Formula Shell Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a case of Formula Shell clean engine oil, 10W-30, on the back says API SL, ILSAC GF-4. On the general lube forum it was posted that if it is ILSAC GF-4 is equivalent to API M. On the bottom of the container is stamped 07-18-05. If as of November of 2004 allowed to claim API M why would Shell bottle oil as SL? This is a moot question as the vehicle I am going to use it in calls for SG oil.

I noticed that (SL and GF-4) too with the case of FormulaShell I bought in early July. My think is probably Shell made wrong forecast and still has some huge stock of SL to be depleted before introducing SM. A wilder theory is Shell is using the FormulaShell brand to clean out SL stocks for its other brands (Pennzoil, QS). SM is more stringent on additives and if you already had them in the mix, you have no choice but to continue selling the mix as SL. But by doing so, other brands could introduce SM as early as possible to compete with other companies. People seem to like rich additives so SL FormulaShell could actually be better in a sense.

As long as Shell abides by the SM switch inside that quart jug, they can continue to use remaining old jugs, labels, stamps... etc.. until they run out.

Making better use of our garbage instead of needless stockpiling more of it helps our environmental waste programs & the government encourages companies like this to do so.

If the ILSAC GF-4 designation is on the Formula Shell label, than this is probably also a SM formulation, since GF-4 limits the phosphorous to 800 ppm.

The Formula Shell API license dates run July to July, so no doubt a bottle dated 7-18-05 is the ramp down of the SL production.

API Website - Formula Shell

Yes, it's a bit of a mystery to me as to why the change from the SL to SM service grade gets dragged out over an entire year!

Maybe Shell had a butt load of SL additives to use up? I say this because its only for weights that are not the top sellers such as 10W-40 and 30 weight.

I just listed a UOA with 30wt. Formula Shell If your interested. I added 5oz. of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment to 5 quarts of oil. Results seem good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back