FRAM filter metal flakes from forming thread?

So back to this. I was in the mart again and they happened to have another Supertech MP on the shelf. The one I had I ordered online because this store never had stock has a black presumably nitrile rubber ADBV. This one has the orange ADBV, which I presume is silicone. Interestingly all the ones I see on youtube have a blue ADBV?

Anyway, picked it up - pics below. I included pics on the Denso as well - its much heavier than the other two.

It appears the newer one - date code 070822 has the rubber ADBV. The newer older one has the silicon. I will try both, but I prefer silicon. I will need to wait and see when some more come in - this was the only one they had. Strange they get one in with that old a date code. Perhaps a return?

Still need to get to O'Reilly's and pick up a microgard select. I don't drive by O'reillys regularly but will get there.

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8968.JPG

Last edited:
It appears the newer one - date code 070822 has the rubber ADBV. The newer one has the silicon. I will try both, but I prefer silicon. I will need to wait and see when some more come in - this was the only one they had. Strange they get one in with that old a date code. Perhaps a return?
Looks like the newer date code (070822 - Jul 8, 2022) has the nitrile (black), and the older date code (011222) has the silicone (orange) ADBV.

just got a fram XG7317, shipped and sold by amazon.

thanks to this forum, I'm always shaking the filter and inspecting the threads

i've personally never seen this before. instead of cleaning it with a toothbrush, i'm going to send it back. i'm hoping amazon will pass on my comments about the return to fram.

1666842799598.jpeg

This is the same filter my Element takes, try a Honda 15400-PLM-A02 from the dealership, $8 and change. Not had a problem with them before.

This is the same filter my Element takes, try a Honda 15400-PLM-A02 from the dealership, $8 and change. Not had a problem with them before.

From previous research:

OEM A02 filter (50-60% efficient at 20um range).

Fram ultra is 99% efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it’s 94% efficient.

Big question is does it make a difference? The Honda is currently at 110,000 miles and I hope to double that.

If production stays like this though, I might switch to OEM or maybe import some German made Mann's for the same cost as the ultra.

I found this post to be helpful which was one of the reasons the ultra has been used since the 1st oil change:

My view: Cleaner oil is always better than dirtier oil. Nobody can prove that cleaner oil doesn't result in less engine wear - every lubrication study on the subject matter shows that cleaner oil results in less wear. How much is up to the person buying the filter to decide since it's his vehicle and money. Running a more efficient oil filter certainly isn't going to hurt anything except cost a few more dollars out of the wallet.

Big question is does it make a difference? The Honda is currently at 110,000 miles and I hope to double that.
Actually it’s not a big question even though people think it is and keep posting same. There is a direct correlation between filtering efficiency and wear and that’s been shown on here multiple times. Better efficiency results in less wear and better longevity.

From previous research:

If production stays like this though, I might switch to OEM or maybe import some German made Mann's for the same cost as the ultra.

I found this post to be helpful which was one of the reasons the ultra has been used since the 1st oil change:
I don't know if it does or not but in some Honda forums many swear by the oem filter and have way more mile than 100k most over 200k. Many Elements run to 200-400k even more some on oem, others on local jobbers, Fram Ultra, Wix, Mobil1 and some whatever is on sale.
I have found w my Element if I don't use an oem filter it has this annoying squeal at various times of engine temps and different mphs it will make from the filters. Sometimes it is brief, few seconds, other times will last for miles- mostly at hwy speed. Took many months to figure it out but it is the filter- drove us crazy. Every level of Fram, ST, Mobil1 caused it but with an oem it was silent for the whole oci. Why it does it I haven't the foggiest but I am glad I figured it out. If you are worried about efficiency, change it twice during a 5k oci w synthetic oil or use a cheaper blend oil and change the oil along w filters at 3k oci, will be clean either way. Good luck in your search

I have found w my Element if I don't use an oem filter it has this annoying squeal at various times of engine temps and different mphs it will make from the filters. Sometimes it is brief, few seconds, other times will last for miles- mostly at hwy speed. Took many months to figure it out but it is the filter- drove us crazy. Every level of Fram, ST, Mobil1 caused it but with an oem it was silent for the whole oci. Why it does it I haven't the foggiest ...
That's a new one, strange indeed. The flow vs delta-p of all those filters shouldn't be any worse, and probably are even better than the OEM filter.

Do other Element owners report the same phenomenon?

The shaving(s) and other things in the threads are getting to be normal for FRAM 😠. These are from a few TITANIUM oil filters . Took the 1st back and purchased another . Installed on the '18 ACCENT .

1st purchase ( returned ) :

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG
IMG_9083.JPG
IMG_9080.JPG

2nd ( from shelf ) NOT purchased :

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9125.JPG

3rd ( purchased ) : Cleaned w/ toothbrush and installed .

IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9127.JPG
IMG_9168.JPG
IMG_9256.JPG

Last edited:
That's a new one, strange indeed. The flow vs delta-p of all those filters shouldn't be any worse, and probably are even better than the OEM filter.

Do other Element owners report the same phenomenon?
I have heard of it a couple times. I didn't think it would be the problem as the Honda's are made by Fram but it is.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is it is just at the psi threshold of going into bypass and it has a little rubbing going on. I say that as my motor is dirty, po did not do regular oci and used the local Midas for oil changes. I am done w a 5k mile run of EC30 and will probably run it again in the summer. When I run the EC30 this summer I will use Frams for the 1500 mile filter changes and see if it gets better. On this last 1500 miles it still does it, going oem this weekend with fresh oil.

Last edited:
So back to this. I ordered a thread chaser for the original Orange Can I started this thread about. I have a tap but that's the wrong tool for this job. I held the can threads down and ran the chaser through it a couple times, then vacuumed with a shop vac, then wiped the threads with a paper towel. Not perfect, but good enough. Guess this will be my new process

IMG_9191.JPG
IMG_9192.JPG

I also have read one too many 20um filter threads here lately and decided I should try some Fram ultra synthetics, because there still 8 bucks. Since the boxes are sealed at walmart last I looked I just ordered them for walmart delivery. Based on date code of A23201 I think that means 2022 - day 320 which was like a month ago. Threads still aren't great but I will clean them the same way. Strangely there is some surface rust on one of them? THoughts on this? Should I clean it with some alcohol and q-tip or something- or return it?

IMG_9193.JPG

1670769471428.png

Why I quit buying filters online.... haven't had that issue with the local stores and inspect them prior to purchase. Also, I don't worry about knock-offs. Peace of mind is more important and don't need to save a buck.

Why I quit buying filters online.... haven't had that issue with the local stores and inspect them prior to purchase. Also, I don't worry about knock-offs. Peace of mind is more important and don't need to save a buck.
The Fram Ultra's have a safety sticker closing the box, so you can't inspect them in the store anyway. Unless you want to open the box which I will do if its not sealed but not if it is. So for this brand it shouldn't matter online from walmart or in store from walmart. The package shipped directly from walmart distribution center according to the package.

If I don't like them walmart will take them back for any reason, or none at all.

Back