Forward collision alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've never driven one of these, but what if you tap the brake pedal slightly, not to where you're slowing down but just enough so the brake lights are on, will the car awknowledge you're braking and not do this?

Good question! The system has beeped a few times, but only slowed the car on its own twice. The first time wasn't as evasive as the second, it just beeped and wouldn't let me accelerate. The second time it took me from 45 to 20 almost immediately. I will say I was coming up on both cars pretty quickly, so I believe the system is operating as designed. I generally try not to brake if it isn't necessary and in both cases I didn't want to stop so I didn't try tapping the brake to override the system - my guess is it wouldn't do anything.

Now the adaptive cruise which is part of the system is cool. You can set it to something ridiculous like 100 MPH in bumper to bumper and it will stop the car completely and accelerate all on it's own and keep a safe distance to the car in front.

This is the second car I've had with these safety systems, the other was an E350 with blind spot and lane departure warning - the entire time I'm driving all I do is set the alarms off to the point I tune them out.

My '16 Maxima has it. My first experience was similar to yours, with a car turning in front of me. I was also taken a little aback by the ferocity of the stoppage. I will say, it seemed if I took the cruise off as soon as I saw the car was turning, the stoppage was less severe.

I also have the adaptive cruise, and don't use it in heavy freeway traffic. But in situations like two lane, hilly country where it is hard to pass, the cruise maintains the distance better than I could while watching for an opportunity to pass.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Our 2015 Malibu has it in addition to blind spot warning and lane departure system. When we got the car I was like "Whatever"
600 miles in it today. Weather sucked, rain and wind. I have to tell that it works really good. You can turn it off or adjust how close you are before the forward collision warning goes off. I love the blind spot warning in the mirror.

X2, have the same features on our 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back