Low Carb + intermittent fasting WORKS for me!!

yesterdays Wellness visit revealed the best ever results!! my size has been good for a long time but higher than it should BP was annoying + being 73 i thought not too bad, BUT after intermittent fasting, NO breakfast + two meals daily NO snacks or anything else that raises blood sugar + resultant insulin spike the real issue i was happy with a 128-84 BP reading, the best since my younger days when it hovered around 128-64 when donating blood. my Dr is groaning about higher LDL but cardiologist Dr Nadir Ali explains on his vids that low carb raises LDL + not necessarily a bad thing!! works for me!

I fast for a minimum of 16 hours everyday. Today, at 11:30am, I had homemade soft tacos and salsa for lunch with a piece of cake for dessert. Tonight, just before 7PM, I had three scoops of homemade ice cream. Only water and espresso (no sugar) in between.

i do 16-8 as well, very EZE IMO. fasting is great as is eating low carb + once your accustomed to lower carbs craving go away + your rarely hungry. my brunch at about 12-30 is usually the bigger meal except when girlfriend is around + we eat supper somewhere out. i enjoy the good fatty foods that fill you up without increasing sugar levels that cause the insulin response that is the real issue. after 18 months doing this my BP continually dropped as did triglycerides. whatever work for YOU is what counts + being retired although active its not like working 8 hrs + driving 2 to 3 hrs daily for my carpenter-drywall hanger construction job so i require less FUEL to keep movin!!

I need to go back to low-carb. It works so well! You just feel better, provided you take a good dose of vitamins with it. As Dr Atkins pointed out you'll feel sluggish if you don't.

I am down about 22 lbs in 1.5 years of intermittent fasting, but sometimes it's hard when doing shift work. I try to do 16-8 or 18-6, depending on what shift I am working from one day to another. Breakfast is a must and lunch around 12-1pm. Then, water throughout the day. Being Asian, it's hard to give up rice and noodles, but since I am eating smaller portions than before, it's doable. Snacks are infrequent and I don't really watch sugar content. Eat whatever during the eating period. I don't miss buffet places anymore.

Got it down to 11 food items and 2 meals a day, you can end up feeling stuffed, but it is also easy to skip a meal although I consume coffee usually with half and half or vanilla flavored no sugar protien drink like Muscle Milk to get me through the skipped meal, I wouldn't need it but it is a good alternative.

At super meal between 3 to 6 pm, I am also chopping and bagging the breakfast/lunch meal for the next day so it is ready and easy especially for at work key here, fresh chopped makes easy consumption from a fold-top cheap baggie.

1. Asparagus
2. Green beans or snow peas or the like
3. Green top onions
4. Mushrooms
5. Spinach, key here is chopped spinach though whole leave is doable
6. Blueberries
7. Pear
8. Peanuts
9. Walnuts
10. Meat, pre-cooked fajita type Chicken at super and 2 Beef sticks for Breakfast/lunch
11. Popcorn

Simple, easy. On weekends I have a microwave 'meat lovers' bowl from Aldi's frozen section, just because it's easy and has eggs for the earlier meal I just add any and sometime most all the other listed ingredients to enhance it and sometimes use this for my skip meal day and I'll put off eating till afternoon by drinking coffee and staying busy.

I am usually never overly hungry and feel stuffed after each meal or if I do tend to eat more popcorn in the evening if still hungry or craving something, the peanuts/walnuts at the earlier meal for extended munchies.

Haven't cheated once since last November nor do I have the desire to eat outside of this diet, likely I down about 30 to 40 lbs but I never weigh because that will give an excuse to stray if one needs that. 4 inch >belt size if that helps, went from thinking the 38 were going to burst the button, to the 34's had a stingy seamstress. I was just thinking about eating some other foods when getting down to a maintenance level but honestly I have no desire to eat outside this list.

And yes, there are times when I can get very hungry but it is manageable with drinking something to defray that sensation. What works for me is a small glass cutting board and a serrated butcher knife, be careful chopping and curl your finger away from the blade as it can nick and cut fast. To put it gently the digestive cycles become very regular and the body will guide you in how much to eat.

