Ford Transit 3.7

My FIL wants a van for tools and hauling supplies for rental properties. We usually buy GM products but there seems to be some 5yo Transits locally and the GMs are 10-15yo and rust is setting in on them.

Any issues with the 3.7 or 250 Transits?

I have a 3.7L in my 2018 work van. Great engine and hauls butt! Averages about 16mpg though... I'm surprised at the power though, really nice and smooth.

I’ve had 2 as company vans-a 2015 & a 2018. First one lost the torque converter around 75K, was a bear to get replaced because of the subframe/large K-member/cradle that goes under the transmission, 3 months down at the dealer. The ‘18 burned oil from day one, and also had persistent coolant leaks-Ford dealers DIDN’T CARE. The combination of crap Ford engineering, thieving stealerships, & lack of a full frame means NO WAY I would own one. I made 120K on the ‘15, 118K on the ‘18, 90K on the (3.5/10R80) in my sig. RUN AWAY, DON’T WALK… Any rusty GM one would be better-even an Econoline would be better with the 4R100 or 5R110/W.

Last edited:
I have a 3.7L in my 2018 work van. Great engine and hauls butt! Averages about 16mpg though... I'm surprised at the power though, really nice and smooth.
Amazingly the 3.5 one I have now is actually quicker than the 3.7 ones I had. One of the van’s few saving graces, along with a fairly comfortable driving position/experience.

Amazingly the 3.5 one I have now is actually quicker than the 3.7 ones I had. One of the van’s few saving graces, along with a fairly comfortable driving position/experience.
Aren't the 3.5's the twin turbo unit? Should spank the NA 3.7 pretty handily.

Let's get some details straight ...

The cyclone engine series has a lot of variants.
Displacement in n/a form ... 3.3L, 3.5L, 3.7L (the 3.5L and 3.7L in transverse and longitudinal; the 3.3L in longitudinal only AFAIK)
Displacement in EB from ... 3.5L (both transverse and longitudinal applications)

In the case of the Transit, the 3.7L is n/a only and longitudinal.

The Cyclone engine series in n/a form is very reliable and long-lived in general. Whereas there will always be an example of poor quality, the overall nature of the Cyclone in n/a, longitudinal applications are very reliable. Even in transverse form, the water pump is the only real PITB.

These n/a engines run very clean; they don't generate a lot of soot/sludge to deal with. They wear very well; low wear metal rates. They also are reasonably fuel efficient for their size and application.

Aren't the 3.5's the twin turbo unit? Should spank the NA 3.7 pretty handily.
We are talking 3.5, and 3.7 Duratech motors. Not the twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboost.

Glad to hear some of the 3.7s are getting 600K on them. I just bought a 2012 F150 with the 3.7. It has 207,000 on it. I will be doing all the fluids on it.

We are talking 3.5, and 3.7 Duratech motors. Not the twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboost.

Glad to hear some of the 3.7s are getting 600K on them. I just bought a 2012 F150 with the 3.7. It has 207,000 on it. I will be doing all the fluids on it.
For some reason I was thinking the 3.5 was only the EB now in the transists.. My mistake.

It must have taken 4 transit van bodies and one motor to run 600k miles. The Transit is the biggest turd ever from a reliability and durability standpoint. I'd almost want a Sprinter first....almost. Chevy Express and Econoline are WAY better in those areas.

I have driven the 3.7 transit a few times and really liked it. Smooth and shifted at almost 7k rpms was pretty cool.

Back