Fram motor oil

I was at my local AAP today and was told that they were changing out Carquest oil for Fram motor oil in the near future. Never heard of it, I googled Fram oil and nothing came up except oil filters and such. Anyone else heard of this oil.

Sounds like they couldn’t sell Carquest branded
We've had AAP stores around here for a long time. Carquest stores were always in the small, rural towns so they were very unfamiliar to a lot of people and when AAP bought them and started using the name on parts, it was just a "name". It had no meaning or value to many.

Fram motor oil
Motor oil is becoming a commodity for many people, actually, for the majority of non-automotive people. It's "just oil" and there's no substantial difference between all the different brands. I'd venture to say that many shops, unless they get paid by Castrol, Valvoline, etc to put up a banner saying "We proudly use XXX motor oil", don't care what brand oil their bulk supplier pumps in their tank as long as it meets modern specs.

We've had AAP stores around here for a long time. Carquest stores were always in the small, rural towns so they were very unfamiliar to a lot of people and when AAP bought them and started using the name on parts, it was just a "name". It had no meaning or value to many.

Isn’t AAP the stores selling the Fram Titanium filters? Maybe they have a agreement in place for branding?

I don't go to AAP that often but I do know that the FU filters are pretty limited in where you can buy them. Walmart and Meijer (a midwest/regional chain like Walmart) carry them but I've never seen them in auto parts stores. I do recall some 'new' Fram filters showing up on AAP's website when I looked a while ago.

I used to use mobil1 ep, but now my dd has over 240k miles on it I don't feel spending the money will will make any difference. I have been using Car quest oil because it was about 4-5 bucks cheaper for a 5 qt jug. My wifes '11 equinox will drink any oil you put in it. Especially the "Dexos" variety. I stopped using that junk years ago. And guess what? the motor runs as good or better without it. I do add some heavier wt oil to it ,and that has helped with consumption.,,,

I noticed this on the Dexos approved list but figured it was for another market? Haven't seen any flavors of Fram oil in person nor online.

Edit - found this
Every google I did always came back with just filters and such. Glad you found this. Next time I go in I will talk to guys and see when they are going to put on shelves. I am assuming since its replacing CQ oil that it will be a lot cheaper than the major brands.

Sadly a lot of consumers will see this and go oooh, Fram is making oil now. The power of branding is real. Just like STP or Exxon changing gasoline stations to Mobil.

Most have no idea who really makes the oil. A good example is a consumer who hates Walmart and would never use SuperTech but they go into Costco and buy Kirkland oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen Fram motor oil before but it’s been awhile. I think I used to see it at Pep Boys. Haven’t been to a Pep Boys in about 5 years so that’s probably where I saw it.

Isn’t AAP the stores selling the Fram Titanium filters? Maybe they have a agreement in place for branding?
Yes, the Titanium (an Ultra clone) is only sold through AAP. Been talked about many times in the OF forum.

Maybe bringing it up from Mexico...

1610654886913.png

1610654855244.png

1610654922864.png

Attachments

• 1610654818816.png
    1610654818816.png
    327 KB · Views: 178
Sadly a lot of consumers will see this and go oooh, Fram is making oil now. The power of branding is real. Just like STP or Exxon changing gasoline stations to Mobil.

Most have no idea who really makes the oil. A good example is a consumer who hates Walmart and would never use SuperTech but they go into Costco and buy Kirkland oil.
I hate both of them. Amazon Basics oil for me! heh

Back