Fram motor oil

Problem is AAP sells their house brand oil for what a major label costs at Wal-Mart instead of competing in the SuperTech/Kirkland space. AAP isn't alone in this. Not saying the oil is bad, but is it worth 10-15$ more than Supertech/Kirkland/Amazon basics. At least Napa puts theirs on sale every so often.

Fram branded oil has been around quite a while. I don't know for sure who the current supplier is but it used to be bottled by Conoco Phillips. Probably rebadged Trop Artic. Not bad oil for 5k drain intervals.

I was at my local AAP today and was told that they were changing out Carquest oil for Fram motor oil in the near future. Never heard of it, I googled Fram oil and nothing came up except oil filters and such. Anyone else heard of this oil.
My local AAP has it in the stock room, not quite ready to put on shelves yet. It appears to be produced/bottled by Amalie.

Also AAP paid 2 Billion for Carquest in 2013. Maybe they’re thinking the Carquest brand is losing its appeal, so they’re filling the shelves with a more recognizable name. Whatever gets put in the shopping basket is what counts.

Who knows? Maybe Trico is offering them a deal to get the Fram brand out there more? Or maybe some pimple-faced consultants made up some fancy charts and graphs that convinced them to switch over. 🤓

Who knows? Maybe Trico is offering them a deal to get the Fram brand out there more? Or maybe some pimple-faced consultants made up some fancy charts and graphs that convinced them to switch over. 🤓

Trico is now First Brands which also owns Champion. One big happy family now.

8 year old data
But it’s all I could find. CCPhillips supplier

Attachments

• DE332764-C06B-4CFD-8636-F82D0080C0CA.jpeg
    DE332764-C06B-4CFD-8636-F82D0080C0CA.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 277
First Brands paid 200 million for the Die Hard name. This is big money. I looked for a link between First Brands and AAP but could not find one.

I haven’t seen that connection either but I believe they own the STP brand name. They have been buying quite a bit in the automotive sector. They recently bought Raybestos. They also own Autolite, Carter and a few others.

I used to use mobil1 ep, but now my dd has over 240k miles on it I don't feel spending the money will will make any difference. I have been using Car quest oil because it was about 4-5 bucks cheaper for a 5 qt jug. My wifes '11 equinox will drink any oil you put in it. Especially the "Dexos" variety. I stopped using that junk years ago. And guess what? the motor runs as good or better without it. I do add some heavier wt oil to it ,and that has helped with consumption.,,,
I used the AC delco brand full syn dexos oil in my impala when I first bought it and I averaged about a quart per 1500 miles consumption. Switched to Mobil 1 and not a drop lost. Idk what the difference is but apparently there is something

Back