Ford Mustang Replaces Tesla as Consumer Reports EV of the year

CR tests aren’t suspect. They have a great record over many decades. I have bought several things that I found top rated over the years but found out I didn’t like them. Still I won’t ever say their technique or ratings from consumers are suspect because I disagree.

Their numerical based tests are usually pretty fair. Subjective ratings are just that.

I take all rating agencies and publications with a grain of salt regardless.

Ive seen them pick products I had bad luck with and Ive seen them find reasons to downgrades others that were top shelf.

Testing EV's like you would a gas car misses a huge part of the ownership experience and leaving out things like one car will spend twice as much time charging on a long trip is missing a huge glaring ownership issue.

Last edited:
What's the purple stickers on the lower part of the rear fascia?
California car pool lane stickers. Bt the way, I like CR but struggle with some of their verbiage. Reliability, to me, means the vehicle runs every day. Panel gaps are not reliability.
20190818_104657.jpg

20190818_104735.jpg

California car pool lane stickers. Bt the way, I like CR but struggle with some of their verbiage. Reliability, to me, means the vehicle runs every day. Panel gaps are not reliability.
I have seen you mention "panel gaps are not reliability" in reference to Consumer Reports.
I wish you cold provide something documenting that. I have personally never seen it.

I have seen you mention "panel gaps are not reliability" in reference to Consumer Reports.
I wish you cold provide something documenting that. I have personally never seen it.
Look at what they ding Teslas for.
"Consumer Reports recommends the Tesla Model 3 sedan and rates its reliability as "average." But Fisher said the rest of Tesla's vehicles are below average. The popular Model Y SUV, Tesla's best-selling vehicle, has problems with poorly fitting body panels, leaks and issues with its climate control, Fisher said."

Depends on the product.

Yes I try to get as much information as possible but who provides the information that really matters to me (or you)?

Example - CR doenst take long trips over the same route with each car and compare time spent at the charger.
So they provide no insight on what a day long trip would be like, over winter and summer driving, so you dont learn which cars cold gate and what their actual performance is on the road under seasonal conditions.

Somebody like Bjorn Nyland takes every EV on the same 1K trip and compares the experience.
All I will say is people really get feathers ruffles when their car is replaced by another as a Consumer Reports top pick.
Sorry man, not buying it, we research and purchase as we like and what is important to us. Its not important to you and that is fine.
Me personally ? I like all the information I can get on any major purchase and it I see in Consumer reports that an motor has melt down problems or major issues I am going to avoid it.

You dont even have a car to compare to the Mustang Mach E but your talking about direct comparisons... all good, we are all different. Tesla 2 is very different i from a Mustang Mach E.
Pick and chose your publications ... which is what we do... I CERTAINLY like reading feed back on automobiles from the owners of the vehicles in Consumer Reports and no of no other publication as complete in that department....

Look at what they ding Teslas for.
"Consumer Reports recommends the Tesla Model 3 sedan and rates its reliability as "average." But Fisher said the rest of Tesla's vehicles are below average. The popular Model Y SUV, Tesla's best-selling vehicle, has problems with poorly fitting body panels, leaks and issues with its climate control, Fisher said."
Ahh ... that is a much more complete statement rather than just you saying "panel gaps are not reliability"
🙃

Testing EV's like you would a gas car misses a huge part of the ownership experience and leaving out things like one car will spend twice as much time charging on a long trip is missing a huge glaring ownership issue.
This is not a problem at all with my Mach E. On a long trip I will still take my Jetta TDI wagon. 800 miles to a tank of "gas" and very reliable. On a bad day it gets 45 to 48 MGG. On a good day I have gotten 55 MPG.

All I will say is people really get feathers ruffles when their car is replaced by another as a Consumer Reports top pick.
Sorry man, not buying it, we research and purchase as we like and what is important to us. Its not important to you and that is fine.
Me personally ? I like all the information I can get on any major purchase and it I see in Consumer reports that an motor has melt down problems or major issues I am going to avoid it.

You dont even have a car to compare to the Mustang Mach E but your talking about direct comparisons... all good, we are all different. Tesla 2 is very different i from a Mustang Mach E.
Pick and chose your publications ... which is what we do... I CERTAINLY like reading feed back on automobiles from the owners of the vehicles in Consumer Reports and no of no other publication as complete in that department....

Poeple that own them may. I dont.

Im not selling anything for you to buy, the work's been done by others.

This chart is a result of very comprehensive on road testing- the kind you dont get out of JD power, CR, or even automotive rags.
The time the ford takes to travel 1000 KM isnt in the ballpark of the leaderboard.

I think the 2WD was little further up later but the AWD barely broke the top 20.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 3.00.32 PM.jpg

This is not a problem at all with my Mach E. On a long trip I will still take my Jetta TDI wagon. 800 miles to a tank of "gas" and very reliable. On a bad day it gets 45 to 48 MGG. On a good day I have gotten 55 MPG.

