Ford Edge water pump replacement

The primary, BL3Z-6268-A and secondary, AT4Z-6268-A, for this application are readily available. Now any of the other components, I would have to check. Ford does not make a "kit" for these and everything is sold individually. I usually keep them all in stock since anything of this vintage we do a water pump on usually gets a timing set as well.

The primary, BL3Z-6268-A and secondary, AT4Z-6268-A, for this application are readily available. Now any of the other components, I would have to check. Ford does not make a "kit" for these and everything is sold individually. I usually keep them all in stock since anything of this vintage we do a water pump on usually gets a timing set as well.

Good to know. Not sure we just waited over a month for 2 timing chains for 2 different explorers.

Same could be said about most large metropolitan areas, but yes.

Some, not most. There's a big middle in this country with lots of metro areas that are still reasonable.

BTW I just saw a Facebook ad. In Fairfax County, Virginia $800K will buy you a brand new townhouse. If you're not familiar, that's a Virginia suburb of DC.

I have a 2018 Edge with this engine. Watching this engine water pump design gives me the willies.
That's why I'm doing it out of preventive maintenance, anytime I change the oil I always take a look at the weep hole, anytime I checked the oil I always look for coolant, I sent oil samples out, I've even put oil samples in a frying pan before.. 🤣🤣 making sure I had no coolant in the oil. But there's always that chance it takes a dump on the highway. And even though I don't drive that much, I still wanted to do it.. it's a cheap insurance policy..

Seems idiotic to have a weep hole drain into the engine. Imagine if post op they routed your foley catheter into your nose. Duct the d*** water pump outside the engine.

Morons

post op.jpg

Seems idiotic to have a weep hole drain into the engine. Imagine if post op they routed your foley catheter into your nose. Duct the d*** water pump outside the engine.

Morons

View attachment 145877

There is an external weep hole, but often gets clogged by dirt and debris from the outside. If the pump has bearing failure it will dump a lot of coolant in a hurry into the crankcase. I have a picture of a 3.7 apart at work I’ll take some photos of it tomorrow .

Last edited:
I think the issue was they could not physically fit the engine in transverse applications with an external water pump. Which is why they put it inside
Honestly -- and this is only my perception -- I always figured it was a heritage/corporate culture issue because Team Duratec always seemed to build a V6 and then realize they forgot the water pump.

The previous gen 3.0 hung it off the back opposite every other engine driven accy, driven by its own standalone shaft like a PTO.....in a cheesy plastic enclosure.

The 3.0 solution was arguably crude but effective and easy to service

The 3.5 went to the other extreme and while arguably elegant from an engineering perspective was NOT elegant for maintenance or mode of failure. Milkshakes are bad...

But point being: two consecutive generations of V6s with the Duratec moniker where I just feel like the engineers didn't know what quite to do with the water pump ;)

because the water pump is inside the timing cover and if it leaks coolant goes directly into the oil and destroys the engine. Ford's transverse 3.5 is known for this. Take the labor cost hit once.
Doesn't that depend on the year? Before a certain year, they did that. After a certain model year a spot was made in the pump for it to leak out externally. For a 2011 3.5L Ford Edge, if the shaft seal starts to go there tube for the coolant to drain externally:
MC-WP_01.jpg

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to change out this water pump. Yes, it's difficult by water pump standards, but I would think that most people here could do it. Personally, I wouldn't change out the timing components unless the engine has high mileage Or I saw an issue.

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to change out this water pump. Yes, it's difficult by water pump standards, but I would think that most people here could do it. Personally, I wouldn't change out the timing components unless the engine has high mileage Or I saw an issue.
The timing chain rides on water pump.. there is a weep hole for it to leak externally but it can also go the opposite way and go right into the sump..

Honestly -- and this is only my perception -- I always figured it was a heritage/corporate culture issue because Team Duratec always seemed to build a V6 and then realize they forgot the water pump.

The previous gen 3.0 hung it off the back opposite every other engine driven accy, driven by its own standalone shaft like a PTO.....in a cheesy plastic enclosure.

The 3.0 solution was arguably crude but effective and easy to service

The 3.5 went to the other extreme and while arguably elegant from an engineering perspective was NOT elegant for maintenance or mode of failure. Milkshakes are bad...

But point being: two consecutive generations of V6s with the Duratec moniker where I just feel like the engineers didn't know what quite to do with the water pump ;)

While I agree to a certain extent, if that was the case, they’d have to reengineer the block and the water passages for it at the front of the block. Almost like the designed the block around the water pump. That , to me at least, doesn’t seem like an afterthought 🤷🏻‍♂️. Longitudinally mounted engines have an external water pump. The block/front cover is also different.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
I have a 2013 Ford Edge with a 3.5 with about 120K. I'm replacing the water pump out of preventive maintenance. I'm doing the timing chains as well; I plan on getting a Cloyes's timing chain kit Motorcraft water pump, felpro gasket set, OEM front main seal, OEM crank bolt. OEM thermostat. 3 gallons of Peak antifreeze, 6 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That he recommended I change in about a 1500 miles. Mechanic that will be doing it worked for Ford for 20 years till he opened up his own shop. So he's done a few of these.. 😂 It will come with some sort of TechNet warranty Two years 24,000 miles Nationwide warranty. Plugs coil packs, serpentine belt has all been replaced, stretch belt has to be replaced can't be reused. Tensioner has been replaced as well.. my question is. Is Cloyes a good timing kit? Has anyone here used them before? I know they're very well known. Cloyes and Melling..
Thank you...
Thought I'd add my 2 cents or perhaps more confusion. We had a Taurus-X. Pretty sure same drivetrain and Shakey water pump design. Never replaced it and it never failed in the 210k miles we had it. Car was still in good shape at 200k so replaced Pto then that failed (yes changed fluids there) and ended up junking it at 210k when transmission failed but water pump was still good. May consider leaving it be and just taking your chances.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents or perhaps more confusion. We had a Taurus-X. Pretty sure same drivetrain and Shakey water pump design. Never replaced it and it never failed in the 210k miles we had it. Car was still in good shape at 200k so replaced Pto then that failed (yes changed fluids there) and ended up junking it at 210k when transmission failed but water pump was still good. May consider leaving it be and just taking your chances.

I've been playing with that idea, but in my situation, being on Social Security living on a fixed income, the car is in really good shape, inside and out, I've always taken really good care of it, previous owner that had it for 2 years always changed the oil every 5,000 miles, I've changed the oil every 2 to 3,000 miles or 6 months with synthetic. I don't really drive much to and from doctor's appointments. I run around town. During the summer, I make some trips to the Carolinas, Atlantic City, Williamsburg and Lancaster. And I really don't want to be making $400 a month payments.. or if I get a used vehicle, I'm going to have to start all over, brakes are new on this, belts and tune up have been done. Shocks and struts have been replaced with KYB, tires have been replaced with 60,000 mile Uniroyal and I have it aligned once a year.. I just hate for it to take a s*** because I won't start over with junkyard motor.. LOL I did that once before, it only had 35,000 miles on it, **** thing was a dog, wouldn't even get out of its own way.

Back