Ford V10motor locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at the report. It says at the bottom. "Lack of oil damaged engine-preliminary diagnosis shoed the engine to be locked up due to poor maintance. Ford motor approved a teardown at their expencen as a goodwill gesture. inspection showed #3 and 4 rod bearings welded to crankshaft. Reinstall all parts."

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is a teardown considered to be dropping the pan and looking at the crankshaft?
2. Now #3 and#4 bearings? They told me and the BBB that is was #2 and#7. the day I went to get the oil sample they confirmed it was 2 and 7.
3. Now lack of oil...what happened to dirty oil? Lack of oil has never been mentioned. Also on the day I went for the sample I was told that it was full of oil and the oil that was drained out looked "pretty clean"

Now what?

The oil was checked and it was full on the dipstick. An oil analysis was done and confirmed that the oil was still in decent shape.

Why did they dispose of the oil when it is to be used as evidence? How does a crankshaft weld to bearing with oil in the sump? How can a motor seize with under 30,000 miles, be taken to the dealer to find out what is wrong and be called a "goodwill gesture" to tear into a motor that seizes when its under warranty! How the heck are they gonna confirm that their friggin product isn't defective without tearing into it? What a joke!

They do not know what they are doing Cathy!

Its also easier for them to use "lack of oil" as a general term for broad interpretation. It could mean lack of oil to a specific part that caused failure. You are not to interpret lack of oil to mean LOW OIL in the sump. You are instead focusing on a part in general that was oil starved and caused failure. Now you need specifics from them on this oil starved part. There was plenty of oil in the sump.

[ August 31, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:

Now what?

Unfortunately, it's lawyer time. At this stage just showing up with a lawyer may stir them to action. Even more unfortunately, they can drag this out so you spend more on your lawyer than you would to get the engine rebuilt yourself.

Do you have any consumer activists on the local radio or TV stations? They can wield a fair amount of clout because businesses don't like bad publicity.

Thanks Amakeer! My sentiments exactly! I have copies that were forwarded to me from the BBB and the consumer Protection Agency which completely contradict this OASIS report. I will fax this to my lawyer.

Also the warranty start date on this is still wrong. Wilson't RV in Hot springs was suppose to have straightend this out a month ago. this document states the warranty start date is 11/21/01. We didn't even by the RV until 6/18/02. The build date says 11/13/01.

The tear down is all we wanted them to do. Had they done that and found evidence that it was dirty oil, we would have shut up and just fixed it. It was their avoidance to do this that really made us suspicious of what was going on. Of course the dearlership told me that all Ford authorized was them to drop the pan. that is not what this says. I do know that the Ford engineer never returned to even check to see if this one done or look at my RV. He made that one trip...sniffed my oil...and that was it! Fred Myrick, the Ford Customer Relations Rep. stated to my motocross friend that works for Ford and tried to help me out and also my father that I made him mad so he closed the subject! So I guess after he told me that he was not a "technical person" but would be glad to "eyeball my filter" that I was suppose to be totally comfortable with that and just write him a check for the $9000 they said it would cost to fix my RV. Incidently, I have checked and this is the highest quote that ANYONE, ANYWHERE has ever received! Do you have any idea how many months a school teacher in Arkansas has to work to make $9000. Hint...our pay is ranked 46th in the nation...and we have moved up from 49th! (those were the headlines in the paper a few months back. Like we should be excited about being ranked 46th!)

Again...thanks for all your help! I will let you know something when I know something!

I'm with Amkeer and XS650. They are trying to "scare" you, but you will not be intimidated!

Get all your facts in a row, if you can avoid the $ for a lawyer do so (I have zero love for lawyers, because they get paid first and believe me they could give a rip about your hide).

I hate to tell you to approach Ford corporate without a lawyer, but there may be a way. I wouldn't be afraid to tell them what you know, because if it does go to court you'll need to choke all the stuff up before you can use it as "evidence" anyway.

Let's see:

1) You know the crankcase was full? You saw the dip stick, who else? The oil pan drained a "full" amount? Was this written, or something?

2) Oil analysis? You have a hard copy now? Have you consulted Terry? You have the dealers comments in writing?

3) I would be searching for this Oasis, like now!

4) Where is the engine now? Shouldn't be too hard to spot the seizures? Take the "joint" apart and see the bearing surfaces.

quote:

Also the warranty start date on this is still wrong. Wilson't RV in Hot springs was suppose to have straightened this out a month ago. this document states the warranty start date is 11/21/01. We didn't even by the RV until 6/18/02. The build date says 11/13/01.