The fact that the AWD mach-e driver will spend almost 2 hours more each way at a charger on a 1000K trip may or may not be a problem for someone else, or you.

Its significant for me and everyone I know.

Here's the later result with the 2wd mach-e (14nth place) and the Y current fastest SUV.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 3.15.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Poeple that own them may. I dont.

Im not selling anything for you to buy, the work's been done by others.

This chart is a result of very comprehensive on road testing- the kind you dont get out of JD power, CR, or even automotive rags.
The time the ford takes to travel 1000 KM isnt in the ballpark of the leaderboard.

I think the 2WD was little further up later but the AWD barely broke the top 20.

View attachment 97099
Please explain what this is.
To me the Mustang looks of very much in the ballpark for whatever this graphic showing

Please explain what this is.
To me the Mustang looks of very much in the ballpark for whatever this graphic showing

Its total time to cover 1000KM. The shorter the better.

The mustang is a poor long distance performer and thats a bummer to me.

Bjorn has been running this test for years.

What determines the speed of the vehicle during this 1000 km drive? Can you explain the test procedure?

6/10ths of a mile is a long distance?
Poor performer in the middle of the pack of the vehicles you posted and a 2 second difference?

Just trying to understand your reasoning being so many vehicles are slower and the Mustang is a mini SUV vs the compact car of a Tesla 3.
Im an SUV guy if I want to zip around Ill take my wifes Mazda but to tolerate a long ride Ill take the SUV.

Which brings back the article in the OP and why the publication that I like (and others) chose the Mustang Mach E this time. The reasons match up with what I would want.

We all pick what is good for us and of course the publications we read.

6/10ths of a mile is a long distance?
Poor performer in the middle of the pack of the vehicles you posted and a 2 second difference?

Just trying to understand your reasoning being so many vehicles are slower and the Mustang is a mini SUV vs the compact car of a Tesla 3.
Im an SUV guy if I want to zip around Ill take my wifes Mazda but to tolerate a long ride Ill take the SUV.

Which brings back the article in the OP and why the publication that I like (and others) chose the Mustang Mach E this time. The reasons match up with what I would want.

We all pick what is good for us and of course the publications we read.

lol....no thats hours of difference in time to make a 1000 Km/ 621 mile trip... not seconds. This has nothing to do with how quick each vehicle is.

It's slower on a long trip because it cannot sustain a high charge speed, charges slower, and spends longer times at the charger.

I did not expect ford to beat Tesla - I did expect them to beat the VW ID series and the Hyundais or Skoda, but sadly - it does not.
It does not even match the 10 year old teslas times.

The mach e guys are really hampered on long trips and often say "I'll take the gas car" because the car is simply isn't competitive on a long trip.

Within the range of the house - its a great car.

What determines the speed of the vehicle during this 1000 km drive? Can you explain the test procedure?
Sure.
Bjorn sets the cruise control for the trip synced with gps (typically 120 KPH) to insure the correct constant speed and drives the same route with each vehicle with the exception of the charger stops. He tracks temps, and wet/ dry conditions, compares charging speeds etcetera.

You can go check him out - hes the most thorough tester on the web right now in terms of Ev travel times.

Last edited:
It is a good test and note that the reference time is that of an essentially-gasoline powered car. The best performers are either 800V cars or Teslas with their very effective battery cooling allowing fast charging rates.

But even EVs in the lower half of the range remain fully relevant when you're not on a 1,000 km marathon.

Sure.
Bjorn sets the cruise control for the trip synced with gps (typically 120 KPH) to insure the correct constant speed and drives the same route with each vehicle with the exception of the charger stops. He tracks temps, and wet/ dry conditions, compares charging speeds etcetera.

You can go check him out - hes the most thorough tester on the web right now in terms of Ev travel times.

Guess that's all dandy if you were entering an EV in a "Cannon Ball Run" so to speak so you could get to the finish line quicker. A 1000 km trip (621 miles) probably isn't going to be done in 1 day (unless it is a Cannon Ball Run), so if it took an extra 30 minutes to do 310 miles it personally wouldn't bother me.

Guess that's all dandy if you were entering an EV in a "Cannon Ball Run" so to speak so you could get to the finish line quicker. A 1000 km trip (621 miles) probably isn't going to be done in 1 day (unless it is a Cannon Ball Run), so if it took an extra 30 minutes to do 310 miles it personally wouldn't bother me.

I understand that, I rarely do 621 miles myself.

Thing is I often do 460, and stang is simply longer at every stop along the way the longer your trip, the bigger the delta between the cars

120 KPH isnt really cannonball run speed and if you go much faster in an EV the trip time doesn't shorten much because of charge time.

its a 15-20 min stop in a Tesla which feels pretty natural - get out, hit the head, grab a snack, coffee - head back to the charger check some mails and be on your way - its basically double this time per stop in the stang.

Im doing nor cal to vegas tomorrow a 550 run, pretty close adding an hour and a half would suck.

Back