FRAM filter metal flakes from forming thread?

A guy would be better off with no filter at all than a filter that will introduce metal debris into the engine.

So thread bump - I was in a different mart today, and I checked several of the Fram ultra synthetic and fram tough guard, and all had the messed up debris filled thread. Whatever machine there using to cut the threads is fubar. Unfortunately I am still looking for a replacement for my former favorite wix filters. Since these were made in USA was hoping they might be it, but the search continues.

The K&N filter looked good, but price is a bit much - and its an e-core which I don't have issue with but feel like overpaying for an e-core is just wrong somehow.

So thread bump - I was in a different mart today, and I checked several of the Fram ultra synthetic and fram tough guard, and all had the messed up debris filled thread. Whatever machine there using to cut the threads is fubar. Unfortunately I am still looking for a replacement for my former favorite wix filters. Since these were made in USA was hoping they might be it, but the search continues.

The K&N filter looked good, but price is a bit much - and its an e-core which I don't have issue with but feel like overpaying for an e-core is just wrong somehow.

Thanks. Walmart actually didn't list a 20K mile version fitting my Nissan 2011 Frontier / VQ40, but the MP7317 has a picture right on it that says it replaces the K&N SO 1010 which K&N says fits, and also all the FRAM xx7317 fits my rig, so I presume this Supertech will fit also?

I believe this is a really common filter type that fits all kinds of Nissan / Honda engines - only thing I could see being different would be the bypass pressure spec.

I also ordered a Denso to look at while I was at it.

My formerly favorite brand of filter has moved production to China, so I am looking for a new favorite. Fram seemed to meet all my needs so I picked up a orange can at Walmart to bring home and look at. I noticed the start of the thread is really rough and has some metal flaking off of it - you can see a "hanging chad" piece in the top of this picture - there were a couple larger than this I flaked off with my fingernail.

I assume this is not good? How common is this? I was thinking some flavor of this filter was going to be my new standard - my dad has been using these since I was a kid and I am in my 50's. Thoughts?

The good news is it appears to have a drilled hole core, metal endcaps, and a nitrile ADV.

View attachment 114752

Ugh...

What's the OEM part for your application? It may be best to just buy that for now. In my experience the OE buyers (car manufacturers) hold their suppliers to a higher degree of accountability and quality control. I see this sort of thing almost never in OE parts, but way too often in the aftermarket.

Thanks. Walmart actually didn't list a 20K mile version fitting my Nissan 2011 Frontier / VQ40, but the MP7317 has a picture right on it that says it replaces the K&N SO 1010 which K&N says fits, and also all the FRAM xx7317 fits my rig, so I presume this Supertech will fit also?

I believe this is a really common filter type that fits all kinds of Nissan / Honda engines - only thing I could see being different would be the bypass pressure spec.

I also ordered a Denso to look at while I was at it.

You can enter your vehicle information here and lookup the compatible Super Tech filters. https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/oil-filters/91083_1074765_8697188_1044301

WIX moved production to China?!?!?

On all filters, or just some...???

I haven't really been keeping up....
Was reported here so I don't know if all or some. I hadn't ordered any since last year as I order in quantity so I still have 8 of made in USA left.

I did buy a Wix air filter around Christmas that has been made in USA for years but is now made in Spain and lacks the steel screen on the downstream side like the old design had.

Either way they were purchased by M&H a couple years ago and quality has gone way downhill so I am now looking elsewhere.
You can enter your vehicle information here and lookup the compatible Super Tech filters. https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/oil-filters/91083_1074765_8697188_1044301

I did but the 20,000 mile one doesn't come up, only the lower end supertech one which is actually smaller as well. I used this - and it seems to match up to my OEM part numbers along with many others so I think it should be OK -
Ugh...

What's the OEM part for your application? It may be best to just buy that for now. In my experience the OE buyers (car manufacturers) hold their suppliers to a higher degree of accountability and quality control. I see this sort of thing almost never in OE parts, but way too often in the aftermarket.
Actually good idea, I will order one from my online dealer as well since I need to order some other things. I used the OEM ones for years. Originally they were made in Japan and appeared high quality, I am guessing Denso. Then they switched to made in Mexico but the louvers didn't seem to be as open as I would have liked and I could see glue on the inside of the metal tube so I originally switched to purolator then to wix.

I did but the 20,000 mile one doesn't come up, only the lower end supertech one which is actually smaller as well. I used this - and it seems to match up to my OEM part numbers along with many others so I think it should be OK -

Ah, yeah I've noticed in regards to the Super Tech oil filters the MP6607 (20k mi) doesn't come up for my 2008 Subaru, but the ST6607 (10k mi) does. Not sure if they need to update the application tool or if there's something about the MP that's incompatible. In any event you'll be just fine with the appropriate Super Tech filter. You may already be doing this, but I would recommend doing the oil change interval stated in your vehicle's manual instead of the marketing on filter boxes or oil jugs.

