FRAM TOUGH GUARD 4967 CUT OPEN

Good Evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Since we had 65F weather here today, I ventured out and changed the oil and filter in and on the Camry. Tough Guard filter had 28,200 miles on it
shocked2.gif

Ohh, the HORROR! Put some Mobil 1 0w30 DEXOS 1 GEN2 and a FRAM ULTRA 3614 from Chris (Subyrubieroo) in and on. Previous oils ran for the whole 28,200 miles were M1 0w30, Rotella gas Truck 5w20, Valvoline Maxlife Syn 10w30 that had sodium add pack and some new Valvoline Maxlife syn 5w20. YES, oil was jet black; thanks to multiple KREEN doses in sump and lots in the fuel. I use Valero and Shell fuel.

Seam looked fine, sorry I didnt take a pic of that.

Enjoy the photos
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Looks ok. I'd spend $4 more and buy an Ultra.

Yeah, I was surprised.

Originally Posted by oldhp

This here.

If a FRAM ULTRA was IMO reasonably priced I'd gladly buy one. BUT, since Chris likes me and sent me the ULTRA 3614 why not use it?
lol.gif

Whew! By looking at it, I would swear it came off of a Kawasaki V-twin ZTR, that used 15w40 HDEO. Anyway, it's a decent filter for V-twin mower engines for 100 hours.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by oldhp

This here.

If a FRAM ULTRA was IMO reasonably priced I'd gladly buy one. BUT, since Chris likes me and sent me the ULTRA 3614 why not use it?
lol.gif

The longer you run the filter, the cheaper cost per OCI it becomes.
grin2.gif

Good to see a TG can take that much use and stay intact.

Zee: thank you. I was pleasantly surprised. Date code was smeared even when I installed it on September 2018
shocked2.gif

You could have said it had 2,820 miles on it and I would have believed it.

I would love to do some high mileage filter changes, but I just don't drive that much.
Heck, I got my F150 in 2014 with 168,xxx miles on it, it now has 199,724 on it.
I changed the oil on it in Feb of 2019 and have only put 3,100 miles on it.

I don't put 20,000 miles in a year between the 4 vehicles in my house hold.

I was a bit taken back by the pics. But when I read it again and saw 28K I was impressed.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Great job........and like stated earlier, that Oil is BLACK....almost like it came out of a Diesel engine!
Looks like your Kreen treatment did it's job!

Yeah, consumption seemed to drop. At todays oil change, out of 5 quarts I put in at Christmas time, I drained out tad over 4.5 quarts.

Engine runs great, plenty of power. Need to get off my duff and change out the leaky valve cover gasket as its leaking down onto cradle and filter

All in all I ain't complaining

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Adam those vanes looked a little wavy but that must have been from when that gal rear-ended you.

lol.gif

Probably from going thru winter of 2018 and 2019 I'd guess. Maybe I'll go 45k on the ULTRA. Yes, I have balls. People using "tearolators" would never go over 20k on a BOSS or P1
grin.gif

What visible particles did it capture? You can see better if you wick the most of the oil out.

I ran a ToughGuard cartridge about the same distance. It came out looking virtually brand new (aside from obviously oily). The oil wasn't nearly as dark, so I could see what was in there more easily, even before de-oiling it.

Originally Posted by CR94
What visible particles did it capture? You can see better if you wick the most of the oil out.

I ran a ToughGuard cartridge about the same distance. It came out looking virtually brand new (aside from obviously oily). The oil wasn't nearly as dark, so I could see what was in there more easily, even before de-oiling it.

I meant to wick the oil out, but the lady had her "need" list and the wind kicked up like a bugger. Luckily I didnt get a oil bath. I didnt see anything bad or major in pleats, just coal black oil

Adam-keep an eye on eBay, there have been some decent deals lately-I picked up 4 FPS4967s (Fram Pro Synthetic, Ultra without the Sure Grip) for $6.35 each recently, you shouldn't have to pay $8.99 for them!

Back