Ford Says Electric F-150 Will Start Under $40,000. It Can Also Power Your Home

Ford may have an MSRP of $40k, but the dealer will rip everyone off and price at $60k
Do you think so? I'm on the fence: in demand models they can do that, but has demand for an EV truck really been shown to exist? IMO Ford might have to put their foot down and prohibit overcharging ? [not sure they can do that, laws and whatnot, but let's ignore that for a moment.] Last thing the motor company wants is the public to think these trucks are overpriced--and not selling. IMO it's better to sell at cost, get sales going, get the public happy to buy, then price for profit later. [Only the dealerships lose out on that, and I'm not sure anyone would shed a tear about that.] Maybe only build a limited number at first, that way they can limit losses, and raise prices later.

$40K before any options... My guess is, good luck finding one near that price.
I think Ford does not want to see dealer markups, but I believe some dealers are doing this with the Mach-E.

Do you think so? I'm on the fence: in demand models they can do that, but has demand for an EV truck really been shown to exist? IMO Ford might have to put their foot down and prohibit overcharging ? [not sure they can do that, laws and whatnot, but let's ignore that for a moment.] Last thing the motor company wants is the public to think these trucks are overpriced--and not selling. IMO it's better to sell at cost, get sales going, get the public happy to buy, then price for profit later. [Only the dealerships lose out on that, and I'm not sure anyone would shed a tear about that.] Maybe only build a limited number at first, that way they can limit losses, and raise prices later.
It’s happening with the Mach-E, Corvette, and the Hellcat models.

I like it. I have 3 F150's and I'd be very interested. Although, truth be told, I use the F150's for cross country highway trips because they are so darned comfortable! It also helps that I can go over 650 miles per tank. So I'd have to use the EV F150 for local trips.

From what I'm reading, expect no less than 500 watt hours per mile at 80mph. Also expect more than 1KWH per mile while towing a 5000 pound trailer. Note, a Model X towing 5000 pounds consumes 1.8kwh per mile while going uphill and about 900+ at 70.

If the larger battery turns out to be 120kwh, that equals:
240 highway miles
less than 120 towing miles

Always remember to subtract 20 miles as a reasonable cushion to locate a charger.
Also note that towing = about 1% battery per mile.

Last edited:
Initially I figured dealers wouldn't carry any $40K msrp configurations. A year from now, who knows. Ford did announce production will be limited. My guess is they price significantly higher.

Ffff
Impressive truck, I think they just need a diesel generator option for guys who need to drive far, or are out in the country where there's no charging station ever to be found. I presume its easier to make a diesel emissions compliant when its only got to run at one speed and at most efficient loading.
yep a hybrid BEV ALA Rex style

A small diesel that could chug the BEV truck around town with a full box of payload would get good city MPGs and be a nice upsell as emergency power and for range extension into areas without infastructure.

For those who have forgotten Ford has been teasing a modular plug in F150 for almost a decade and a previous leak years ago showed they had a small removable toolbox shaped option designed and patent filed that was actually a generator

Edit: Ford did a brilliant job with their f-150 Lightning marketing ads. They are really hammering it in how useful an EV truck is for doing hard labor work. It's being advertised more like a cordless power drill that can smash through anything like Chuck Norris. This is 100% the right thing to do to market an EV truck in the USA. No hint of Bay Area soy-nerds behind this at all, which can be a major turn off for many potential truck buyers.

--------------------------

I love how literally every time a new EV truck is announced/teased every Joe Beerbelly suddenly remembers he uses his truck to haul a T-Rex over the Rocky Mountains every day of the week, and could never be forced into the horror of having to wait at a charging station. You know, the alternate reality that most dudes use their trucks like others use a Honda Civic for commuting 10-30 miles a day to a job that doesn't require a truck. :ROFLMAO:

I have several bass-fishing buddies who each have never once ever driven out of state (usually fly) in the last 10 years. You can go most anywhere in our state with 200+ miles of range if starting near the center. They both spend at least 20 minutes each time we go out fishing when a new EV truck is in the news, complaining about how stupid it is that you have to wait a few minutes to recharge when on a road trip. LOL

Now, there are plenty of guys who do use their trucks for actual work and have to drive long distances without stops, but you really kind of have to eye-roll the rest of the blokes who think they belong to a category they actually don't belong to.
I've said it before but it bears repeating. 99.99% of commutes are well within the range of this truck, towing or not. That said, yeah, it's not for everyone. But the majority of trucks are just glorified "Home Depot on the weekend " commuters. For the few that are hauling a "10,000 lb camper over the mountains", it's probably not for you or maybe you rent for those times. But I am sure we will get the usual luddites here tell us an electric truck is folly. And don't forget.....batteries are improving....

ill definitely be watching this. I think we could do it as most of our camping trips are within 3-4 hours. It’d require a midway stop for certain, and maybe 2. The trip out would be fine. Return trips would be an irritant. But by the time we’d be in the market, all this may be worked out. My 18 is way too new to part with, and getting 240v to my garage will require a panel replacement (mine is full) and some painful drywall work. I could see it costing 10k to get 2 circuits to the garage.

Most McD remodeling recently I have seen tore away the kid's playground or shrink it, and increase drive through lane. They likely don't want you to get into the store and sit for 15 mins, and oh btw, now let's sit for a bit longer since we are not 250 miles yet.

Where will you see these chargers? Shopping mall, Target, Grocery stores, Costco, etc. The higher profit retailer.
Problem with Target, gocery stores, etc is that I am not stopping there while traveling. I am only going to think about charging when I am 200+ miles from home. McDs is at every other exit on every highway on the East Coast.

How does the truck get recharged when there is a brown out because the grid has insufficient capacity to with stand the A/C load on a warm day? When PG@E turns off the power on a windy day? Things to consider.

In a heartbeat. I think Ford got 45K reservations in the 1st 2 days...

Well this exposes the fallacy of the selling of these things. “Just drive it and you will be sold.” That has been pushed here quite a bit but there is more to any vehicle ownership than just driving it. A $10k electrical upgrade is not anything to sneeze at either.

A sensible person will consider all these things before buying. As with most anything, buying on emotion is a horrible way to spend money.

Well this exposes the fallacy of the selling of these things. “Just drive it and you will be sold.” That has been pushed here quite a bit but there is more to any vehicle ownership than just driving it. A $10k electrical upgrade is not anything to sneeze at either.

A sensible person will consider all these things before buying. As with most anything, buying on emotion is a horrible way to spend money.
Or is just shows how good these things are.

Back