Formula one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marco246, I call him "Nan-Nan" becasue he's such a whiney little baby. I hope he never wins another race ... and the rate he's going, what other top team would want him?
smirk.gif

Now, I guess FIA is going to have someone in the garage with McLaren to see that Alonso is treated fairly.
blush.gif

Oh, and I don't think Louis's mistake in Shanghai was a'rookie' mistake ... simply a miscalculation any driver could have made. After screaming around the track at speeds above 150mph in the rain ... entering the pits at ~80mph probably seemed safe ... but that turn was rather sharp and it was slicker than Louis figured and off he went.

He's been under pressure before in this season ... but I've yet to see him be pressured into mistakes ... unlike Felipe Massa and even Nan-Nan himself ... though they are not rookies.

I'm rather taken aback by Louis' unbelievable performance this year ... although not as much as Peter Windsor ... and hope he wins the championship. But if not him, then Kimi. He should already have 1 or 2 championships under his belt already.

I think it was more of a team mistake than an LH mistake. They left him out there way too long on those rubbished tires.
Maybe we should also be questioning the logic of having such a sharp turn in the pit entry? It would probably br argued that the purpose is to slow the cars down but I think that the circumstances that occured in this race show that such a circuit design feature could prove dangerous.

Quote:

I think it was more of a team mistake than an LH mistake. They left him out there way too long on those rubbished tires.
Maybe we should also be questioning the logic of having such a sharp turn in the pit entry? It would probably br argued that the purpose is to slow the cars down but I think that the circumstances that occured in this race show that such a circuit design feature could prove dangerous.

Nobody else beached it
laugh.gif

True, but nobody else stayed out that long on tires that were in that bad of shape either although Kimi's tires, especially the left front, was in pretty bad shape. It was still a LH mistake with some of the blame going on the team. I mean, did they not actually look at his tires when he went by the previous lap? At the end of the day, he is tasked with driving whatever the team gives him. He can come in earlier if he thinks he needs to. Safety is one area that a driver can park a car without retribution.

Unless you "park it" in the gravel...

Any bets that trap will be paved next year???

Last edited:
Yeah, gravel is rapidly being replaced by paved run-offs.

Many pit entrances in F1 have a horrible design. It's like the pit entrance is the great afterthought no one worries about when designing the track layout as a whole. I can imainge they are about to finish the track & someone pipes up & says but where is the pit? Oh, we'll just put that anywhere b/c it doesn't really matter. Now be quiet, we are working on the track.

No matter what the track problems are they are the same for everyone. Alonso is doing well for a driver in the second car on the team. And these races have nothing to do with sport. It's a business and this last race is going to be three drivers getting down to business. Remember the great Michael won his first championship in the last race. Damon Hill was one point behind Michael and Michael could not pass him late in the race so he just ran into him and won the title. It was a business decision, nothing to do with sport.

Good point - sly moves i.e. politics, is the epitome of F1 racing. Not such thing as bad publicity.

Not sure that I agree with the 2nd car comment from Lonnie though. Why do you say that? There's much that goes on that I don't know about. I understand the higher than normal tire pressure blamed on a tire warmer, but you imply all season long.

Re, second comment: The first MS WDC at Adelaide was just as sly as his nearly winning a third WDC in 97 in Jerez...

People make a big deal about Alonso waiting in the pits during qualifying and holding up the LH, but Michael did it with class. He parked sideways in a spot that bocked Alonso's qualifying lap. Just don't confuse F1 with sport.

and MS was put at the back of the grid for that Monaco race

just don't confuse the ruling of FIA stewards with logic and unbiased judgement

sport: any athletic activity that uses physical skills, often competitive

Well, in spite of the politics, etc ... I think today's race was pretty amazing. I was rooting for Louis ... but he muffed up pretty well and I was glad to see Kimi able to take the championship ... with help from Felipe of course.

You can be down on F1, but it does (eventually) come down to brave drivers getting into these incredibly twitchy cars and driving them, to their limit again and again and again.

Kimi finally got the championship he should have had in 2004 and 2005.

It was also nice to see Alonso be a gracious loser. I lost all respect for him this year ... but He gained a little of that back today. Same for Felipe. He did the right thing. in blocking Louis at the start and going along with a pit strategy that gave the lead to Kimi ... albeit, barely.

Can't wait for '08!
grin.gif

Whew! What a year! I'm glad it's over! All of the spying/whining/etc. Next season should be great! Let's see if McLaren's reliability holds up, Lewis bounces back, Alonso with Renault, Ross Braun back with Ferrari! Interesting...too bad no Indy in 2008.

Crazy ending or is it? Ron Dennis is appealing the Stewarts decision not to penalize BMW and Williams for fuel temp. infractions. Hasn't Dennis had enough of the FIA? Hats off to Ferrari for never giving up. McLaren's lucky that they even had a shot at the driver's title. This chase was way better than what NASCAR is going though right now. Can't wait till next year!

Quote:

People make a big deal about Alonso waiting in the pits during qualifying and holding up the LH, but Michael did it with class. He parked sideways in a spot that bocked Alonso's qualifying lap. Just don't confuse F1 with sport.

And Micheal paid dearly for it. Helped Alonso with that years title.

Hamilton could have won this one and I suspect he had a hand in the cars issues but shaking it up pretty good trying to pass Alonso when it was totally unnecessary for the title. That looked like rookie angst. Love the guy but he had a bad day.

I was also thinking about how much intrigue there would have been if it was Alonso that had the car problem instead of Hamilton. Many would have cried foul.

Last edited:
I am going to say who cares? The latest Renault cheating scandal is just turning the business into a laughing stock.

What an incestuous family the british engineers are proving to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back