Ford Edge water pump replacement

Expensive or time consuming preventative items are always a tough call. Guess you just have to go with your best instincts. Enjoy your retirement!!
Agreed. On these I think if you were RELIGIOUS about checking the oil at least once a week and probably every Sunday and Wednesday if a daily driver to look for a milkshake, you'd be alright.

Of course if it occurs you have to be prepared to park it immediately. And if you're on a road trip, life starts to suck....

There's plenty of anecdotal online of these engines surviving a heavy milkshake, but I'm sure it shortened engine life somewhat

My personal opinion is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, however, I understand your concern. If you do this, insist on genuine Ford parts. Too many mechanics I’ve talked to had nightmares with aftermarket parts, especially with something as critical as this. After the work is done, watch your oil level and coolant level closely. Look for “milkshake “ under the oil fill cap too.

If you can replace a timing belt driven water pump, you can replace this water pump. Now if you ran it too long with milkshake or it has high mileage and you need to replace the all the timing components as well, I could see that being viewed as more difficult as well as expensive just for the parts.

The camshaft holding tool set is $28 on Amazon. You probably already have the rest of the tools.

One of the vehicles I maintain in a 2011 Edge with the 3.5L engine and it has this setup. It's rarely driven (just hit 50K miles), garage kept and on a battery tender with the hood open most of the time. If the coolant level drops, I'm going to notice it pretty quickly.

If you can replace a timing belt driven water pump, you can replace this water pump. Now if you ran it too long with milkshake or it has high mileage and you need to replace the all the timing components as well, I could see that being viewed as more difficult as well as expensive just for the parts.

The camshaft holding tool set is $28 on Amazon. You probably already have the rest of the tools.

One of the vehicles I maintain in a 2011 Edge with the 3.5L engine and it has this setup. It's rarely driven (just hit 50K miles), garage kept and on a battery tender with the hood open most of the time. If the coolant level drops, I'm going to notice it pretty quickly.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, worked as a mechanic years ago till on older vehicles, I replaced timing chains I replaced timing belts, I replaced many of water pumps. Unfortunately my health is pretty bad, I have a bad back, and arthritis. So this would be out of my hands.. when I change my own oil, or antifreeze.. I'm hurting all day.. so this would not be a job for me. I would love to be able to find somebody to take the job on that has the experience. And I would furnish the parts, so that would save me some money.

I can't recall but most of the timing stuff has to come off to remove the water pump. The timing set isn't particularly expensive.

Personal preference but it seems to me a waste to not put on new parts when you're holding the old parts in your hands.

Also I personally wouldn't want to do this job without a lift. The access a lift affords for one random bolt on the p/s pump and installing the stretch belt is priceless.

And you have to loosen a motor mount and drop/tilt the motor several times. It was SOOOO nice to have the vehicle elevated and then tilt the motor on underhoist stands.

That said, you absolutely CAN do this job without a lift if you're willing to crawl around a bit

Are you the sort of person who answers "yes" when the clerk at Best Buy asks if you want to pay for the extended warranty?
Depends on the item. But ever since COVID, parts quality has pretty much tanked. I’d be very skeptical of providing my own parts and assuming the risk on a large job like this one.

Last edited:
Photos of the weep hole.

Attachments

• 132979C7-EC00-4691-A77D-30055F025D88.jpeg
    132979C7-EC00-4691-A77D-30055F025D88.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 853DCB41-C86C-4A91-BF20-D9FA937255E4.jpeg
    853DCB41-C86C-4A91-BF20-D9FA937255E4.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 0FF1D979-7F9B-46CF-BC72-EBBAE47210C6.jpeg
    0FF1D979-7F9B-46CF-BC72-EBBAE47210C6.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 39
Unfortunately there isn't an auto repair shop owner who frequents this site from around my area and that is familiar with this repair.
Soooo.....ya don't really want an experienced shop to be reliant on YT but there's a 4-part series from a guy John Can Fix Anything that was incredibly helpful for me. And he didn't have a lift, he appeared to just be a guy in his home garage (although I stand by my personal insistence on a lift).

The scariest part about his series is that he recos and links to no-name import parts on Amazon. Don't grimace too much, though --- his tech is solid, he just hasn't yet been bitten by Chinese failures.

Well the original shop that was supposed to do the work, they never got back to me, today with how much it would be with OEM parts. But when I was getting a haircut today I found out about another shop, this guy doesn't advertise he just goes by word of mouth, I went to go check him out, he works on everything from diesels to gas. He worked me up an estimate using OEM parts, except for the stretch belt, and the gasket set. And it actually came out lower, then the other shop using cloyes.. 🤔

Back