Fram TG vs Ultra: engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know Wix made mediocre filters. News to me and probably most members here. It's his vehicle. He knows it better than anyone.

Done feeding.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I didn't know Wix made mediocre filters. News to me and probably most members here. It's his vehicle. He knows it better than anyone.

Done feeding.

This is not acceptable. Stop trolling me. Enough is enough.

You have trolled almost every single post of mine since you recently joined this board. You've also admitted that you have no scientific knowledge. I feel like I'm being harassed by a young school kid. You turn out to be blatantly wrong and you still come back and troll and harass me with something new.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Put on a Wix 51516 ...

Regarding Fram Ultra vs. Wix, at 20 microns, Fram Ultra has beta = 100+ and Wix has beta = 20. beta is the fraction of unfiltered particles (1/100+ and 1/20, respectively, in this case). Therefore, Fram Ultra is at least five times as efficient as (or at least 400% more efficient than) Wix in terms of dirt-removal ability at 20 microns. In addition Wix will get less efficient a lot faster at smaller micron sizes. They are two very different beasts. The high efficiency and high capacity of Fram Ultra, along with its solid construction and no apparent quality-control problems, is the reason why it's the most popular oil filter among BITOG posters.

Purolator Boss and Purolator One have beta = 100 at 20 microns. Purolator has beta = 29.

Note that efficiency = (beta - 1)/beta.

It just seems quieter with the Wix. Not scientific and I'm not going to say Fram is bad, because they aren't. I'd run a Tough Guard again if my Walmart stocked the 3600. But the Wix works for what I want. I'm not as worried as about the filtration as I change oil every 3-4k/ twice a year (and it leaks enough to where it gets a quart or two added, so the oil has it easy). Plus many on the Liberty forum I'm on have run theirs up to 300k on Wix filters. Not discounting the expertise here at all, but the 3.7 and Wix seem to be a good fit.

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone that took the time to comment and offer advise. I really appreciate the insight and discussion!

BTW: Still better off running anything mentioned in this thread than the Tearolator Classics it's ran for most of its life...I try not to think about what that did to it. LOL

I would like to thank everyone that took the time to comment and offer advise. I really appreciate the insight and discussion!

BTW: Still better off running anything mentioned in this thread than the Tearolator Classics it's ran for most of its life...I try not to think about what that did to it. LOL

You're welcome!

It just seems quieter with the Wix. Not scientific and I'm not going to say Fram is bad, because they aren't. I'd run a Tough Guard again if my Walmart stocked the 3600. But the Wix works for what I want. I'm not as worried as about the filtration as I change oil every 3-4k/ twice a year (and it leaks enough to where it gets a quart or two added, so the oil has it easy). Plus many on the Liberty forum I'm on have run theirs up to 300k on Wix filters. Not discounting the expertise here at all, but the 3.7 and Wix seem to be a good fit.

Hey, the oil is not fresh anymore and you've also got used to the noise.
wink.gif

Yes, any oil filter, including the often-bashed Purolator, will be just fine. It's just that at BITOG we obsess with such things and try to find the best oil and filter. There is little question that a high-efficiency oil filter is better than a medium-efficiency one, but some here will also argue that in real-life situations, you won't notice a difference even with rock-catcher oil filters with beta = 2 (50% efficiency) at 20 microns, as few people are interested in driving their cars or trucks beyond a few hundred thousand miles. In the world of 18-wheeler trucking, they go well beyond full-flow oil filters and use bypass oil filters with submicron efficiency ratings, as heavy-duty diesel engines are expected to last ten times longer, just a few million miles. It also makes oil change less of a hassle.

OP my Jeep has been notoriously picky at start up (bad rattle) and the Tough Guard makes it go away 99% of the time. Not so with the fancy Fram though, don't know why but it is what it is. FWIW.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
OP my Jeep has been notoriously picky at start up (bad rattle) and the Tough Guard makes it go away 99% of the time. Not so with the fancy Fram though, don't know why but it is what it is. FWIW.

OP isn't talking about a start-up rattle though. He says he hears some light knock for anywhere from a minute to several minutes after the engine is turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back