Fram ToughGuard vs Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always TG's for me. I run 10k OCI's and will always change the filter at that interval as well. Since the TG will easily due that, at the same efficiency as the Ultra, it makes no sense to pay extra for an Ultra unless just having the best makes you feel better. Which is absolutely fine of course.

The ToughGuard was updated at the beginning of the year, but have yet to see what the update was besides a price increase (Walmart did a clearance of the "old" ones, and the shelf had TG with "improved" on them (or something to that effect) to hint at a change).
At least with the regular orange cans, we know that they were upgraded to silicone ADV, but the price stayed the same.

I personally feel with the recent price increase of the Toughguard that it is not much of a difference between that and an Ultra, and in a few cases, there is only $0.60 difference in price at Walmart.
When they were in the low $5 range, they were a really good deal, but in the mid $6 (or higher) range, not as good of a deal, but still a really good filter.
I have several of the "old" TG for my truck and motorcycle.

A better argument here would be Tough Guard vs. EXTRA GUARD-since the EG got a silicone ADBV, and there have been dissections showing TGs with non-straight pleats. The Tough Guard has always seemed like a bit overpriced-engineered media endcaps, with a price of $2-3 MORE than an Ultra eBay 6 pack, and within $2 of the Wal-Mart Ultra price-for an inferior filter. If a 5K or less OCI is needed, any mediocre non-Puro filter can handle that!

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Always TG's for me. I run 10k OCI's and will always change the filter at that interval as well. Since the TG will easily due that, at the same efficiency as the Ultra, it makes no sense to pay extra for an Ultra unless just having the best makes you feel better. Which is absolutely fine of course.

I guess you saw my 20k tough guard eh Tim?
smile.gif

I was running the Ultras but decided, since I normally do 2 OC's per year per vehicle, the TG is more than adequate (and a touch cheaper) than the Ultras.

If it weren't for our cold winters up here, I'd likely resort back to using Dino oil instead of synthetic, but that is another story/debate.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Doesn't the Tough Guard have syn-blend media and the Ultra full synthetic media? Extra Guard has neither.

Extra Guard is a blended media filter, but they do not call it synthetic.

http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-extra-guardsup-sup-oil-filter/
Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle

The Tough Guard is specifically called a synthetic blend filter media (and has higher filtration numbers).

Originally Posted by dawgn86
Is the Fram ultra the gold colored filter with the tacky end grip?

Yes, and they will have the "XG" designation in the filter number.

Ok..thank you..the XG was throwing me off

The XG box will read XG10575
The Tough Guard will read TG10575
The High mileage will read HM10575
but the Extra Guard will read PH10575

There is also a High Performance filter for my wife's Impala that reads HP10575

Originally Posted by irv
Ok..thank you..the XG was throwing me off

The XG box will read XG10575
The Tough Guard will read TG10575
The High mileage will read HM10575
but the Extra Guard will read PH10575

There is also a High Performance filter for my wife's Impala that reads HP10575

The XG part number designation is for Ultra's

And don't forget the FP (Fram Pro, same as the ExtraGuard, but white) and the FPS (Fram Pro Synthetic, identical to the Ultra, just no grippy stuff on the end).

The old FP was a Frampion filter, but has changed to a regular Fram in the past year.

And there was an orange can Fram Pro Plus (FPP), installer version of the Tough Guard with no Sure Grip coating, but it ceased production I think before the Frampion period ended.

I asked in another thread but got no response so will ask here re: buying 6 pack on Ebay

Do the Ultras have a "shelf life" or not really?

As I don't drive a lot and would be running 2x OCIs on Hondas, I might use 2 filters every 1.5 to 2 yrs, so a 6 pack could mean that the last couple I end up using are 6 years sitting on the shelf. Is that too long?

Also any chance these are "fakes" or customer returns or something damaged or no?

I think the Ultras (or any other full synthetic media filter with a silicone ADBV) would last 6 years on the shelf ... but ensure they are stored in a warm dry place like inside the house. You could also just change the filter every time since they are such a good price.

As far as "fakes" ... guess that depends on the eBay seller. But some cut and posts here shows eBay purchased Ultras to look identical inside as Ultras bought at retail stores.

Yes I would store them inside

Right now it appears there isn't a "case deal" on my model of Ultra, so no sense in buying 6 of them if it only saves a buck per unit. I will keep watching for deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back