Ford Mustang Replaces Tesla as Consumer Reports EV of the year

My nephew has one, loves it.
As an investment, NOT that I am right in anyway but for me personally, why I cant bring myself to invest in Tesla.
Car companies are a dime a dozen and as they all start turning out EVs where will that leave Tesla?
More a stock price selling at 200 times earnings vs less than 20 times earnings for traditional car companies. I do know Telsa makes solar panels and battery back ups and maybe that will be a big profit area for them moving forward.
I do think some company that is somehow going to make solar viable, attractive looking and cost effective for the American family will hit a grand slam but no one has yet.

---

Consumer Reports? Isn't that the company that reviews toasters and vacuum cleaners? Not sure I'd put much relevance on their opinions of cars unless they are testing appliance models like Corolla or Civic.
It’s really the other way around. It’s the company that tests automobiles and posts reliability categories from every maker in the world. Much of the whole publication is based on automobile testing.
You would need to pick up the 2022 annual buying guide and the 2022 annual auto guide to understand the scope of the new and used car reviews, SUVs, trucks, tires and everything automotive related to understand.
Way, way, way too much information to post in here.
There is no other source of information on vehicles in the world that matches Consumer Reports and their reliability records on vehicles as reported to them by the owners of the vehicles themselves,

Last edited:
There is no other source of information on vehicles in the world that matches Consumer Reports and their reliability records on vehicles as reported to them by the owners of the vehicles themselves,
I'll go to the forums for real world reliability advice. I'm more interested on how the car handles, feels, drives, etc.

Once the big boys get ramped up with electrics I think Tesla will be in trouble.
And seeing some recent commercials some of the new electrics are flat out gorgeous.
And bling sells cars especially to women.
No self respecting soccer Mom is going to pick up her rats at soccer in an ugly vehicle.
Or go to the nail salon for that matter.

Of course they'd prefer a real car from a real car company run by an adult.

It’s really the other way around. It’s the company that tests automobiles and posts reliability categories from every maker in the world. Much of the whole publication is based on automobile testing.
You would need to pick up the 2022 annual buying guide and the 2022 annual auto guide to understand the scope of the new and used car reviews, SUVs, trucks, tires and everything automotive related to understand.
Way, way, way too much information to post in here.

You left out the most important part: they don't accept free samples from the manufacturer. They buy all their products at retail, so the mfr can't sneak in a ringer :sneaky:

CR has access to press cars, but they still buy them at retail.

CR does not take advertising; their integrity is intact. I used to subscribe, but that was years ago. Part of the problem is how they do their surveys.

"Consumer Reports conducts consumer surveys using our own research staff or through research firms we hire. Because Consumer Reports tests and reports on products sold in the U.S. and Canada, our consumer surveys are intended for residents of the U.S. and Canada only."

I believe the 4 Teslas are in their top 10 cars. Something like that.
One problem I have is their definition of reliability. A car that runs every day and has minimal work needed speaks to reliability; panel gaps do not have anything to do with reliability.

I see Mustang Mach-E running around; I'm sure their owners will love 'em.

I have been CR subscriber for decades.
They have a bias towards Japanese cars in their testing I think making them look better.
If you really look at their overall ratings in each category that determines reliability it's obvious.
A lot of that is their surveys of car owners.

I have been CR subscriber for decades.
They have a bias towards Japanese cars in their testing I think making them look better.
If you really look at their overall ratings in each category that determines reliability it's obvious.
A lot of that is their surveys of car owners.
Yup....especially in the very early years. Japanese great... USA...bad

Well, they were.
In many areas not.
Bad paint...very late to SS exhaust,
Little or no rust proofing and bad auto transmissions etc.
Also many were not well designed for American roads. More dependable but far from great.

AC was a dealer installed scam like $1000 on a 86 Acura and so on.

Tesla has lost sales and their large lead in Norway where 60 or so percent of new vehicle registration are electric vehicles.

