Fram Extra Guard PH8A- cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was off a 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser with 185k Miles.. This Filter was on for 5K miles (6 months). Filter looked great no damage or tears on the media. The adv was pliable and the casing was very thin and flimsy. There's no doubt this filter is cheaply made but it got the job done and it looked like it could easily handle another 5k....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That filter element looks like a third grade science project.
LOL, agreed.

That filter scares me. If you want to stick with Fram then I suggest spending a little extra and get the Fram Tough Guard. I use to run them in my last car with a 3,000 mile OCI. The oil always looked good when I drained it even with 245,000 miles on the engine.

I currently use WIX filters in my car and will be switching over to Mann next oil change. My car uses cartridge style oil filters which makes it very easy to compare them without have to cut them apart.

Originally Posted By: mva
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Extra, Tough, Extended, and High Mileage

What's the difference between them?

Here is a comparison:

Fram Extra Guard PH5

ADBV material: Nitrile
Filter area: 183 sq/in

Fram Extra Guard 95% Multipass Efficiency at >20 microns

Fram Tough Guard TG5

ADBV material: Silicon
Filter area: 274 sq/in

Fram Toughguard 99% Multipass Efficiency at >20 microns

Toughguard has more filter media and higher efficiency plus a silicon anti drain back valve.

Fram Xtended Guard TG5

ADBV material: Silicon
Filter area: ?

Fram Xtended Guard 97% Multipass Efficiency at >20 microns

Xtended guard is a much heavier duty construction designed for long oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Originally Posted By: dishdude
That filter element looks like a third grade science project.
LOL, agreed.

Look at the media in these threads:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3303326/1/Motorcraft_FL-910S_cut_open_-_
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3274091/1/Purolator_PL14610_with_tears

I'd ask you all, if you're so convinced that the Fram media is a joke, how the MC filter media is so much "better" .... ???? Neither has any tears, no excess waviness, good seal to the top/bottom, even pleat distribution, etc. Since you seem to think the media in the EG is "third grade" material, then I must assume you that the MC media is also unworthy? Looking at the Puro, it clearly has a tear, but the rest of the media is no different than the Fram media.

I ask anyone who dislikes this filter example here, be SPECIFIC in how you think this filter fails it's task, whereas the media in other brands (of recent note, Puro and MC) is soooooo much better. What measurable criteria are you applying to think this filter is a grade-school project? Could you please articulate the direct, tangible measurables that lead to the conclusion you've made?

The EG in this thread did it's job quite well, and could probably double the FCI given this condition.

The brand bigotry that is rampant here really is suffocating at times.

Last edited:
yea the fram haters on here are a little ridiculous sometimes. that filter is fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use any fram filter. that (third grade project) looks great and definatly has NO TEARS, and looks better than most all puros on here lately.

I think the filter looks great, I dont know what you are all hating about. Only thing I dont care for on some Frams are the small inlet holes. Thankfully the Frams that go on Hondas have large inlet holes. Its probably a non-issue its just something I like to see.

Yeah, Frams are fine, they just don't "suit the eye" of the average oil snob. I've used them for many years, even on expensive race car engines, and never had a problem. Honda OEM filters are made by Fram - I never hear of any Honda or Acura engines suffering from premature failure. The "cardboard" end cap comments always make me chuckle.

Quote:
yea the fram haters on here are a little ridiculous sometimes....

As are imo the now bandwagon chicken little Purolator haters. Just sayin.

As for the OP's note regarding the orange can thickness, unless the filter is in a compromised location or combined with regular off roading, an insignificant consideration.

This orange can looks as though it did it's job, and based on it's appearance I'd say the engine is well maintained.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Since you seem to think the media in the EG is "third grade" material, then I must assume you that the MC media is also unworthy? I ask anyone who dislikes this filter example here, be SPECIFIC in how you think this filter fails it's task...What measurable criteria are you applying to think this filter is a grade-school project? Could you please articulate the direct, tangible measurables that lead to the conclusion you've made?
At the risk of being branded a "hater", it does appear that the number of pleats in the linked MC filter is about twice that of the FRAM filter.

I'm not saying the FRAM didn't "do the job", just that the MC appears to be a better value for money.

That actually looks better than a lot of PH8A's I've seen in the past, how many pleats did it have? For a long while it was only about 31 or so.

I have posted repeatedly before that I am convinced Fram's media is stronger than most, which is how they get away with so little of it. But think of what they could have if it had 50+ pleats? Cost difference to them would be tiny IMO.

All orange cans are not created equal, the PH8A's and PH16's have historically been among the very worst appearance wise inside, yet they still work.

Actually, the end caps on the Fram EG look to be in pretty good shape ... better than some posted here in the past. I was only used for 6 months and 5K miles, which is probably about what it's rated for.

I've mentioned before that if Fram used thicker fiber end caps like they do on the Honda filter line (and more media area as KCJeep mentioned), then their own Fram product might have a better design & quality reputation.

I'm definitely eating crow here in this case! That looks exceptional for 5000 miles. Much better than the above examples shown by dnewton.

The only thing that still bothers me is the rubber ADBV. Ill stick with the Tough Guard.

As far as the way Fram looks, I personally like the orange.. as well as the non slip grip.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'd ask you all, if you're so convinced that the Fram media is a joke, how the MC filter media is so much "better" .... ???? Neither has any tears, no excess waviness, good seal to the top/bottom, even pleat distribution, etc. Since you seem to think the media in the EG is "third grade" material, then I must assume you that the MC media is also unworthy? Looking at the Puro, it clearly has a tear, but the rest of the media is no different than the Fram media.

I ask anyone who dislikes this filter example here, be SPECIFIC in how you think this filter fails it's task, whereas the media in other brands (of recent note, Puro and MC) is soooooo much better. What measurable criteria are you applying to think this filter is a grade-school project? Could you please articulate the direct, tangible measurables that lead to the conclusion you've made?

The EG in this thread did it's job quite well, and could probably double the FCI given this condition.

The brand bigotry that is rampant here really is suffocating at times.

Nothing wrong with EG media(for its price range) other than not enough of them. I'll bet that the TG8A has more media than PH8A, also better quality too.

Currently I have Fram EG PH2849A(No TG available) on my S2000 now, I use it because I like to try a 2" longer filter to see how it effects the high strung engine at 7-8k RPM.

I also used Fram EG filter more than once in my LS400 for 1 year 15-16k miles OCI.

Nobody can say that I'm a Fram hater.

Last edited:
Frams are good filters, used them for years. I fed into the internet hype for a long time. I wont anymore. The only reason I don't use them right now is I find better deals on others so it's hard to go back.

Last edited:
I used to be biased against Fram because of the internet hype but I'm completely over it now. My next filter purchase will be a Fram.

Thanks for posting OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back