Fram EG with silicone ADBV pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

But at Walmart it isn't twice the price for the TG its about $2 and change. I believe the EG is only rated for 5K.

The Orange Can Of Delight is $3.77, Tough Guard is $6.64. So not quite double, but it is almost $3 more.

As mentioned above, the new box no longer has the 5,000 mile limit (although also as stated, the website has not been updated to reflect the recent changes).

Would I run a OCOD for 10,000 miles, no, but I also would not run a TG to that mileage either.
For "normal" OCI (3,000-7,500 miles) I would have no issue with the OCOD with the silicone ADV.

I think a orange can could go 10k miles depending upon amount of capacity the filter holds. But that information is really all too easy to find. Though I do think your thinking here is pretty much spot on.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
good for fram, now put in metal end cap while at it, then that would be a solid oil filter for the price. Thank for pix op

No, please don't! Rigid metal end caps + paper media = Tearolator!

Yeah right - so post up links to all the torn CQ Blue filters manufactured by Fram with metal end caps with tears in them.

Fram has demonstrated among others that they can sucessfully manufacture oil filters with metal end caps and high efficiency long life media without wire backed synthetic media, at a competitive price. So Fram can do it IF they want to - obviously, they simply don't care to do so for an oil filter bearing the Fram name.

I've bought & stashed 10 of the Fram manufactured CQ Blue 84899 oil filters with Fram media rated for 10K miles & 99.5% efficiency and metal end caps from AAP that have a list price is $6.49, come to $4 or less after discount code & minor Speedperks rewards. A Fram TG2 is $5.59 @ Pep Boys after discount code, $6.64 @ Walmart.

Fram OCOD = Fram Orange Can Of Dead.

cut fram OCOD open and see how cheap and sad its, im no near purolator fan so dont put that tearalator on me, im more of a wix/napa gold guy.

Last edited:

cut fram OCOD open and see how cheap and sad its, im no near purolator fan so dont put that tearalator on me, im more of a wix/napa gold guy.

Metal end caps do nothing to improve how a filter works or for longevity.
Millions of cars are using filters without metal caps.
Fram is not the only maker that does this.
It's silly to compare an orange can to a top tier NAPA Gold

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
But it's not silly to set a Tough Guard head to head with a Napa Gold / Wix.

+1 I have gotten great results with either one. I have not discovered any issues with either one. I have run hundreds of Extra Guards without issue too.

Don't fear the Orange Can Of Delight
grin.gif

And the OCOD is 1/2 the price of a Wix at retail.

Please explain how the Fram Extra Guard (or Tough Guard) is so bad.

Both Fram and Wix have a metal center tube with holes, silicone ADV, and blended media.
Fram has the sure grip coating (some like and some don't).
Fram also has published filtering efficiency (95% and 99% for TG, tell me exactly what the filter efficiency of the Wix is @ 20 microns).
Fram uses a dome end bypass, most Wix are thread end (but see more starting to be dome end).

So that leaves the big difference being the endcaps. Fiber vs Metal.
They both have their merits.
The fiber allows better bonding with the media, as well as resists tearing compared to metal.
Metal, well, what makes metal better than fiber? Stronger? In what way.

15 years ago, I would not use a Fram, I was primarily a Wix guy, and still like Wix when I find them for cheap.
But why spend $7 on a Wix when I can get a Fram for less?

WM had a size I use 4386 for 7.97, $4 more than an EG. I have seen the pictures of EG's here, no thanks when I can get the U for $4 more. Even if I changed a filter once a month rather than once a year I would still spend the $4. If I go the grocery store, $4 buys me almost nothing. At the gas station it's less than 1.5 gals of regular here. Want to save money on a car
smile.gif
, buy a car that uses less gas.

My dad, Blueovalfitter, said he would disown me if I put an orange Fram oil filter on my car or truck. He does like the Fram Ultra.
He also said he would not only disown me he would embarrass me if I ever leave the same oil filter on my engine for another/multiple oil change.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad, Blueovalfitter, said he would disown me if I put an orange Fram oil filter on my car or truck. He does like the Fram Ultra.
He also said he would not only disown me he would embarrass me if I ever leave the same oil filter on my engine for another/multiple oil change.

Oh, we know how he feels about Fram filters and 1 oil change per filter.

I will be using a lot of orange cans once the silicone ADBV's get in the pipeline better. Have used many in the last 35 years but Fram has gone and made them even better. Was at Wally's today the few they had with the silicone ADBV were the still the same $3.77 price, what a steal. But if I am going to do a 10k OCI like I do on some vehicles it will still be a TG for the extra capacity. Although it may not be needed in a clean engine.

I agree KC Jeep. No change in price for my Fram orange 7317 with silicone ADBV. $3.77 for that is quite a decent deal. And I am curious about what the capacity is of the 7317 in both Extra Guard and TG versions.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So that leaves the big difference being the endcaps. Fiber vs Metal.
They both have their merits.
The fiber allows better bonding with the media, as well as resists tearing compared to metal.
Metal, well, what makes metal better than fiber? Stronger? In what way.

I've never seen a metal end cap do quite what the fiber end cap of this Autolite filter did. Autolite oil filter = jobber Fram orange can with different paint & no sure grip

LINK

Not trying to give you a hard time here my friend
smile.gif

But I would hypothesize that this Autolite filter is not a typical circumstance.

That filter was pulled around from "post to post" so to speak. This is not a regular interval run done to that filter. I would say look at all of the Fram orange filters ran in the last 3 plus years on here that have been cut and posted. They have looked rather good even with some of them going 9k miles.

Last edited:
My local WM is starting to get a few of the new ones in but I'm still waiting for the 3600 and whatever the XJ takes. I'd even run one on the LR3 but I don't think I've ever seen that one at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back