Are metal endcaps simply cosmetic?

Sorry if I'm late to the party in knowing about this if it has been public knowledge, but I cut open a Champ XL PH2867XL recently and accidently dropped the internal filter on the floor. Much to my surprise the metal endcap quite literally popped off revealing that the actual filter endcap is just a mix of what looked like hardened glue smoothed out over a fiber endcap that was holding the filter media in place. I have a Royal Purple 10-2867 that I just got done using today and am letting drain, I might cut that one open tomorrow and see if I can get the endcap to pop off like with the Champ XL. On other metal endcap can filters I've cut open, ie Fram Ultra or Titanium, the metal endcaps were integral to the actual construction of the filter unit and the media as well as the wire backing was directly attached to the metal endcap.

The metal end caps are supposed to be more durable and help hold the shape of the pleated filter material.
Idk why the filter you cut open did what it did, but when fully assembled the spring inside the canister will hold everything tightly together.

Sorry if I'm late to the party in knowing about this if it has been public knowledge, but I cut open a Champ XL PH2867XL recently and accidently dropped the internal filter on the floor. Much to my surprise the metal endcap quite literally popped off ...
Some filters are "end cap poppers' and and simply be pulled off by hand. Nothing to be alarmed about really. As @flash7210 mentioned, the cold or leaf spring in the dome end of the filter should keep it all tight and sealed.

On other metal endcap can filters I've cut open, ie Fram Ultra or Titanium, the metal endcaps were integral to the actual construction of the filter unit and the media as well as the wire backing was directly attached to the metal endcap.
No, those are not "directly attached to the metal end cap". All filters that use metal end caps just use a potting material to attach and seal the media (wire backed or not) to the end cap. The ones where the metal end cap pops off simply means the potting material did not adhere very well to the metal.

My analogy is similar to a roof on a house that is there to hold the walls up. End caps help to keep "Shape" of the media along with oil flow channeling. Also, depends on the engine builder in how they designed the oil filter mount (Cartridge, Can, etc).

Many ways to skin a cat. I like the fiber end caps on the extra/tough guard but I'm not so fond or the champ cheaper filters. I suppose the metal end caps with the rubber gasket on the bypass would have better seal in that respect.

I have had media become detached from metal end caps but that has never happened with fiber end caps for me.

I think there was an issue long ago with the Fram fiber end caps coming unglued. Not sure if it was an actual recall or Youtuber or I think I read here it maybe originated on a mopar forum or some such thing. Even if it were true, it would be a function of bad glue if anything. Either way the meme persisted.

At this point with all the consolidation I am more concerned with quality control during assembly or increasing cost cutting on materials, then what the end cap is made from.

I think there was an issue long ago with the Fram fiber end caps coming unglued. Not sure if it was an actual recall or Youtuber or I think I read here it maybe originated on a mopar forum or some such thing. Even if it were true, it would be a function of bad glue if anything. Either way the meme persisted.

At this point with all the consolidation I am more concerned with quality control during assembly or increasing cost cutting on materials, then what the end cap is made from.
Wow never saw that one.

Back