Found a carb counter that works with me

I just wanted to say its a number and needs are different but I’ve always been focused on the importance of protein at every single meal I believe it’s a reason and just eating healthy and physically active I’ve been able to drop near 100 lbs and kept it off for years.

Is there some science for this? Link?

Not saying you are wrong. Just what backing?

5'8" - I weigh 171. Goal is 165 with core strength and no belly meat hanging or protruding.

I think you mean "fat" ;-) Meat would be muscle!

The important part of these discussions is realizing what works for someone else might not work for you. At the end of the day, the goal is to get enough fat, protein, vitamins, and calories to keep our bodies happy. Some can thrive on low carb, and some will die. Some need high protein to build muscle, and some need a fraction of that.

I'm not a fan of low carb to the point of being in ketosis...I don't think it is good for your brain, or for building muscle. I think most people who think they are low carb are probably getting enough carbs to stay out of ketosis, but watching them enough to not have calorie excess.

There is a general rule of thumb about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body mass to maintain, or slightly build muscle while trying to lose fat. While I can't site a long-term study, it has been a well regarded general guideline for as long as I have been training.

5'8" and 171 without a body composition means nothing...are you fat, athletic, muscular? I am only 5'9", but have not been below 200 (besides weigh-ins) since college.

There are lots of folks out there who are "skinny-fat"...maybe they don't look fat in their clothes, but their muscle mass is so low, they are actually obese when you look at their composition.

Anyways...been an avid athlete since I was a child, and weight training and competing for about 30 years now ;-) Find what works for you, take the time to experiment, and hit the weights. YOU WILL NOT TURN INTO ARNOLD just by lifting weights. You will burn more fat, tone your underlying muscle, and improve your quality of life.

lo carb is surely good BUT many non typical nutritionalists note time restricted eating is even more important because when your not eating or drinking anything that raises blood sugar insulin stays lower + high insulin is said to be related in ALL health issues. my favorite Dr Sten Ekburg explains in great detail "how the body works", i enjoy + learn from his weekly you tubes as well as many older ones. whatever works for you with little or NO prescriptions is surely good IMO!!

Back