Fram Endurance - synthetic and wire backed

........ decipher First Brands date codes.........
In the case of attached FE pic, specifically for Champ Labs made FE date code, 23038AF, made Feb 7 this year.

It seems two different Fram filters were discussed here. The topic FE and then recently added Ultra XG. The former are not sealed .........yet. The latter still tape sealed at top, and at least for spin-on, glued shut on bottom.

Since topic of breaking Ultra XG seal broached, I'd make a distinction. If one intends to buy a specific XG filter and wants to give a pre-purchase inspection, seems reasonable.

Otoh, breaking the seal on multiple filters to check for OG Ultra wire backing and media, I'm not down with that. Imo, that only contributes to the low life folks swapping Ultra to another lower tier filter box. My .02

Last edited:
At my Wal mart this morning; none of them had clear plastic seal. Dunno if that’s good or bad. Didn’t see evidence of it being ripped off either
Just picked up a FE10358 for my Corolla, and can confirm about the plastic seals. I picked one up, noticed it didn’t have the seal on it. Then looked at many and none had a seal on it

Just picked up a FE10358 for my Corolla, and can confirm about the plastic seals. I picked one up, noticed it didn’t have the seal on it. Then looked at many and none had a seal on it
The Fram website says these will only be available at Wal-Mart. Does anyone know why this is?

The Fram website says these will only be available at Wal-Mart. Does anyone know why this is?
To build a product at the retailers price point to sell. To work with the manufacturer with a product that will be only on the retailers shelves.

Still some wire backed Ultra’s left at my Walmart.

F3E57E64-3E99-4F30-B822-6DCA77467CC0.jpeg
5BD4F802-DBCB-4B66-8046-94C34750BEFD.jpeg
58073595-CF6D-4C52-88E1-262B098D8253.jpeg

Can someone explain why Fram has chosen the following weasel-words in their efficiency claim for their "Fram Endurance" filter line?

"FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns." (Emphasis mine). Why are they including data from filters of completely different design in their claim for the Endurance filter line?

Can someone explain why Fram has chosen the following weasel-words in their efficiency claim for their "Fram Endurance" filter line?

"FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency of FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967 or equivalent FRAM TG or EG models under ISO 4548-12 for particles greater than 20 microns." (Emphasis mine). Why are they including data from filters of completely different design in their claim for the Endurance filter line?
Weasel words? They say that across their entire line of filters, not just FE line.
Please look into other brands claims. Others typically test only 1 filter per line and its usually a larger than average filter, whereas Fram is testing 3 sizes.

So, while I can't speak to your question I don't think its some kind of conspiracy revelation you think it might be.
Especially as the old Fram XG was tested and found to be much better than the competition and matching or beating the claim.
99.9% at 20 and they could have claimed 99+% at 15micron.

Does anybody know what the flow rate is, of the ultra synthetic or the endurance. There was some talk on another forum, that the Fram has excellent filter ability but the flow rate, is low compared to some other filters..

A filter does not determine flow rate, A filter can only cause an amount of pressure drop, which will be limited by the bypass valve in the filter, except for very cold starts where the oil pump bypass is activated the flow rate in an engine will remain constant per rpm and the pressure increases to overcome the restriction.

A filter does not determine flow rate, A filter can only cause an amount of pressure drop, which will be limited by the bypass valve in the filter, except for very cold starts where the oil pump bypass is activated the flow rate in an engine will remain constant per rpm and the pressure increases to overcome the restriction.

Maybe that's what they're talking about I am not sure. Well for example on a cold start, is there more of a chance with Fram Endurance or US to get upper end noise then other filters?

I was at Walmart today just browsing around for a few minutes before an appointment, went to the automotive section to see if they had the updated version of my Toyota filter YZZG2 which they did not but I decided to check out the FRAM Synthetic Endurance for both my Chevy and Toyota so I opened the boxes which were not taped closed and took a peek.

FE3614 and FE3387A

On both of them there was louvers which were clearly closed and the Toyota one was the worst with a good majority of it being mostly closed. So if you are buying these filters be sure to check out the louvers before purchasing and grab another one. I did not see any other issues, no rust, metal shavings on the threads, etc but unfortunately the average DIYer probably won't even think of this.

I may for the hell of it give them a run next oil change even though I am not a fan of them, was hoping to see some used ones cut open I remember seeing some members here saying they would over a month ago not sure what happened in regards to that.

Back