Forgot to oil gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question, but over the weekend I changed the oil in my van, I was sort of multi-tasking at the time, and forgot to put oil on the filter gasket. Ya think it will leak or anything, or just take a wait-and-see approach?
Thanks.

I have to think a good share of oil filters get installed with no oil on the gasket.

Wait and see. It might (or might not) be a bit harder to take off next time.

Look at the bright side, in the unlikely event that it does leak a bit, there will be oil on the gasket surface and you will be able to retighten it with oil on the gasket
grin.gif

Labman's suggestion is a good one if you want to be on the safe side.

I'm with XS650 here. My buddy hasn't lubed a gasket in decades (in his shop). He feels that there's plenty of oil on the mounting area already from the filter removal. Even if it's not covering it 100% on the take off, the rotation of the new filter will apply some full circle. He's never had a comeback in his lifetime. Now if you're of the "wipe it off" persuasion ..unless you've used something like brake clean or TB cleaner ..I still think a film will be there.

XS650- always look on the brightside - good advice
grin.gif

I've done it before and its usually ok although it can be a little more difficult to remove. Should be no problem though.

The main reason for lubing the rubber gasket is to reduce the risk of tearing it, which leads to leaking. If it's not leaking now, I would leave it. Like someone already said, there usually is enough oil on the base mount to lube it.

Before BITOG, I never knew you were supposed to lube the gasket on the filter. I do now, but didn't seem to harm anything by skipping it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I wouldn't worry if you forgot to oil the gasket.
Just make sure that the gasket doesn't 'stick' to the engine when you remove the oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back