ford-teases-a-new-cable-capable-of-charging-evs-in-5-minutes

More like as EVs become more widespread, folks will expect same fill times as they have become accustomed to with conventional fuels.
Just being real here.
To expect otherwise is, well, unrealistic.
That’s why Ford is spending $$$ with Purdue to develop this charging cable. Which is not for home charging unless you are a billionaire. We don’t each have a gas station at home either unless you are a billionaire.
Home charging on level 2 overnight is about as easy as it gets for most people. Just plug it in and go inside. It’s the not at home charging that they are working on.

That's not how it works.
I spend far less time fueling the Model 3 (virtually zero) than the ICE vehicles. Plug in at home and start every day with a full tank. Not to mention solar panels...
Compare that to finding the station with the cheapest gas, going in, filling and going home. Freakin' $5 per gallon!

Not even close. Once you get used to the EV fueling, gas stations are a pain. An expensive pain.
Jeff - Your'e not the average consumer

Jeff - Your'e not the average consumer
I guess what I am saying is, people expect (want?) EVs to be like the cars they know. They are different.
They are not for everyone; if I couldn't charge at home I would not have one.
Some people can't hang with the charging, at least vs ICE. Regarding Teslas, many don't like the interior, or the tablet.

I used to have range anxiety; after we got the Model 3. we drove around checking out local charging locations. Yes, Silicon Valley is kinda unique, but they were all over the place. Ultimately, I found out I didn't need public chargers at all.
Full disclosure, we have ICE cars as well (love my old Tundra) as does every EV owner I know.
All good.

And if charging at home, assuming you want full speed charging, would you need 400 amp or 600 amp service?
You don't need anything like that. I have a 240 Volt, 40 Amp service and my Tesla usually charges after typical use in 30 - 90 minutes. Why would anyone need anything at home faster than "overnight"?

My daughter charges her Leaf using a regular 110 Volt outlet (whenever she remembers). That's been working well enough too.

There is a misconception around how long it takes to fully charge an EV's battery. Most people hardly ever fully charge their EV. Getting it up to 80% is best for a long battery life and all I ever do. I actually have the charger set to cut off at 80%.

What I've noticed is that people who don't own an EV are very worried about where to charge, and how long charging will take. People who own an EV aren't.

Must be a lesson there somewhere.
Yeah, I learned my lesson. Truth be told, I bought the Tesla more for my wife. I kinda considered it a toy, to some extent.
But it was not what I thought.
You might be surprised, prospective employees ask during interviews if the company offers charging. I have talked to a few owners who only charge at work; they never charge at home! I'm not sure I believe they NEVER do, but just the same.
Condo and Townhouse complexes are starting to add charging stations due to demand. I know of someone who owns a couple of small condo complexes in the SF area (big bucks!); he is evaluating quotes right now. He believes this will increase the property values. As if SF needs any more price increases...

I'm sure you will see more of this across the country. For so much of people's daily driving needs, a Tesla Model 3/Y makes so much sense.
I will buy another. There is no other vehicle I am interested in at all.

He sounds just like me.
In nearly all ways, a Tesla model 3 performance would work for me too. I really like the fact that with some addl solar panels, I could effectively not pay for home charging.

Except for my rushed highway trips.... It has nothing to do with range anxiety, it's the time that I can't deal with. Tomorrow PBI-JAX-PBI. That would take 4 charges, each about 30 mins. Adding 2 hours to a 600 mile day is intolerable. A round trip that I can do in my 2018 F150 without stopping for fuel at any point. And I can do it at speeds that are far above a Tesla's. But I pay for gas, and it's costing me an absolute fortune lately. That trip will be $110. Do trips like that a couple times per week, along with the regular $400, 1350 mile run up the coast, and the wallet gets empty fast.

Tesla is talking about "megachargers". I can imagine hearing the generator winding's groan when those things get plugged in. Most people doh't know that a typical natural gas combined cycle power plant is only 850mw. One does not have to do the math to understand just how much power a megacharger draws, and how few of them can be powered right now.

Also, a megacharger could charge 300 miles in 5 minutes.

More like as EVs become more widespread, folks will expect same fill times as they have become accustomed to with conventional fuels.
Just being real here.
To expect otherwise is, well, unrealistic.
Maybe if it’s your only car and you take long road trips frequently or have to drive for a living. For the average person who works 5 days a week and lives within a reasonable distance to their place of employment, it’s a total non-issue. Charge it when you get home, leave with a full battery every day.