Actually good idea, I will order one from my online dealer as well since I need to order some other things. I used the OEM ones for years. Originally they were made in Japan and appeared high quality, I am guessing Denso. Then they switched to made in Mexico but the louvers didn't seem to be as open as I would have liked and I could see glue on the inside of the metal tube so I originally switched to purolator then to wix.

I've not seen the new Nissan OEM filters in person, but I bet they're fine. Is yours part 15208-65F0E? Like other OEM products they're sealed in plastic to ensure no contaminants fall in and have a few extra product improvements over typical aftermarket options. For instance, instead of a flat lathe-cut gasket that's somewhat secured by baseplate pinch marks it has a p-cut rounded gasket that seats more securely into the baseplate. No pinch presses needed and this type normally stays connected to the baseplate during oil changes. There's also less of a chance to overtighten and crimp/warp a rounded gasket like this vs. flat. OEM filters usually have these normally unnoticed, but higher cost differences to ensure quality of reliability for their dealerships to reduce installations errors, return-work and claims. That's not to say some aftermarket stuff won't work just fine for you. I just wanted to point out differences in what a vehicle manufacturer orders vs. what's usually pumped out to autopart stores.

Everyone here has their strong opinions on brands, media material, OCIs, etc, but at the end of the day just follow the vehicle's OCI. If you're having trouble deciding on an aftermarket part and just want to hit "the easy button" know that OEM is never a wrong option.

Last edited:
So the ST7317 Edit - sorry MP7317 - corrected - showed up in one day. Excellent shipping by walmart.

A couple things I don't like - the inside edge of the threads is not cut very well and has some metal "hanging chads" for those old enough to remember that phrase. I can clean them up and use a shop vac to pull them out as recomeneded earlier, but still pretty sloppy work.

Also the ADBV is black, not blue as they usually are. Not sure if that means it nitrile rubber or not - but I am guessing so.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 at 2.32.11 PM (1).png
IMG_8783.JPG

Last edited:
So the ST7317 showed up in one day.
Also the ADBV is black, not blue as they usually are.
The MP has the blue silicone ADBV, the ST has nitrile. I see blue can, so you must have got an MP7317. Yep, my bet is the black ADBV is nitrile.

Last edited:
The MP has the blue silicone ADBV, the ST has nitrile. I see blue can, so you must have got an MP7317. Yep, my bet is the black ADBV is nitrile.
Sorry my error - yes MP7317 - black ADBV not blue. I corrected my earlier post - and yes I am guessing its nitrile as well.

Back to my search :(

Back to my search :(
Should have just cleaned up the Fram. You'll be going in circles, because about every oil filter made will need some base plate and thread clean-up. And then if you happen to find one that looks OK in your eyes, the next same brand and model may not look good. These oil filters aren't going on the moon lander, so things like thread forming and cleanliness will be all over the map. That's been my experience, and I have always found some clean-up to do regardless of brand or model. I even remove the base gasket (but not for a P-gasket style gasket) and clean the gasket and gasket groove to ensure a perfect sealing surface on the filter side.

Should have just cleaned up the Fram. You'll be going in circles, because about every oil filter made will need some base plate and thread clean-up. And then if you happen to find one that looks OK in your eyes, the next same brand and model may not look good. These oil filters aren't going on the moon lander, so things like thread forming and cleanliness will be all over the map. That's been my experience, and I have always found some clean-up to do regardless of brand or model. I even remove the base gasket (but not for a P-gasket style gasket) and clean the gasket and gasket groove to ensure a perfect sealing surface on the filter side.
I was thinking today I should just hold it threads down and run a tap through then vacuum it out. I don't have a metric tap that large but I think I will get one. I will still use the fram and the supertech, but I still have a Denso coming and was going to order an OEM one as well, then decide what to stock going forward.

Frams are just so sloppy and too expensive for what you get. I just took my Microgard Select out of the box and the threads are squeaky clean and smooth as silk. Fram used to be my go-to, but they're really slipping.

Plan to use tooth brush to clean out the threads of the TITANIUM . Will hold it with filter base facing down when using the brush . Never checked for this until now . Just install . Took it for granted that filter will be fine from factory . Hopefully I'll remember to inspect all of the oil filter at store and before installing . Getting more absent minded with age . 😖

Last edited:
Cleaned out threads with a toothbrush with the face plate facing down . Installed few days ago . Post at O.C. thread .

Filter in same position before cleaning ( TOP ) and after cleaning ( BOTTOM ) .

IMG_9164.JPG
IMG_9261.JPG
IMG_9169.JPG
IMG_9258.JPG
IMG_9168.JPG
IMG_9256.JPG

Last edited:
I gave up on Fram years ago. On one car it was exceedingly difficult to start the threads. Like they were not cut right. On another the filters galled the threads on the filter post and I had to buy an expensive die to repair them. On a third the new filter leaked and upon inspection there was a cut in the filter gasket. I vote no.

Back