Ford Edge water pump replacement

Well the original shop that was supposed to do the work, they never got back to me, today with how much it would be with OEM parts. But when I was getting a haircut today I found out about another shop, this guy doesn't advertise he just goes by word of mouth, I went to go check him out, he works on everything from diesels to gas. He worked me up an estimate using OEM parts, except for the stretch belt, and the gasket set. And it actually came out lower, then the other shop using cloyes.. 🤔
Word of mouth is huge! If you're competent work will find you.

Ok I was mildly delusional (an increasingly common state) and the o-rings I was remembering were on the VCT solenoid assy. They insert into the front of the phasers and the block after the phasers are installed. Visible here early on around ~1:40

Most kits won't include but I'd want to replace if I did this job again

Ok I was mildly delusional (an increasingly common state) and the o-rings I was remembering were on the VCT solenoid assy. They insert into the front of the phasers and the block after the phasers are installed. Visible here early on around ~1:40

Most kits won't include but I'd want to replace if I did this job again

Yeah I'm not replacing the phases, no reason to take the phases off..

The Ford is different than the Mazda, the Ford it's not equipped with those.
The green highlighted parts are your cam phasers. The 6M280A/B parts are the oil control solenoids for the phasers.

Web capture_25-3-2023_11306_snaponepc.com.jpeg

Per the WSM you have to remove at least the RH (rear bank) VCTs(phasers). Make sure you get new VCT bolts as they are one time use.
For water pump replacement? They can stay on unless you’re changing the secondary chain. You just have to remove the VCT solenoids to get the primary chain off. You can sneak the primary chain past the phasers but you everything must be in time for it to work the way the phasers are shaped. But yes, the phaser bolts are one time use. As is the balancer bolt.

Per the WSM you have to remove at least the RH (rear bank) VCTs(phasers). Make sure you get new VCT bolts as they are one time use.
All torque to yield bolts are being replaced. I'm having it done at a different shop now, I'm using all OEM parts. It's costing me the same money, with OEM parts, I found this shop when I was getting my haircut, he doesn't advertise at all, he's just hidden down a long driveway, you can't find his sign unless you were looking for it, he works on everything from gas to diesel, a lot of commercial work, he has so much work he can't afford to advertise.. Everything will be OEM, except for the, Mobil 1 oil, WIX oil filter Peak antifreeze, felpro gaskets, and dayco stretch belt..

For water pump replacement? They can stay on unless you’re changing the secondary chain. You just have to remove the VCT solenoids to get the primary chain off. You can sneak the primary chain past the phasers but you everything must be in time for it to work the way the phasers are shaped. But yes, the phaser bolts are one time use. As is the balancer bolt.
It showed it in the WSM. The 6279 bolts are on the OTU list. I cruise through the WSM whenever I quote parts for a job to make sure I get everything. Like I tell my techs, I would rather bill it out and them give it back, than me not quote it and they need it.

I have two cam bolts being replaced, 6279E also 6279D

If you’re just doing the primary chain and not touching the phasers or secondary chain that is not needed. The RH (rear) bank upper guide bolt is blocked my the intake cam phaser but you can sneak the pump out past the guide with it in place. but if they are replacing that guide you’ll have to remove the RH phasers. FWIW those upper guides rarely show any wear. It’s the two larger ones that usually do, much more stress in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
If you’re just doing the primary chain and not touching the phasers or secondary chain that is not needed. The RH (rear) bank upper guide bolt is blocked my the intake cam phaser but you can sneak the pump out past the guide with it in place. but if they are replacing that guide you’ll have to remove the RH phasers.
[/QUOT
There is a total of 4 two of each I'm having both chains replaced

If you’re having all 3 chains replaced you’ll need 4 of the phasers bolts. 2 of each.

If you’re having all 3 chains replaced you’ll need 4 of the phasers bolts. 2 of each.
That's what I have.. I'm going all OEM.. except for the mobil 1 oil, wix oil filter, Peak antifreeze, and Dayco stretch belt. Oh I forgot fell pro gaskets

Back