Ford Mustang Replaces Tesla as Consumer Reports EV of the year

ABRP a better route planner is an awesome tool to reference whatever trip you are taking in any EV, I recommend every plot out their trip and see for themselves what their choices really look like.

lol....no thats hours of difference in time to make a 1000 Km/ 621 mile trip... not seconds. This has nothing to do with how quick each vehicle is.

It's slower on a long trip because it cannot sustain a high charge speed, charges slower, and spends longer times at the charger.

I did not expect ford to beat Tesla - I did expect them to beat the VW ID series and the Hyundais or Skoda, but sadly - it does not.
It does not even match the 10 year old teslas times.

The mach e guys are really hampered on long trips and often say "I'll take the gas car" because the car is simply isn't competitive on a long trip.

Within the range of the house - its a great car.

Sure.
Bjorn sets the cruise control for the trip synced with gps (typically 120 KPH) to insure the correct constant speed and drives the same route with each vehicle with the exception of the charger stops. He tracks temps, and wet/ dry conditions, compares charging speeds etcetera.

You can go check him out - hes the most thorough tester on the web right now in terms of Ev travel times.

Ok, got it. I understand your posts now. Call me crazy but to me, maybe I am wrong, you seem to knock Consumer Reports in all our posts between each other. This is after I post in the OP how Mustang replaced the Tesla.

Anyway, IF your criteria is simply a 1000KM test by one person, it certainly is up to the buyer if range is all they are looking for. Heck if I Want range, gasoline is the way to go or smallest vehicle largest battery.

Anyway, Consumer Reports made clear why the Mustang replaced the Tesla and I don have to repeat it. If that isnt someones thing then that's ok too.

Consumer reports certainly to me, sounds like Mustang Mach E would be the car for me over a Tesla, NO question about it. Driving experience and enjoyment of the drive is within reason far more important and FORD HIT A GRAND SLAM with the Mustang Mach E which of course will undergo refinements as product gears up, like ANY new vehicle.
Anyway, someone like Bjorn would be a nice statistic to read because I like information, but I love the glowing driving experience of the Mustang Mach E both from someone I know who has one and Consumer reports.

As I looked into the publication you like to read, I ran across from the same publication, 4 mostly all glowing reviews of the Mustang Mach E.
SO lets add those to the glowing review in the OP!

Links from your publication are in the next post, honestly I justt skimmed over them enough to know, wow!

More reviews from a publication I never heard - Uncle Dave used information on the Bjorn 1000 KM runs from it.
Most are 2020/21 First Production runs not the 2022 models.

Information is good.

Last edited:
More reviews from a publication I never heard - Uncle Dave used information on the Bjorn 1000 KM runs from it.

Information is good.

I like inside EV's.

CR is always suspect to me regardless of their position on my own preferences.

Did anyone have difficulty finding Mach e articles?

Last edited:

Information is good.

Out of spec motoring colorado to vegas "shootout"

In order of time to arrive 1st being best.

The taycan,, ionic, and mustang all use the same network.
The teslas the superchargers.

1. taycan
2. ionic
3. Model X
4. Model 3
5. Mustang Mach E - way off the pace

In this loop/route the 800V volt cars won.

The superchargers on this route were mostly the older 150 KW max V2 units, so the teslas showing was pretty strong given this.

Last edited:
Out of spec motoring colorado to vegas "shootout"

In order of time to arrive 1st being best.

The taycan,, ionic, and mustang all use the same network.
The teslas the superchargers.

1. taycan
2. ionic
3. Model X
4. Model 3
5. Mustang Mach E - way off the pace

In this loop/route the 800V volt cars won.

The superchargers on this route were mostly the older 150 KW max V2 units, so the teslas showing was pretty strong given this.

Wouldn't this matter depending on what type of vehicle you are looking for?
Me personally no longer looks for fastest track times, I look for convenience and utility.
All personal preferences and I bet all faster than most peoples vehicles in here.

Wouldn't this matter depending on what type of vehicle you are looking for?
Me personally no longer looks for fastest track times, I look for convenience and utility.
All personal preferences and I bet all faster than most peoples vehicles in here.

Not really.

This isnt about "track times", or acceleration or top speed - but travel time over distance that require multiple charges - which effects everyone in an EV that decides to take it on a long trip

Not really.

This isnt about "track times", or acceleration or top speed - but travel time over distance that require multiple charges - which effects everyone in an EV that decides to take it on a long trip
We do realize there are another dozen cars around the Mustang distance or worse per charge.
But I have to agree with what you say about the others.
I certainly can understand the EV long trip concerns if that is the criteria.

Last edited:
We do realize there are another dozen cars around the Mustang distance or worse per charge.
But I have to agree with what you say about the others.
I certainly can understand the EV long trip concerns if that is the criteria.

I completely agree that there are plenty of cars with less range on a single charge.

On a road trip the charge network, battery cooling/ pre heating and overall holistic design all combine and come to the front as variables in the time it takes to complete a multi charge long distance journey.

Back