I went round and round with the selling GMC dealer on my 2001 truck. When I purchased it they told me it was new truck driven by the company president and the warranty started when I told delivery of it no matter the miles (had less than 2000). Well jump ahead 3 yrs and I have some work done that according to my records falls in the 3 yr window but when the GMC dealer servicing pulled up the vehicle in the system it showed the warranty had been in effect for 2 months prior and start at 11 miles. Someone in the original selling dealer screwed up and logged the truck in-service when the owner started to drive it, which turned out the be near the time the dealer got the new 2001 models. Argue as I would, the dealer and GMC would not change the in-service date. Lucky for me the cost of the repair turned out to be less than $100.

Another thing about warranty's and RV's, if the selling dealer is not an authorized dealer of the MH, the records may actually show him as the first owner and the warranty may start when he bought it even though he was going to resell it. It all depends on how the sale was handled. Dealers often sell off old inventory and dealer come from other states to buy. I just met a guy at the Yamaha dealer who thought he purchased a new 2003 snowmobile. He got in in the spring of 2003 and they told him it was a brand new model that was left over. Turns out to be a brand new 2002 model. So the salesman and the low price sucked him in. What he thought was a yr old machine is really 2 yrs old and wort a lot less as trade-in.

[ September 01, 2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Now that this case is in the "system", since it's a civil case, it's likely to grind very slowly. For one thing, Ford's not going to be in any hurry to resolve the matter either way. Why should they be? The longer it goes, the greater the fog over who said what and the relevance of the evidence.* Throwing up repeated challenges during discovery costs the company nothing. (They're paying their legal staff anyway, so they might as well get their money's worth...) Meanwhile the Covingtons are obligated to keep right on making their lease or loan payments but without the use of their RV. Do the math over who's really under the gun, here. Dirty pool? Yep. Illegal? Nope.

*Who knows where the service advisor who told the Covingtons their claim is denied will be in one or two years? Ditto the Ford rep who talked to the Covingtons. Witnesses who can't be located obviously can't testify. Word of mouth of what missing witnesses are reputed to have said is inadmissable in court. The "system" works and lawyers are paid to know how to work the "system". Just ask Kobe Bryant and O.J. Simpson.
wink.gif

[ September 14, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Yep, Amkeer, I agree that the Covingtons may well be in breach of warranty by not doing a timely oil change on an engine in a vehicle being used under severe service conditions. But, we'll really just have to wait and see what the judge's instructions on law to the jury are and what the jury's deliberations come to, huh? (providing the judge doesn't summarily toss the case for lack of evidence) We can armchair quarterback this case until the cows come home, but in the end, our opinions (and even those of the lawyers) don't count for stinky squat.
wink.gif

[ September 15, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Get used to the idea you're not apt to hear a lot anymore. The Covingtons may have been advised by their lawyer to clam up lest they relate something (else?) on the net that Ford could use against them in court. While we may be intensely interested and feel we have the Covingtons' best interests at heart, ultimately the particulars of this case are really none of our business.

cathy - ford has a tendency to use small oils holes with very low flow rates for lubrication. i don't know squat about that v10 engine, but i can certainly think of some other examples. try to find something or someone, somewhere, who will give you some information on the oil flow through the areas in question (pistons, bearings, etc...)

of course, if the oil had gone "bad," then the oil holes might have been plugged, but that's something else to check.

g'luck

Thanks! We are still waiting. We are not sure what to do. I ahve been warned that if I let anyone other than a Ford Certified Mechanic work on my RV that Ford will also use that against me...if we try to have it fixed and then get reinbursed. All I know, is if we don't figure out what to do soon, my daughter's racing career that she has poured 8 yeas of her life into, may be over. We can't continue to amke this apyment and stay in a motel! I'm not going to ever give up with Ford...no matter what! It is the principal of the matter....that a huge coporation like this will try everything possible to rip off regulare everyday hardworking people.

We have found someone that will work on our motorhome, but they are not a certified Ford mechanic. We desparately need to get this thing back on the road. We were thinking we would get it fixed, but still go after Ford. What are your thoughts?????? There is not a Ford dealership anywhere in the state but this one that will work on RVs. I have been told if I let anyone but a Ford certified mechanic work on it that they will use that against me too. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place!
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cathy Covington:

We were thinking we would get it fixed, but still go after Ford. What are your thoughts?????? There is not a Ford dealership anywhere in the state but this one that will work on RVs. I have been told if I let anyone but a Ford certified mechanic work on it that they will use that against me too. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place!
confused.gif

What does your Attorney say about that ?

Is this person ASE certified in any area ?

Could the engine be pulled and worked on by a Ford mechanic and then reinstalled in the RV someplace else? If they say lack of oil cause the problem, that could mean oil starvation and not lack of oil level - correct? Could the oil pump have went out to cause this? I understand that you need it fixed, but this will also destroy the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back