1st baggie is all this and the rest is usually bagged separately, fast, fresh and easy for my world;
1. Asparagus 2. Green beans 3. Mushrooms 4. Green top onions 6. Blueberries

meats, cheeses, + eggs along with better nuts aka less carby are better fill ins. beware of any snacks as everything except pure fats cause insulin action, but of course carbs are WORSE!! i see vids + comments of people just cutting fats but in most cases the pros note fats are very essential + are the best at curbing cravings. my "breakfast" coffee with tbsp of grass fed butter + tbsp of MCT oil + i am satisfied until about noon, just remember your main goal is keeping insulin low. seen vids where fasting glucose + A1C were good but the seldom checked insulin revealed the pancreas was working OVERTIME + its said when it cant "keep up" your suddenly diabetic BUT in reality your consistently higher insulin was controlling glucose until it CANT!! lots of info on line + its up to YOU to sort it out + decide what is best four YOUR health.

thanks for the interesting link + cate shanahans vid on seed oils was great! seeing the same info + some more by people NOT promoting bad diets + poor food choices reinforces the truth. i surely believe the big food + pharma information is slowly killing us + one look around at overweight + obesity everywhere shows that to be true. i might note that body fat is just a sign of bad lifestyle choices + although rare thin people can be unhealthy as noted by the pros so we must take care of ourselves the best we can + sift thru the misinformation to get healthier!

I don’t know how folks fast that much; I’m hungry all the time. And it’s not like we eat bad. All whole foods, very little processed junk, good ratio of fat and protein, next to no wheat or other high carb stuff. I’ll go weeks without bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. Just starving all the time. Even as I sit here writing this, hungry. Want to go eat an apple or some meat or something. I just can’t do it comfortably unless I’m sick or have something else heavy on my mind (distracted?). Is it some sort of “over the hump” type of thing where you suffer until your stomach shrinks or some nervous response becomes desensitized?

Have been doing Intermittent fasting for about 2 years. I lost 50 lbs in the first 6 months. Every six months since then I have lost 3-4 pounds and now have lost 65 total. I do the 16/8 variety. In two years I have done about 10 cheat days where I don't give a frack. The important part is that your cheat days need to be widely separated so your body does not revert back to its old metabolism. The nice part is I have done this eating basically what I want. Balancing your protein and carbs seem to be the important part. Thinking about doing a month of 20/4 or 18/6? When you fast past 12 hours your natural insulin rises, the longer the better. 66 y.o. here and take no prescription meds. NONE

I lost 50 pounds on keto a few years back. I gained 60 pounds of it back.

For the past 6 months I have been back on keto for the most part. Down about 30 pounds total.

Blood work and cholesterol were way out of wack. Blood pressure is normal now, and all blood work excellent.

I still feel I need to lose about 25 pounds, I can do it.

I quit drinking beer except on social occasions. Limit sugar to almost nothing during the week.

What work best for me is repetition. Black coffee and atkins shake for breakfast every day. Lunch at 11am, tuna salad, or chicken salad with apple (i know fruit is not keto but oh well). Dinner usually grilled meat with bag of frozen veg.

I try to not snack at all, and take daily metamucil sugar free to fill me up. Gallon of water per day, and try to walk 10k steps per day. I try to lift weights a few times a week and swim.

If I stick with it I can lose 1 pound per day. Staying on track is real tough.

What also helped me tone up is getting on testosterone replacement therapy. Getting my T up to the 700's really keeps your head clear, and i have good energy through the day.

For supplements I take 2x MegaMan GNC Multi Vitamin, 1x D/Zinc vitamin, 2x super beets. Just had B and D levels checked at work for health fair, they were right in line.

