found M1 Racing 0W-30 previous generation $3/QT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local Advance Auto had 18 qts on clearance shelf and I asked to buy them all for $3 ea and manager agreed. They were marked 4.95 ea.

My questions are, is this oil ok to run in street engines that are beefed up for 5-10k intervals? Anyone have an idea of the starting TBN of this oil, or ZDDP levels of AW additives? I'm hoping it's ok to run in say a hard-worked truck or sports car for about 5-10k intervals, depending on driving conditions. I guess I need to do a search here as well as look at some VOA's.

the high ZDDP levels will kill your cat and 02 sensors. thats why its not recommended for street use.

Last edited:
By beefed up, I mean higher profile camshaft or flat tappet with somewhat higher spring pressures, mildly higher compression engines. Not worried in the least about catalyst poisoning. We have no emissions testing here anyhow. Not really an issue unless an oil-burning engine, in my experience.

Does anyone know what this oil cost in its day or what the current M1 racing formulation costs now? There are no API or any other designations on these bottles. Only "0W-30 racing oil" on older style bottle from a few years back. Big Black M1 on the front of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
$6 back in the day.

AAP got rid of it the same time they got rid of Redline oil.

Around here in Michigan it was closer to $9 qt. back in the day. I managed to get a large quantity from Murray's Auto Parts that had it in assorted stores over 3 states (Michigan, Ohio and Illinois). The Murray's district manager used his inventory computer to find which stores had it and send it to my local Murray's store for purchase - no shipping charge. I paid $2/qt clearance price back then - two years ago. A nice gesture by that manager, don't you think? I am still sitting on about 50 qts.

I would not worry about using it in your application. I am also using a 50/50 mix of this Mobil 1 Racing 0W30/ Mobil 1 MX4T 10W40 motorcycle oil in my small engines and air cooled generators that spec a 30wt oil. Both oils chock full of phosphorus and zinc (around the 1800 level). Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back