FRAM Drive 9688 w/pics $4.99 @AAP

Eagel Eye Sayjac....

Can see charcoal briquettes in the pitch dark no problem.... :LOL:
Good line bbhero, you made me laugh. (y)Really just recognized a letter commonly seen on Champ filters base plate. Had to look a little closer though because it's on it's side rather than perpendicular to the gasket like the ST9688 posted HERE, fourth pic.

Apparently not so eagle though because the Y itself still looks 'to me' to be raised from surrounding metal, rather than recessed/indented like the ST in the link. Bugged me so much I went to AAP (
Of course I can see charcoal briquettes in the dark, as long as they've been lit. :p

Last edited:
I'm betting it's stamped (looks like it to me anyway). It's way easier to stamp than make it raised, and they stamp the others so why change the process ?

I think what going on is confusion in terminology. I don't necessarily disagree that the Y is stamped, just that in the case of topic Y, stamp results in the letter being raised from surrounding metal as opposed to ST9688 indented. OP can look at it again if he chooses in real life and weigh in. But either way it doesn't appear the same as the ST9688 Y to me. All that said, most importantly it's agreed it's a Y, the other an extraneous observation.

When stamped into the surface, the letter or whatever will be below the surface, not above it.

Good line bbhero, you made me laugh. (y)Really just recognized a letter commonly seen on Champ filters base plate. Had to look a little closer though because it's on it's side rather than perpendicular to the gasket like the ST9688 posted HERE, fourth pic.

Apparently not so eagle though because the Y itself still looks 'to me' to be raised from surrounding metal, rather than recessed/indented like the ST in the link. Bugged me so much I went to AAP (
Of course I can see charcoal briquettes in the dark, as long as they've been lit. :p

Glad I could make you laugh....

I see what you're saying here... It being raised vs imprinted.

Still.... You did hit the circumstance very, very, very well though.

Zee had me laughing one time with putting the video of Breaking the Law by Judas Priest up on one of our filter conversations on here.. I was laughing so hard... That was awesome !!!

I enjoy being on here. Sayjac I always appreciate your analysis and help on here. You are really awesome. And I mean that one hundred percent. People like YOU, Zee, SR5, Shannon, rooflessvw, wemay, dishdude, Molakule, Pimtac JeffK, Wayne, Overkill, Blueovalfitter, Strude53, Astro 14, Ascent filtration aka Andrew, Zee09, Gebo, Trav, The Critic, Clinebarger, edyvw and a number of others really help make this place very informative, helpful, educational and very thought provoking. I am thankful for all the guys on here.

Zee had me laughing one time with putting the video of Breaking the Law by Judas Priest up on one of our filter conversations on here.. I was laughing so hard... That was awesome !!!
LoL ... I remember that. I think that was in response to guys opening filter boxes in Walmart to checkout the filter before buying it.

Glad I could make you laugh....

I see what you're saying here... It being raised vs imprinted.

Still.... You did hit the circumstance very, very, very well though........
Hey, implied that I'm open to the Y being stamped which apparently can only mean recessed/indented. I just can't see it on either of the two computers I use. But, I can see the imprint on ST9688 and other Champ Labs filters. So possible it's an optical illusion for me. As for why change process, perhaps for same reason Y on side on topic and M1 posted as opposed to ST9688? Either way and most importantly, I'm fine with it.

As for compliment, back at you bbhero. As a semi related aside and OT, was reading a newer thread starter first time yesterday on another subforum about bitog not being the same as it was at some point. Unsure when precisely that point in time. I was like, with all the things going on in the world, I have much bigger things to be concerned about. Honestly, at my age and all things considered currently, I feel lucky to still be able to post 'if I choose'. And I've added a couple other places to post for one topic not allowed here, specifically 'P' related. My thought, if things that bad here take a break for some period of time. I've done it before a few times and done it without announcing it or complaining. I post the thought here because didn't want to add fuel to that discussion. Did agree completely with one particular response post there and gave it a thumbs up. Now, off my soap box.

