Found in NC: SuperTech 0w-16!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much to my surprise in a very warm climate, I found SuperTech 0W-16. Not only am I amazed that SuperTech sells this grade, I'm extra suprised this thin of an oil is sold this far south. They also had 1 shelf slot of Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16, but the shelf was mostly dominated with 5W-20, xW-30's, and diesel oils. If my commute was a bit shorter, I'd certainly run this in the winter months in my Impreza or the wife's Corolla and see how consumption/MPG is.
[Linked Image]

"Normal" folks (that excludes most BITOGGERS) will put in what is specified.
I assume the mfgrs that are speccing 0W16 for USA validated engines include every locale from Fairbanks to Death Valley.

I hope your next 4 posts are more exciting. 0W-16 is a non-issue in oils spec'd for it. As the overall viscosity goes down, base oil quality has been steadily improving. If your car is spec'd for it you can use it year round.
[Linked Image]

Would you truly trust a 0w16 in a mountainous area with a lot of long fairly steep grades?? Would you trust it to keep a motor from experiencing part failures in a motor well outside of warranty?? Like 150k miles plus... Or trust in a TGDI motor that dilutes the oil a fair amount??

These are scenarios I would wonder about...

Having said that... There have been examples shown that this grade of oil is noted to be extremely well formulated. That this oil grade is quite a special oil in terms of what is made from in terms of additives and base oils.

I have read where NASCAR teams were running a 0w oil for qualifying runs... Though it certainly was not run on the race day.

Last edited:
I'm shocked
Had no idea Toyota and Honda sold the same cars in the South as they do in the North 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Amazing news !!!...³...³ðŸ¤£...‚🤣

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I still can't believe they're selling 0W-30! Too Thin, even for the for frozen arctic!!!
40.gif

Welcome to the 21st century. How was your nap?
[Linked Image]

It will never get as hot in the south as it does in your engine. If your engine specs call for 0w16 then run it with no worries.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I still can't believe they're selling 0W-30! Too Thin, even for the for frozen arctic!!!
40.gif

Having a 0w20 and 5w30 spec vehicle the 0w30 hits both sweet spots. I dont like using 0w30 in the RX350 but in a pinch or winter it works. Seems many older Hondas 5w20 spec like the M1 Amsoil 0w30 better.

My buddy owns fkxracing and told me the new turbo's on < than 30 wt oils alongside GDi aren't gonna last long. Unless people are as anal as me on top quality fuels/oil I can see issues coming soon. Wont buy a DI & Boosted vehicle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Marco620
0w16 isnt going in my new Honda. Plan on running Castrol Magnatec 0w20 for 3 oci and then going q oci w/ redline oil 0w20 prn.
Why? I am interested in the thought process as to why.

Id run the ultra thick 0W20 in a new Honda/Toyota as well. CAFE is the reason. If CAFE didnt exist, then every car made would use 0W40 oil. Period. And for good reason.

The old saying is to increase the weight when going boost or forced induction.What has changed? 16W is great for around town but its not a balls to the wall 90mph all day oil.This eco friendly BS mindset is a false narrative and has to stop. I only run 0w20 redline to shut honda up about oem oil and get a better film strength on the moving parts. If we look at Europe for oil requirements on the same engine then its always a weight heavier. Even in the Fords and 5w20 we see people going to 5w30 and beyond. I will stick to my high hths,non ethanol mentality.Its carried me almost 260,000 miles in less than four years. When the Honda guys come to me with their fuel and oil issues I only say that you get what you get and you are paying for it now. Use better oil Grp 4&5 and buy non ethanol fuels and use only pea based additives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Id run the ultra thick 0W20 in a new Honda/Toyota as well. CAFE is the reason. If CAFE didnt exist, then every car made would use 0W40 oil. Period. And for good reason.

I would think if CAFE wasn't a factor, you'd see more owners manuals speccing' lower spread oils that are [more] naturally shear stable, like a 10w30 or even mono grades???

Last edited:
We have 0w-16 in both Mobil1 AFE and Supertech here in my local Walmart. Some vehicles such as the 2019 Toyota Camry are spec'd for 0W-16. If you dig into this a little further you will find that the Japanese have been running 0w-16 for a decade now.

Marco, where's your control sample to validate your results? You can't say with any certainty that your use of Redline and Archoil has improved anything over just following the manufacturer's requirements. Strong emotions don't make a belief true. Congrats on your results so far, but are they a testament to you over maintaining the vehicle or the robustness of Honda's engines and plain 0W20?

As was stated above, even though the oil is "thin", the temps of an engine and the oil temps are actually fairly tightly regulated, and the engines have been designed to keep coolant, oil, and trans fluid temps within a certain range. Unless you have modified the engine, if you follow the vehicle's service intervals all recommended fluids should provide a service life that exceeds the length of time that one would continuously own the vehicle. Just look at some of the "buy here, pay here" car lots where vehicles have 200k+ miles and you know they weren't over-maintained. Still running.

I looked at a 2020 Corolla SE yeasterday with the 2.0. It has a 0W16 sticker on the engine. No plastic shield on top of the engine unlike most new vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back