Metal flake and burr on Oil filter edges

I found metal burr on new oil filter holes, near to cutting edges, as in images attached below. Is this common?
These metal burr is flaking and could easily be scratch off. This scared me off, imaging these get into engine.
This was bought from an official verified vendor website, and i compare/validate few other buyer picture from other official website. They all has these flaking burr and no one seem to realize or comment on this.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
found there was previous thread discussing about this after i posted this :

I try to remember to check the filter for burrs now before installing, have seen it myself on a couple of Fram Ultras in the past year. I’m switching to a different brand when I use up the Frams. Never used to have to worry about this.

I wouldn’t get too sweaty with it being in the inlet holes seeing it’s getting filtered but then again we do see some ADV with cuts.
I’d be more worried about the center hole, some threads on here (no pun intended) where there were huge shards!

found there was previous thread discussing about this after i posted this :

The filters you posted do not look like Fram filters. I don’t recall Fram using a P gasket.

I always get an old rag and wipe the threads and surprised at the debris removed.

Whoever ran the press, to punch the holes, or the CNC machine, did not sharpen the punches.
This will cause metal burrs.
I wasn't a fan of Cartridge Filters, but now I am....o_O

Fram Ultra XG7317 I bought recently had burrs on outer inlet holes. I elected to cut it open to examine. No other obvious defects found. Bought another XG7317 which did not have any burrs, and I installed it on my most recent oil change.

Back