Fram TG3506 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on the Burb for 5,845 miles/4 months, including a 3,000 mile/10 day road trip, running G-Oil 5W-30. I will be sending an oil sample in for a UOA.

Disassembled components. Well constructed with a very pliable silicone ADBV.
20140830_144425-1_zpsrv1otqv8.jpg

Seam side with pleats that are wider than on the other side of the media but not at all wavy and no tears. The scuff on the end cap is from where my hobby hacksaw nicked it while cutting the can open.
20140830_144441-1_zpsvgwfqemk.jpg

Other side of the media with even pleats.
20140830_144450-1_zps34g4zzaq.jpg

Looks like a good filter overall. It does not have as many pleats as the Bosch Premium 3423 that I used on the previous OC (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._(M#Post3470948) and is not as sexy, but I would trust it for 10k miles, as it does not have the media waviness and Purolator tear issues.

I just put a Napa Gold on the Burb and it has pretty much everything I am looking for in a premium filter: great filter efficiency, mixed cellulose/glass fiber media, base-end bypass valve (although not needed in my applications), silicone ADBV, and, perhaps most importantly, sleek black exterior.

You have some extremely black oil!!!
crazy2.gif

Not that it means anything, just surprised the heck out of me. The oil I just drained from our Expedition was nowhere near THAT black, and it had over 10,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
crazy2.gif

Not that it means anything, just surprised the heck out of me. The oil I just drained from our Expedition was nowhere near THAT black, and it had over 10,000 miles on it.

I think the dark color is a function of the lighting and blue shop towels. I dipped a paper towel into the oil sample vial and this is what I got:
20140901_135207-1_zpsmdo9haho.jpg

That seems to be consistent with what I have seen from prior oil changes on this vehicle and the GP. If you still think it is dark, maybe it is something in the G-Oil additive package?

As I just commented on the thread for the dissection of the filter that I ran before this one, I ran a bottle of LM MOS2 in the sump prior to this oil/filter run. Maybe residuals from the MOS2 are contributing to the dark color? Maybe it is a function of the animal fat-derived base oils in the G-Oil? I have seen some pretty nasty deep fat fryers...same thing going on here?

crazy2.gif

Its really not that black.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
crazy2.gif

Its really not that black.

Guess it depends on your perspective. It is darker than what comes out of my vehicles by a fair bit, so that's my perspective
smile.gif

this is about the filter, not the oil.
G-OIL in my ranger always got dark at about 3K versus other oils (Quaker state, Pennzoil, mobil, peak) I used, synthetic or not.

Normal oils would darken at 5K
G-Oil would darken 2.5K to 3K

Regardless, nice filter. No doubt it could go 10K
thumbsup2.gif

Gives me confidence in mine!

Nice looking filter.

Any oil gets jet black in my subaru... when compared to other cars I've owned.

For some reason I was under the assumption that the TG filters did not use the fiber end caps, but I guess I was wrong. Looks like a decent filter though.

^^^ Only the Ultra used metal end caps, because it needs them for the construction of the two layer synthetic media with wire backing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Only the Ultra used metal end caps, because it needs them for the construction of the two layer synthetic media with wire backing.
And it's the only Fram worth a bullet. The rest are good kitty toys.

Originally Posted By: telecat
No oil filter with paper end caps can be called "well-constructed." None.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
And it's the only Fram worth a bullet. The rest are good kitty toys.

Telecat, I love reading your posts. You will be making a lot of friends here, and most likely take a lot of the heat off of me when Fram threads pop up! Like a bull in a china shop
07.gif

But in all seriousness, paper end caps aside, the filter actually held up reasonably well. Thanks for the cut and post OP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636

Telecat, I love reading your posts. You will be making a lot of friends here, and most likely take a lot of the heat off of me when Fram threads pop up! Like a bull in a china shop
07.gif

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. People who do that don't have a lot of friends, but the ones they have are fiercely loyal. I'll take door number two.

Last edited:
No oil filter with paper end caps can be called "well-constructed." None.

Absurd.
I've cut apart tough guards with 10000 winter miles on them and the media was still adhering to the backing just fine.
Which is why it exists.
Exactly why is fibreboard bad when enclosed in a metal frame. The metal can keeps the fibreboard straight and only when there isn't pressure can the fibreboard even become wavy.
Sounds like someone judging something when they are unaware of how it works.
The sum of the parts right.
Telecat will be good for many a laugh here,of that I have no doubt.
Which banned member is he,watch his posts and we'll soon see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back