Consumer Reports? Isn't that the company that reviews toasters and vacuum cleaners? Not sure I'd put much relevance on their opinions of cars unless they are testing appliance models like Corolla or Civic.
Consumer Reports reviewed the Corvette two decades back. The synopsis was (almost) as follows: Harsh ride, adequate acceleration, poor gas mileage, noisy exhaust, cramped seating, not recommended. Most of us had a good laugh at the review. Today, they do a much better job of reviewing the Corvette, and give it high marks for performance and a 5/5 for customer satisfaction.

Tesla has lost sales and their large lead in Norway where 60 or so percent of new vehicle registration are electric vehicles.

Please post the data source.

On the Mach-E its kind of sad that the very nice looking and promising car has been an absolute gong show, having every coach building problem tesla has had and more, as well as electrical problems teslas dont have. Their "sport" version only give you full throttle for 5 seconds before " protecting the battery" - no one else has this problem.

The whole thing is "Hecho en Mexico"

The AWD mach e is so far away from the front runners in a 1000 KM test it cant even see the leaders.
Beat the tesla? It cant match the Skoda much less the Teslas.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.48.11 PM.jpg

Last edited:
In many areas not.
Bad paint...very late to SS exhaust,
Little or no rust proofing and bad auto transmissions etc.
Also many were not well designed for American roads. More dependable but far from great.

AC was a dealer installed scam like $1000 on a 86 Acura and so on.
Dealer installed options also often included radio and cruise control, It wasn't unusual to have issues after the install either.

CR does not take advertising; their integrity is intact. I used to subscribe, but that was years ago. Part of the problem is how they do their surveys.

"Consumer Reports conducts consumer surveys using our own research staff or through research firms we hire. Because Consumer Reports tests and reports on products sold in the U.S. and Canada, our consumer surveys are intended for residents of the U.S. and Canada only."
(Well, I can see Ill be on the other side once again in a thread)

SO you are evaluating Consumer Reports surveys based on what? Do you know a more scientific way to do it? Consumer Reports sends out survey to its members and you in this thread call that a problem because they chose a care over one that you like?
Then go and post a thread from a forum to back up your statement which would lead me to believe you think 6 pages of a discussion in a forum is more scientific?
Yet you didnt mind when Tesla was their top pick?

Wait for the "Big Boys" to get in.... Mustang Mach-E forum Complaints including buy-backs... Bring a lunch.

It seems CR testers have had better results than many owners.
Yeah, like CR testers are a true result vs 6 pages in a forum discussing production bugs including non working large door openers.
Sorry man, a scientific survey is close with Consumer Reports to compare it to a forum with a handful to few handfuls of people is ridiculous, you can pull up a forum on any vehicle, including Tesla which to this day still seems to have a LOT of paint and body issues, according to the "forums" I would freak out if the paint was defective on my $50,000 vehicle according to the forums, some even complain of rust.

Which also brings me to stock valuation = Tesla stock price at 200 times earnings, Ford at 3.5 times earnings. I hope for those long term investors Musk pulls something out of a hat to keep the price justified. BTW I LIKE ELON MUSK

Last edited:
Consumer Reports reviewed the Corvette two decades back. The synopsis was (almost) as follows: Harsh ride, adequate acceleration, poor gas mileage, noisy exhaust, cramped seating, not recommended. Most of us had a good laugh at the review. Today, they do a much better job of reviewing the Corvette, and give it high marks for performance and a 5/5 for customer satisfaction.
I think many people can agree assuming your timeline is correct, a lot of refinements over the last 20 years. I remember back 30 to 40 years of the same.
(BITOG - frustrating writing in here this morning (9AM), pages freezes again, ad server I assume hanging up the pages)

Last edited:
Ok, so here is my nephews comments on his Mustang EV. ( I just texted him yesterday)
He loves it! Has had it since early Nov 2021.
I only found out late yesterday he likes it so much that my other nephew (which he is close with) just ordered a 2022 Mustang MACH E. (EV) Going to take like 4 months do get delivery though.
They both have solar panels recently installed on their homes and being they are in a metro area should be a nice deal for them. (meaning it wont be for long trips in the cars and charge at home, in fact they dont even have to drive to work)

I believe one or both actually have Tesla Panels and Tesla Battery backups for their home, just texted him to confirm that. I remember seeing a recent photo and big panels on a garage wall in one of their homes with the Words Tesla on them, I assumed they are batteries.

Back