Again though, appreciate you and your thoughts. I like to see some comic relief.

Funny the one and only time I had startup noise on my hyundai was using a fram ultra. This looks suspiciously similar to the M1 M-104a sitting in my cabinet.
My Hyundai was experiencing startup rattle with the Fram Ultra. Went back to OEM and problem solved. So it is a balancing act. Do I get more wear out of a lower efficiency filter or more wear with a high efficiency filter that rattles the engine on startup?

Reactions: Job
My Hyundai was experiencing startup rattle with the Fram Ultra. Went back to OEM and problem solved. So it is a balancing act. Do I get more wear out of a lower efficiency filter or more wear with a high efficiency filter that rattles the engine on startup?
I think the wear you would encounter from using a slightly lower efficiency oil filter over the life of the car would mean the difference of the engine crapping out at 600K miles vs 599.9K miles

@Sayjac
@ZeeOSix
It's stamped. Some are positioned horizontal to the circumference, others vertical.

Both images are from separate FD9688

20210403_105826.jpg
20210403_110145.jpg

^^^Now both those views I can discern Y being imprinted/indented. Correspondingly the letter itself also very distinguishable, obviously. Odd, apparently no rhyme or reason for letter orientation.

Thanks for follow up.

Higher efficiency filters can flow just as good or better than lower efficiency filters. There isn't necessarily a correlation between efficiency and flow ... espeically with PD pumps being used. The start-up rattle was most likely due to a leaky ADBV, which has nothing to do with efficiency.

I've never experienced startup rattle on any of our H/K vehicles. I've used jobber Valvoline filters and SuperTech up to Fram Ultra and OEM. Not once.

Three times I have used Fram Ultra on my Hyundai. Every time, consistently had startup rattle.

The y would have to be stamped before the base was bent, I think, given one is on the curved part. Maybe it was done by laser. Counterfeiting security?

Am I the only one who is ready to go back to the days of the Advanced Auto Parts "Totalgrip" filters, whch were made by Purolator (back when Purolator could actually make a quality filter) and pay $1.44 for one?

I am.

1617492217037.png

Am I the only one who is ready to go back to the days of the Advanced Auto Parts "Totalgrip" filters, whch were made by Purolator......
AAP Total Grip, now there's a blast from the past. Heck of a filter for the price. It could have been the first OF I c&p this subforum, wayyy before dissection known as c&p. I used many AA7317 on Honda and Nissan Altima back in the day, never disappointed. An oddity, they used Fram numbering system. Texture was great. Looks like last or one of the last I c&p 2012 still archived pics on bitog, google images links to. When AAP closed them out @~$1.45, iirc moved them to commercial side, grabbed what I could of the 7317. Replaced by China Driveworks. And so it goes.

Last edited:
I wonder why they went with the ecore construction.

Is ecore and Fram still related? I didn’t think they were.

I’d use it worry free, but it certainly isn’t a bargain either.
Back to the future-Fram & Champion Labs used to be the same company, then Champion was spun off, and now Trico/First Brands have picked Champion back up, and apparently merged Fram & Champion back together. This filter is a great example, Fram name, obvious Champ Ecore construction. Ecores are available for less money, whether they're Super Tech, Rock Auto, or even STP at AZ.

I saw that during my trip last couple day . I like what the heck happen to the grip . That my only favore thing about I like about the fram

Back to the future-Fram & Champion Labs used to be the same company, then Champion was spun off, and now Trico/First Brands have picked Champion back up, and apparently merged Fram & Champion back together. This filter is a great example, Fram name, obvious Champ Ecore construction. Ecores are available for less money, whether they're Super Tech, Rock Auto, or even STP at AZ.

The new black can K&N SO-1004 is also the same ecore design.

Screenshot_20210409-063907_Chrome.jpg

Back