@Cujet please do not speak of Model 3 Performance... I have spent waaaaay to much on cars already and that little rocket is just too tempting. And it really won't do anything much more than our '18 Mid Range; it will just do it faaaaster!

That's my next car. Just gotta let things settle down and finish up a couple things...

@Cujet please do not speak of Model 3 Performance... I have spent waaaaay to much on cars already and that little rocket is just too tempting. And it really won't do anything much more than our '18 Mid Range; it will just do it faaaaster!

That's my next car. Just gotta let things settle down and finish up a couple things...
Life is short, you might as well enjoy it and go get that Model 3 Performance 😉

See, that's the problem. It's about as perfect a performance car as there ever was. Like you, I kind of think I need one. Maybe I'll retire and won't have a need for so much travel.

All you need is a massive turbine able to supply the juice on the other end of the cable, lol.

Coming soon to a nuke near you, direct-couple turbine to EV cables!
How about a mini reactor on a tow truck? Just zap an EV and it will be good to go again.

Kidding aside, the only "practical" fast charging IMO is swapping. There is a reason every highrise has a water tower, and a small-town also has one, because running a pump is inefficient if they vary their load to follow the need.

EV battery swap if done right (DIY at home, and swap in a station on road trip) can be great and can be the best way to use all those spotty renewable energies from wind and solar, and can completely flatten the duck curve.

How fast can you load and unload a case of 4-gallon water? That's how fast a "designed right" EV battery swap can be done by DIY.

Last edited:
Yeah, I learned my lesson. Truth be told, I bought the Tesla more for my wife. I kinda considered it a toy, to some extent.
But it was not what I thought.
You might be surprised, prospective employees ask during interviews if the company offers charging. I have talked to a few owners who only charge at work; they never charge at home! I'm not sure I believe they NEVER do, but just the same.
Condo and Townhouse complexes are starting to add charging stations due to demand. I know of someone who owns a couple of small condo complexes in the SF area (big bucks!); he is evaluating quotes right now. He believes this will increase the property values. As if SF needs any more price increases...

I'm sure you will see more of this across the country. For so much of people's daily driving needs, a Tesla Model 3/Y makes so much sense.
I will buy another. There is no other vehicle I am interested in at all.

I can forsee in 20 years homeless camp would also have charging station, and homeless will charge their "home" about twice a day.

If that cable actually goes into production, Elon will have to create another (more expesive) charging tier!
He has more tricks up his sleeve I'm sure.:sneaky:

How about a mini reactor on a tow truck? Just zap an EV and it will be good to go again.

Kidding aside, the only "practical" fast charging IMO is swapping. There is a reason every highrise has a water tower, and a small-town also has one, because running a pump is inefficient if they vary their load to follow the need.

EV battery swap if done right (DIY at home, and swap in a station on road trip) can be great and can be the best way to use all those spotty renewable energies from wind and solar, and can completely flatten the duck curve.

How fast can you load and unload a case of 4-gallon water? That's how fast a "designed right" EV battery swap can be done by DIY.
I think that what you describe is the future of long haul trucking. The trucking company will own the power unit but lease or rent the battery. There will be fast battery replacement facilities here and there along major routes. The driver calls or e-mails ahead, arranging the time of arrival, and while the driver is having a meal or a shower, his mostly/partly discharged battery is swapped out and a fully charged battery unit is swapped in.

In a half hour the driver and the power unit are good to go for another 5 or 6 hours. The trucking company would pay for lease or rent of the battery, cost to recharge the battery, and the cost of the swap procedure - which should be less than the cost of conventional fuel.

The battery leasing company would provide the batteries and facilities at appropriate intervals to swap and recharge batteries. And they would run a side business or lease space for someone else to provide meals and showers. There would be competition between battery suppliers for cost, speedy and competent handling of the battery swap, cleanliness of facilities, and the quality of the cooking.

Truckers could follow any route supported by their battery leasing/battery swapping company.

I have no difficulty conceptualizing how the battery swap would work. The swap would be done from underneath or from one side (but once it's decided which way, they'll all be done the same). Power units would vary but their batteries would be a standard size and shape (in 1, 2 or even 3 different sizes).

Back