is very possible the new media is an improvement like they say...

But you know, unless its a huge downgrade from the old media, it's still the best on the market. So I feel good using them.
The new Ultra is still rated at 99*% @ 20u and rated for 20K miles, so I wouldn't say the efficiency could have changed much. Still a very good performing oil filter.

The fram titanium is a viable option esp if AAP coupon codes over 15% come out.

I am currently using the new ultra on the subaru. Hard to pass up under 7$ each

Wooooohoooo!!

12 OG

6 new

Not bad, I’ll take it!

Seems like Advance Auto has plenty of old stock, the Titanium are more expensive and seem to not sell as fast as Rock Auto moves these.

2022 XG4386 - All mine are Wire backed

2023 XG4386 - All mine are new type

But as for all the regular Ultras... I think its game over they are mostly all switched over unless you buy from someone who moves stock slowly.

Attachments

• 369FD31C-EBD5-42F2-8767-40CD56D6A76D.jpeg
    369FD31C-EBD5-42F2-8767-40CD56D6A76D.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 898DB551-AE83-45B9-BB9F-5D7234A87796.jpeg
    898DB551-AE83-45B9-BB9F-5D7234A87796.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
One thing that worries me about the new style Fram Ultra's is that the lack of the metal screen will mean a lower shelf lifetime for the filter before it loses structural integrity.

This last year up until now I have been successfully running Fram Xtended Guard (Fram's flagship prior to the Ultra) and Fram Ultras that are 10+ years old at the time they were installed on my car with no issues.

At my next oil change, I will cut open the Fram Xtended Guard that is currently on my car and post pictures. But if it's anything like my past experiences then it should be perfectly fine. I have known the Fram Xtended Guard and Ultra's to hold up very well, even after sitting on a shelf for 10+ years. No glue issues, no rust, just solid performers just like new ones.

So on the new style Ultra, with the lack of a metal screen, will the cellulose backing hold up as long as the wire backed full synthetic? I do not know.

If anyone else here has used cellulose/paper style filters that are over 10 years old let me know how it worked out.

Back