Wanted to mention drinking fluids because seems if I drink anything after the supper meal I can wake up during the night with the acid-reflux effect, like I wake and cough and have a burn, so I usually drink before eating the last meal of the day.

everyone is somewhat different + weight loss is a side effect + generally NOT the main objective as stated by a pro in his vids, also noted is you need to consume more healthy fats to stay satiated longer. as the pros note the main objective is keeping insulin levels lower, fat loss is a good side effect as well as healing inside. yes hormone replacement can help many things + i have be on it for about 20 years without issue + if your doc is savy he will know you need to keep estrogen lower in check as it cancels testosterones benefits, of course overall health is the main objective. many drs mine too believe higher LDL is very bad, BUT DR Nadir Ali notes that LDL produces many good effects like better immunity + higher T thats made from cholosterol + low carb increases LDL not necessarily a bad thing in his opinion. finding a dr that knows about hormone replacement is not always easy as some dont believe its a good thing, for me like intermittent fasting it WORKS. health is wealth IMO!!

Every person and situation will be different. What works for some will not go well for others.

I was on a low carb diet for a while but the fatigue was just too much. I adapted by increasing the carbs to around 10% of my caloric intake and choosing better carbs as well. That means no sugar, junk snacks, pasta, etc. I do have a small amount of a “lower carb” granola cereal as the fiber is important. Protein eaten with carbs tends to balance things out.

As I got older I realized that 4-5 small meals a day is much better than 2-3 large meals. Since I have type 2 diabetes I have to watch my intake. Small portions and the right combinations seem to work for me. That may not be the case for others.

besides lo carb research shows that fasting is best for health because it controls insulin the major issue in almost ALL health issues!! more meals + snacks cause a rise in blood sugar EVERY time even small drinks of carby liquids. as i noted research shows that insulin control is key + better food choices + LESS intake is key. its also noted insulin is rarely checked + even a good fasting glucose of 90 + an A1C of 5 which is rare cant show how hard your pancreas is working putting out a lot of insulin to drop blood sugar. there are tests as noted by the pros for insulin production like C-reactive protein + Homa IR that can determine your insulin production. good health to all as only YOU can really get yourself healthy as most scripts are only band aids treating the symptoms, Not the actual problem that will get WORSE in time if left untreated IMO. i thought i ate decently but cutting carbs + eliminating sugar-insulin spikes along with the 2 meal in 8 hr + fasting for 16 in a bit over a year dropped my BP about 50 points as it varies a lot throughout the day WITHOUT medications!!! as i have mentioned before the pros note that type II is CURABLE + FASTING is key + depending on your overall health + other factors it takes a year or so BUT it CAN be done as shown by real people on nutritional sites, of course its not eze but anything worthwhile seldom is!!

Last edited:
yesterdays Wellness visit revealed the best ever results!! my size has been good for a long time but higher than it should BP was annoying + being 73 i thought not too bad, BUT after intermittent fasting, NO breakfast + two meals daily NO snacks or anything else that raises blood sugar + resultant insulin spike the real issue i was happy with a 128-84 BP reading, the best since my younger days when it hovered around 128-64 when donating blood. my Dr is groaning about higher LDL but cardiologist Dr Nadir Ali explains on his vids that low carb raises LDL + not necessarily a bad thing!! works for me!
Lower carb might be a good idea for me also. Or much less fruit. I'm like a fruit bat and the more fruit I eat, the more fruit I seem to want.

I'm now going to avoid nightshade vegetables to see if it improves the inflammation in my rotator cuff region. I can still eat sweet potatoes but not white potatoes. It just seems like every time I turn around I'm reaching for more fruit. I'm not overweight, I just feel like I'm addicted to fructose in a way.

But at age 70 now, I've been eating to keep a healthy elimination more than anything else. I love to have a comfortable visit to the bathroom and fruit definitely helps me stay regular. If I quit fruit I'd probably become less regular. So some fruit is probably good, like up to about 3 pieces per day.

Last edited:
Eating fruit is a killer , too much Sugar. Eating lots of small meals never lets the insulin levels drop and you feel dizzy unless you eat more food hence our diet is why we have D2 the food triangle carbs kill plus most doctors will kill you with their diabetes regime. My friend is a renowned retina surgeon and does lots of diabetes work. He told me about the low low carb and almost zero sugars diet intermittent fasting and exercise. I would trust him with my eye sight. known him since 7 th grade and he is the man !

Back