Fram 3614 series for OPE?

at work i run a Purolator BOSS 3614 sized filter. it will be getting an OG wire backed Titanium FS3600 on friday.
The Boss and Titaniums are both overkill filters for OPE, and still way cheaper than the OPE branded filters. I've always said the OPE filters are fine, nothing wrong with them, they just aren't a good value. I was in Tractor Supply this weekend and happened to go down the OPE aisle. There wasn't an oil filter under $12, and the $12 one was a cheap knock-off.

Reactions: pbm
I've got an FL400 on my 28HP Briggs commercial turf engine, my 17HP Kawasaki takes a different size(can't remember which).
Just bought a Kohler 14KW backup gen, believe it has the 725cc engine, I need to find the alternative filter for it but honestly, that OEM filter can probably stay on there for years.

The Boss and Titaniums are both overkill filters for OPE, and still way cheaper than the OPE branded filters. I've always said the OPE filters are fine, nothing wrong with them, they just aren't a good value. I was in Tractor Supply this weekend and happened to go down the OPE aisle. There wasn't an oil filter under $12, and the $12 one was a cheap knock-off.
meant to say on the forklift on that post. oops

OT....Another 3614 sized filter that I won't be buying anymore is the Motorcraft 910. It was a good value 2 years ago at $3.97 everyday at Walmart....now it's $8.44 everyday at Walmart....that's more than double the price for the exaxt same filter...

OT....Another 3614 sized filter that I won't be buying anymore is the Motorcraft 910. It was a good value 2 years ago at $3.97 everyday at Walmart....now it's $8.44 everyday at Walmart....that's more than double the price for the exaxt same filter...
"inflation".

Went this year to get a filter, and found they had jumped to $11. and change.
That's what I found as well - prices had doubled.

Yes, some mower manufacturers cram the engine in there and a shorter filter must be used.
However, the OP stated that he has been using the 3614. So, he’s okay with the fit.
Yeah, that's what I've read from others or a steering arm linkage runs right under and any filter longer than stock gets in the way.

Of course, just 2-3 weeks prior, I gave away a TG3614 that fit my wife's Fusion, which we no longer have.... 😂 Oh well, once I saw that the WM version fit and was just a few bucks, I was fine with it. 😂

Last year I used a Fram 3614 on my 22hp kohler engine......this year I'm using a Purolator PL 10241 oil filter on it...
After reading the stuff online I've seen about Fram, scares me who knows if there is any truth to what is been told about the Fram filters, guess we will never no the real truth.....

Last year I used a Fram 3614 on my 22hp kohler engine......this year I'm using a Purolator PL 10241 oil filter on it...
After reading the stuff online I've seen about Fram, scares me who knows if there is any truth to what is been told about the Fram filters, guess we will never no the real truth.....
Does the stuff you read online about Purolator filters scare you as well?

My father has had a Cub Cadet riding mower for 12+ years. I think it has the same 17hp Kohler engine. It has used cheapo automotive filters since the original filter was changed (OEM filters are stupidly expensive and small). At some point, I bought several Fram racing on clearance for 25c (HP7, I think). We also had two cars in the family that used 3614 filters, so I left him more than a dozen filters in that size. When I lived nearby and helped him mow, it saw 50-100 hours yearly, and the oil and filter were changed annually every spring. As far as I know, the mower still runs like a champ regarding engine performance.

Are the PH, TG, and XG 3614 still good enough for a slightly hotter ( air cooled ) and lower oil flow application? The 3/4-16 threaded oil filter stud on the Kohler only has about a 1/4 inch oil passage, so the oil flow should be lower than a car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
My opinion is no but heck no. Way too many issues with the fram filters now days.
Endurance excluded I would avoid.
You could just slap a good ole super tech oil filter on there to go with your super tech oil. IMO it’s a much better option.

I've been hesitant to use an orange can on the mower I run because these air cooled lawn engines run a lot hotter than a regular car. Could that increase the odds of an endcap failure?

I've been hesitant to use an orange can on the mower I run because these air cooled lawn engines run a lot hotter than a regular car. Could that increase the odds of an endcap failure?
I would be more worried about end cap failure on Purolator or Wixalator.

Anyone know if the Toro/Exmark branded Loncins are the same thread and gasket size as the filters discussed here?

I have a 2001 Craftsman lawn mower with 17 HP Kohler engine. I have used a Fram PH or XG 3614 and Supertech synthetic 10w30 changed every other year for years. My usage is about 25 hours per year. I use the 3614 series because a taller filter will not fit.

Now, I read that Fram has cheapened all their filters except the megabuck endurance series. Are the PH, TG, and XG 3614 still good enough for a slightly hotter ( air cooled ) and lower oil flow application? The 3/4-16 threaded oil filter stud on the Kohler only has about a 1/4 inch oil passage, so the oil flow should be lower than a car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I know your original post is mainly about oil filters, but I did have a question about your choice of oil. You mention that you use SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30.

Mowers typically recommend API SG-SL rated oil on purpose due to the higher phosphorus anti-wear additive of API SG-SL oils. Is a lower phosphorous API SP oil like the one you're using going to cause more engine wear in the mower?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Toro/Exmark branded Loncins are the same thread and gasket size as the filters discussed here?
Fram 4967
Or STP S4967
WIX or NAPA Gold will not work. The reason being is the baseplate will contact the engine mounting surface before the gasket can compress enough to make the seal.

I find it interesting that you keep taking cheap shots at members here rather that acknowledge that Fram is ripping people off calling this weak paper filter a 20k synthetic …
So, run one 20k - then C&P …

I will talk with Fram and this Zee0Six Guy tonight at our Meeting, he owes me 5 bucks, so I need to get that money 1st.
Fram is not ripping people off, they have different oil filters that have stood up to the mileage intervals for their particular oil filters.

Zee0Six, dollar bills or a $5.00 dollar bill will be fine, pennies are not welcome. If you want to give me a $10.00 bill or a $20.00 bill that is fine, realize I have no change or sense. LOL

Back