FRAM Extra Guard PH7317 : 2 videos showing black nitrile instead of silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discussed plenty of times....lack of supply or cost of supply. If you notice the price of extra guard has all went up at Walmart/Amazon across the board. Loosely tracking this it appears some time after april-may production date codes have now moved back to silicone...and well before. Home depot tended to have older stock and silicone. Have 1 with nitrile (jan date code) in service and one in storage (april/may date code). Will continue to use for 5k with no sweating. It shouldn't make any difference unless you running this longer than OE spec timeframe (which for most is longest 1 yr).
(n)

It's only misleading if the box states silicone.
Which is does ... so technically it's false advertising. Edit - looks like Overkill beat me to it and posted similar info.

1661894418649.png

Last edited:
It’s a $4 filter. You get what you pay for; if you want better, buy better?

Let’s be honest, if you’re buying orange cans you’re not super worried about that vehicle anyway, orange black or NO ADBV. Even buying OEM would imply you place more value on said vehicle; orange can basically says “my car requires one, so I put one on it”.

:rolleyes:

🤡
Do you have first-hand knowledge of even one mechanical issue that was caused by a nitrile ADBV? Not, “well the valve failed because it was stiff and leaky”, an actual mechanical failure. Some engines get completely dry starts every single time they have an oil change (side- or top-mounted filters) and there aren’t any failures there either from dry starts.

There’s thousands of examples of failure from lack of maintenance, though.

It was a $4 filter when it had a silicone ADBV.

Let’s be honest, if you’re buying orange cans you’re not super worried about that vehicle anyway
It's 95% @ 20u and rated to 10K miles. That's actually a pretty good filter, better than a lot of others at more cost.

🤡
Do you have first-hand knowledge of even one mechanical issue that was caused by a nitrile ADBV? Not, “well the valve failed because it was stiff and leaky”, an actual mechanical failure. Some engines get completely dry starts every single time they have an oil change (side- or top-mounted filters) and there aren’t any failures there either from dry starts.
If the ADBV leaked all the oil out of the oiling system every time it was shut down, then you're doing dry starts every time the engine is started. Every dry start could cause a little extra engine wear ... and nobody is claiming an engine is going to fail/explode from a leaky ADBV. People don't change their oil every day to simulate a leaky ADBV. 😄

Last edited:

Let’s be honest, if you’re buying orange cans you’re not super worried about that vehicle anyway, orange black or NO ADBV. Even buying OEM would imply you place more value on said vehicle; orange can basically says “my car requires one, so I put one on it”.
I sense sarcasm so I won't get triggered. 😂 Subie and Honda filters are made by Fram with worse efficiency, so doesn't make much sense.

You should get what you pay for as printed on the box . That's the point for the post .

I sense sarcasm so I won't get triggered. 😂 Subie and Honda filters are made by Fram with worse efficiency, so doesn't make much sense.

The HONDA will cost you double at the dealer . That is likely to have the orange silicone A.D.B.V..

You should get what you pay for as printed on the box . That's the point for the post .
I suggest a class action lawsuit if it really bothers you. Nobody has proven that it is not actually black silicone.

Nobody has proven that it is not actually black silicone.
It's been proven to be nitrile. Watch the end of the first video.

This is where Whip City got the idea to do burn tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back