ford-teases-a-new-cable-capable-of-charging-evs-in-5-minutes

I can forsee in 20 years homeless camp would also have charging station, and homeless will charge their "home" about twice a day.
Or remove all the metal and copper from the charging stations to sell at the recycle center.

with enough voltage everything is possible.
imagine this happening during charge :ROFLMAO: batt-cells be like popcorn.

Maybe this will become the EV "instant charge" technology. :D

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Doubt it. Do you see homeless campers or anyone try to pry open gas station to pump gas out of underground tank?
People man gas stations 24/7. People don't man EV charging stations 24/7.

You don't need anything like that. I have a 240 Volt, 40 Amp service and my Tesla usually charges after typical use in 30 - 90 minutes. Why would anyone need anything at home faster than "overnight"?
I don't "need" faster for my Prius Prime but I do like it. I only have 26 miles on electric. My kids' school is 15 miles round-trip. I can run a kid there for track practice, come home, charge, then return to the school two hours later for pickup and make both trips without burning gas.

I crunched the numbers, 2.8 cents per mile on electricity, double that on gas.

Car came with a stupid 120V, 12A EVSE but it's a known hack that the same "guts" work on 240 overseas. So I made up a little adapter to a NEMA 6-20 and it charges at 11 mphs on 240/16 vs 3.5 mph on 120. This is hardly a huge load on the grid but gets my car charged up in 2:40 vs 6+ hours.

I don't "need" faster for my Prius Prime but I do like it. I only have 26 miles on electric. My kids' school is 15 miles round-trip. I can run a kid there for track practice, come home, charge, then return to the school two hours later for pickup and make both trips without burning gas.

I crunched the numbers, 2.8 cents per mile on electricity, double that on gas.

Car came with a stupid 120V, 12A EVSE but it's a known hack that the same "guts" work on 240 overseas. So I made up a little adapter to a NEMA 6-20 and it charges at 11 mphs on 240/16 vs 3.5 mph on 120. This is hardly a huge load on the grid but gets my car charged up in 2:40 vs 6+ hours.
Agreed. 240 Volts at 40 Amps is a lot better. Power = Current (Amps) X Voltage (Volts) or [Voltage squared divided by Resistance].

My SIL has now installed a 240 Volt outlet. That will be better than the 120 Volt outlet they've been using.

For local use I simply never do and never will use more than an overnight charge using my 240 Volts 40 Amp outlet. My Tesla cuts the 40 Amps back to 35 Amps. That's just like an electric range or electric clothes dryer. Nothing unusual needed here folks.

Not around here. They don't always man the station, just turn off the pump at night.
Where I live (and where there's a lot of homeless camps) service stations are open 24/7 and manned at all times. Regardless, EV charging stations aren't manned no matter where they are ... so open to vandalize and theft - that was my main point.

You would get three phase power. Rectified single phase is such lousy dc power that it would have other negative ramifications at those power levels.
So the power company will dig the existing buried cable and replace it with (larger) 3 phase? At least here in South Carolina is it the rare residential property close enough to a 3 phase line to get a drop. GREAT idea, but it won't be easy to implement.

So the power company will dig the existing buried cable and replace it with (larger) 3 phase? At least here in South Carolina is it the rare residential property close enough to a 3 phase line to get a drop. GREAT idea, but it won't be easy to implement.
The average customer won’t be charging at these rates.

I'll say it again. You don't need 600 Amps or 400 Amps or a 3 phase connection to charge an EV. To have a practical Level 2 charger at your home you need a 240 Volt 40 Amp outlet. That's similar to the requirements for an electric range. And that's all anyone with a reasonable commute needs.

If your commute can't be completed by a Tesla charging overnight at a 240 Volt 40 Amp plug in, you have bigger problems than your electrical system.

try to explain that to these people.
btw, 2/3 people in europe are living this way...

panelaky1048-x-792.jpg

Agreed. Hard to charge at home if you have no designated parking space.

But my impression is that most drivers in North America have at least a designated parking space. And on the Canadian prairies almost every personal or business parking space already has a 110-120 Volt plug-in for a block heater (how else could you reliably start a car when it's -20 or -40)?

There is a cost to install a 240 Volt service (and it wouldn't be so easy to install at a condo). Installing my 240 Volt service cost $500. That cost amortized over many decades of use is low considering the savings on gasoline. One full tank of gasoline for my BMW cost over $100 (yielding 700 Km on the highway, 400 Km in the city, or approximately 30 tanks in a typical year).

So it's not possible for everyone in Canada and the US to install a 240 Volt service but quite feasible for most.

It's not up to me to convince anyone to buy an EV. But I am trying to correct some of the misinformation I've been seeing.

Maybe if it’s your only car and you take long road trips frequently or have to drive for a living. For the average person who works 5 days a week and lives within a reasonable distance to their place of employment, it’s a total non-issue. Charge it when you get home, leave with a full battery every day.

That makes EV’s sound like toys for the well off.

try to explain that to these people.
btw, 2/3 people in europe are living this way...

panelaky1048-x-792.jpg
How many of people own cars there? I mean, if 2/3's live like this, but only 1/3 own a car, then isn't the problem a lot smaller?

No perfect solution, but I'm not sure that every apartment needs a charger.

That makes EV’s sound like toys for the well off.
At one point wasn't ICE in the category?

with enough voltage everything is possible.
imagine this happening during charge :ROFLMAO: batt-cells be like popcorn.

See, if electric cars sounded like a hovercraft from the matrix I’d be on board with them.
I'll say it again. You don't need 600 Amps or 400 Amps or a 3 phase connection to charge an EV. To have a practical Level 2 charger at your home you need a 240 Volt 40 Amp outlet. That's similar to the requirements for an electric range. And that's all anyone with a reasonable commute needs.

If your commute can't be completed by a Tesla charging overnight at a 240 Volt 40 Amp plug in, you have bigger problems than your electrical system.
you guys seem to be openly admitting that EV’s are entirely inconvenient for travel beyond a normal commute. Not great for anyone who can’t afford a second car or who has needs beyond that of a typical urban EV consumer.

How many of people own cars there? I mean, if 2/3's live like this, but only 1/3 own a car, then isn't the problem a lot smaller?

No perfect solution, but I'm not sure that every apartment needs a charger.

At one point wasn't ICE in the category?

No one mandated an abrupt conversion to ICE either. No surprise wealthy urban folks don’t understand the hesitancy of dissimilar folks.

For the last 70-80 years we’ve created a society entirely dependent on car travel. As a result people MUST make decisions based on not only the most common use cases (commutes), but also unforeseen or uncommon cases (emergency travel, vacations, Yellowstone anyone?etc ) An EV simply doesn’t do all of that efficiently.

Abruptly mandating conversions makes these changes far more painful to folks with less. It’s easy to have an EV plaything when you can afford to have 3 other cars. Not so much when you only have a single parking space or only want a single vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJH
No one mandated conversion to ICE either. No surprise wealthy urban folks don’t understand the hesitancy of dissimilar folks.
True. But various things get mandated for our own good all the same.

True. But various things get mandated for our own good all the same.

This is not one of those plans, in fact, there really isn't a plan. The power generation and distribution side of things isn't even remotely near sorted and transportation is just the low hanging fruit, heating is another big issue, and is in fact one of the largest consumers of fossil energy in Canada for example, mostly natural gas.

Back