Ford Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently researched a used Ford Freestyle for a family member and I believe the Edge has the same bulletproof drivetrain. I think these are great vehicles with the only negatives being resale value and so-so mileage. The mileage is on par with imports and the resale value may go up as Ford's quality has risen recently.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
We are thining about buying one. Does anyone have one, what's good/bad.

Great quality and the quietest vehicle I have ever owned. I have an AWD model and the gas mileage is about 15/22. Has a lot of power and very low maintenance.

I really like the Ford Edge. But I like the Lincoln MK badged version even better. Either way I think it is the most progressive of the crossovers made by far. I have a neighbor who has one and so far about 12,000 miles into it really likes it. I have heard nothing bad about the Edge at all.

We test drove the Edge in comparison shopping between Edge/CX7/CX9/Tribeca/a few others.

Positives:
Nice interior, in my opinion
Very quiet ride
Fairly roomy
Nice drivetrain (Proven? Reliable? see negatives below)
Can pick up a used one at a decent price
Sync is sweet

Negatives:
Driving it, it felt huge compared to the actual size of the vehicle
Not very "sporty" especially in comparison to the CX7/CX9 - if you are going for "sporty"
I felt the engine had to work pretty hard to move the car. While it was sufficient it didn't feel compelling. I often found myself revving to 5k in daily driving because that's what it felt like it took to go from stoplight to stoplight. On a positive note - it was quiet and perfectly happy doing that, which I would give it a point for refinement.
It NEEDS a manually selectable gear function. If that's your cup of tea. It's pretty standard on almost all automatics now, I can't see why Ford left it out.

Disclaimer: I am probably a little negative biased to the Edge, I really wanted to like it and buy it, but I guess it wasn't what we were looking for.

Two things that I have read on internet car forums (disclaimer: internet car forums) that stand out to me:

I have read that there is a possibility of transfer case problems in early models of the AWD version. Leaking seals or something to that effect, probably not catastrophic.

According to car mags the brakes suck. I read somewhere they did/are changing them. But I am not positive of this. Most car mags tested the Edge at 150+ft to stop from 60mph, that's horrible.

Last edited:
My wife's Aunt drives a 2007 Edge. She and my wife both really like it, FWIW. What does that actually mean? Knowing my wife, she probably thinks the radio buttons are cool, or some other silliness.

If you want a microvan, get one.

If you want an small body-on-frame truck, get one.

Don't get something half-arsed in-between.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
According to car mags the brakes suck. I read somewhere they did/are changing them. But I am not positive of this. Most car mags tested the Edge at 150+ft to stop from 60mph, that's horrible.

wow, that sucks. the CX-7 that Edge is based on uses dual piston front calipers and vented discs both front AND back. The result is one of the best rated brakes in the segment .... Ford went and watered that down too? *tisk*

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
That is one ugly car...

When I first saw it on a TV ad, I *hated* it, but I've seen a few on the road and it's actually rather attractive, especially when compared to a minivan.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think the Ford Flex is a much better buy. The Flex has a lot more room.

D'oh, I thought we were talking about the Flex. I had to look up the Edge just now to figure out what it even was.

Either way, the Flex looks pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Ford may be producing the best moderately priced cars in the world now.

I agree. When Ford starts bringing their European line (Fiesta, Focus etc...) over here next year I think people will be impressed. The next gen Taurus also looks like a winner. If Ford can keep improving their quality (as they currently are) I think they'll survive and prosper.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I agree. When Ford starts bringing their European line (Fiesta, Focus etc...) over here next year I think people will be impressed. The next gen Taurus also looks like a winner. If Ford can keep improving their quality (as they currently are) I think they'll survive and prosper.

I agree, Ford has been improving their cars all of the time and have a really nice lineup. Can't wait for some of the future models.

+1

Impatiently waiting for my Fiesta.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

+1

Impatiently waiting for my Fiesta.
19.gif

+2 Tho the focus will remain the current one, the festiva looks like a real winner!!! forget the Nissan Versa, the Fiesta looks like it means business!!!

Great quality and the quietest vehicle I have ever owned. I have an AWD model and the gas mileage is about 15/22.

I was hoping for better mileage. Does the 2wd do better? This car will be for my wife. She currently drives a 2002 Grand Prix GTP, it's been a great car but it has 160k on it now, she drives about 110 miles a day. The GTP is getting 25 mpg, she keeps track. I just don't want her to drive the car that far every day when it's getting close to 200k. Car is in great shape maybe I'm being paranoid.

I think Ford has it together, more than the other 2 domestic companies. My buddy has an 08 Edge, AWD, runs great. I don't care for the body style, but in the right color it doesn't look bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back