Fram PH9837 Cut open. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're complaining about the sludge in the filter?

Just be glad that there is sludge in the filter, which means it must be doing something right.

Would you rather have a pristine oil filter and have the crud in the engine?

Thinking it caught a break on this somewhere in the engine...

Be willing to bet it won't happen again.

Run some PYB to see what it does....

Aesthetically unappealing but structurally sound. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and stayed intact doing it.

That is a lot of grime for only 3k you might want to consider a cleaning plan of some sort.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636
The OCOD looks like [censored] because they are built like [censored]. Nothing new here. There is a reason it earned the name orange can of death. You will be much happier with the build quality of the P1.

There's also a reason why a certain filter got the name Tear-o-lator.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with "build quality" with a filter that fails.
crackmeup2.gif

lol. I'm right with you. Id rather have a filter "look ugly" but work fine, then one that completely fails to filter by tearing.

And does anyone else notice whats there besides the "omg wavy pleats"? LOTS OF [censored] ACTUALLY FILTERED

Oil condition looks to be because of fuel leakdown and carbon buildup from the short trips.

This is that famous Honda engine in the Vues. Gotta run top tier oils on a short schedule.

Originally Posted By: AjsGarage
And does anyone else notice whats there besides the "omg wavy pleats"?

Yes the cardboard top and bottom look deformed.

The deformed top and bottom are fine (not necessarily saying you think they aren't fine) since they're still sealing, only the central portion matters and that's held by leaf spring against fiber-board which is probably a better seal than anything against metal. At least the end caps are still attached unlike the end cap popping tearolators. To be fair those still seal too.

As for the junk inside if it was a tearolator it would have torn and sucked some of that [censored] into your engine and fried the bearings according to Purolator. Count yourself lucky you didn't use one of those.
crackmeup2.gif
I don't think anyone can tell what exactly that junk is but at least there's a ton of it in the filter. It did its job without tearing. If wavy pleats aren't your thing there are a ton of filters with beautiful pleats out there. Denso, Wix, Fram Ultra, take your pick. Just choose one that doesn't tear and you're golden.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
One trick FRAM pony.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Who needs another trick when the one ya got can't be beat?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

As for the junk inside if it was a tearolator it would have torn and sucked some of that [censored] into your engine and fried the bearings according to Purolator. Count yourself lucky you didn't use one of those.
crackmeup2.gif

Exactly ... wouldn't have been too reassuring if the media tore with all that crud in the filter!

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
This is that famous Honda engine in the Vues. Gotta run top tier oils on a short schedule.

Actually, it is a GM sourced LZ4 3500 engine that was used only in the 2008-09 years. The Honda 3.5 was used earlier.

This filter was the victim of the condition of the oil.
Not the other way around.
The filter did its job.
No brand would look good in this situation.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

Actually, it is a GM sourced LZ4 3500 engine that was used only in the 2008-09 years. The Honda 3.5 was used earlier.

Yeah but what the heck, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
wink.gif

And even a cursory look at the orange can dissection shows it has no filter bypass which means it must have block bypass which Hondas don't use. Otoh, earlier GM engines do use block bypass. But it must be Honda's fault.
whistle.gif

And I'm unaware of the the 3.5L being a top tier short maintenance interval engine. But being in a GM, it would make it their call. Owners manual says it uses an OLM which would be calibrated by GM. And the oil for Honda would have been an API SL/M 5w20. Hardly top tier.

As for the orange can, looks like typical orange can construction to me. The endcap centertube seal areas not shown so can't comment on them. No idea why the dome looks so cruddy. As suggested perhaps some longer trips at operating temperature might help. Think I'd run another short oci/fci and check again. Might suspect possible coolant intrusion if the result is the same.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
That's that Valvoline nextJUNK.

Gotta love these unintelligent lizard brain postings that just state an emotion followed up with nothing to prove the point.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
No idea why the dome looks so cruddy. As suggested perhaps some longer trips at operating temperature might help.

Don't know the filter orientation on a 2008 Saturn Vue with a 3.5 V-6 ... but if the filter is mounted dome down, then that's probably why.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No idea why the dome looks so cruddy. As suggested perhaps some longer trips at operating temperature might help.

Don't know the filter orientation on a 2008 Saturn Vue with a 3.5 V-6 ... but if the filter is mounted dome down, then that's probably why.

I've got Honda 3.0L oriented in a vertical thread end up orientation and never had the dome end and leaf spring look anything close to as cruddy/black as the OP's, at much long oci/fcis. OP's looks like heavy varnish bordering on sludge. But perhaps it's be because I have one those short interval top tier oil Honda engines.
wink.gif

Could be anything, but considering the OP stated this to be a new occurrence, at 3k miles thinking something else might be going on.

Any chance there could be a coolant leak? I would be more worried about the condition of the oil and the internals of the engine than the oil filter (no matter the brand). The fact there is so much gunk in the filter is indicative of either a problem with the engine (PCV in good shape?), wrong oil choices, or the need to shorten the OCI (even further).

Could be anything, but considering the OP stated this to be a new occurrence, at 3k miles thinking something else might be going on.

I doubt this car had "regular dealer oil changes" as stated. If so, they were not regular enough, or they used some bottom barrel oil. Looks to me like that engine was pretty dirty inside and the filter is loaded up with crud coming out of the guts of the engine.

The engine that filter is on is more than likely VERY dirty.

Remember, oil filters don't create dirt and sludge, they filter it out.

IMO, the engine was either abused or had some substandard garbage oil put into it.

Good choice moving up to a synthetic filter. You will need the extra holding capacity microglass offers until all that loose crud gets trapped. Of course I'd recommend a Fram Ultra which has holding capacity up to 32 grams in the XG8A size.

I would be interested to see how the filter looks after the next oci with the better oil and filter. M1 TDT is very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back