Fram Tough Guard TG7317 cut open (5,500 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was new old stock from 6 or 7 years ago, which I bought on clearance at that time. Notice how it still has the screen over the bypass valve. This was on a 2001 Civic LX and had around 5,500 miles on it. The miles were put on in about 3 or 4 months. Mostly all highway driving. Oil used was Quaker State 5W-20.

The filter looked perfect. No media deformations, no tears, and no warped endcaps. It looked much, much better than a Fram Extra Guard I cut open from a 1999 Grand Am that had warped media, and warped endcaps a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Fram again after seeing how nicely this one performed. The ADBV was pliable and working properly. The can was very thick and took me about 5 minutes to cut through with my Dremel (compared to about 30 seconds to cut through a Purolator PureONE). I should note that in the 2nd and 3rd pics, that is not brown glue at the bottom of the filter, it's just pooled oil.

20141102_144907_zpsbdcc52d8.jpg

20141102_144847_zpsf5b95c7a.jpg

20141102_144838_zpsb08806fe.jpg

20141102_144831_zpsfc1ced76.jpg

The media looks great.. the screen just has me scratching my head. Was the screen used to catch large contaminants?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Was the screen used to catch large contaminants?

Could be used for a tea stainer for guys that cut open filters to retrieve the screen - clean it well first ... LOL.

Not sure what the object of the screen was ... I guess to catch gigantic debris, but if there is crud that big coming through the oiling system the engine is probably already smoked.

The filter does look in good shape.

Looks fine. As noted this is an older TG with the now discontinued screen over bypass. Thought I'd try and find how it was marketed/advertised before the screen was quietly eliminated. Found what I believe to be how the screen was promoted when it was used.

"A screen-over bypass valve provides backup filtration during cold start-ups and added protection against larger particles of dirt." From this link.

Guess it wasn't that important after all, and I'm thinking cost less per unit to make without the screen.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Was the screen used to catch large contaminants?

Could be used for a tea stainer for guys that cut open filters to retrieve the screen - clean it well first ... LOL.

Not sure what the object of the screen was ... I guess to catch gigantic debris, but if there is crud that big coming through the oiling system the engine is probably already smoked.

The filter does look in good shape.

Yep, I think it was used as a rock catcher, but I'm not certain. I agree in that if there was anything big enough to be caught in the screen, there are other problems. It may also clog the screen and cause oil starvation.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks fine. As noted this is an older TG with the now discontinued screen over bypass. Thought I'd try and find how it was marketed/advertised before the screen was quietly eliminated. Found what I believe to be how the screen was promoted when it was used.

"A screen-over bypass valve provides backup filtration during cold start-ups and added protection against larger particles of dirt." From this link.

Guess it wasn't that important after all, and I'm thinking cost less per unit to make without the screen.

Has this sort of thing ever been done since VW used their screen? Seems a bit obsolete with todays modern technology.

I certainly don't know about complete oil filter history, but I've only ever seen the screen over bypass used on the TG.

Based on the description above it seems like they were trying to replicate the marketed benefit(s) of thread end bypass using the screen over dome bypass. But that's just my opinion.

still does not look as nice as the wix filters or even the cheap Chinese drive works filters from aap looks just ok i dont know about the media you really cant tell much from pictures. Its not wavy so thats a plus... or is it??

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
still does not look as nice as the wix filters or even the cheap Chinese drive works filters from aap looks just ok i dont know about the media you really cant tell much from pictures. Its not wavy so thats a plus... or is it??

It's better than both Wix and Driveworks, a solid run and no waves either.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

What do you feel is visually wrong with this filter?

Looks very similar to the TG I recently posted. You can go way further than 5.5k miles. Could likely double it without much risk, if the engine is known to be reasonably clean.

These are great filters for the price at the typical WallyWorld. Very efficient, good holding capacity, solid construction. Has become my go-to filter of late.

Last edited:
Indeed, it probably could have gone longer but we are preparing the vehicle for winter storage and I prefer to change the oil before storing it. The tough guard is usually what I recommend to people who ask for my opinion on what oil filter to use when they don't want the bare minimum but they don't want to spend over $10 on a premium filter.

I was at a WM last night killing time and saw these in the oil filter section! Not the 7317, but older stocked TG's with the tea strainer bypass. I imagine someone returned them for store credit.. Who knows. The boxes were very rough and they were stocked in front of their younger cousins priced exactly the same.

I took one out just to look and they even had a different paint job.. Very comparable to the EG, but just glossy grey. I prefer the more updated metallic grey myself. Matches my Jeep!
laugh.gif

I also found a used FL400s on the shelf. Gave it to the lady behind the auto department counter.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Looks great.

FRAM must have expected the bypass to get some usage.
When Bob did his oil filter test the Tough Guard was the most restrictive filter he tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back