Ford Edge water pump replacement

I was thinking of the VCT solenoids, the little o rings..

It’s for the VCT solenoids.

Just FYI the fel pro sets I find the tube seals and VCT seals are a bit too large for the valve covers. I have actually cracked one trying to press it in. The OEM seals go in much easier. IIRC it’s cheaper too.

I was thinking of the VCT solenoids, the little o rings..
There's tiny o-rings on the cam inside the phasers. They're responsible for maintaining oil pressure to the phasers.

It's your call but if available I'd absolutely replace them. It's a huge job to later find out skimping on two tiny o-rings throws a code

edit: or is two per cam, so four total??

I used a Mahle valve cover gasket kit and don't recall any problems.

There's tiny o-rings on the cam inside the phasers. They're responsible for maintaining oil pressure to the phasers.

It's your call but if available I'd absolutely replace them. It's a huge job to later find out skimping on two tiny o-rings throws a code

The cam phasers come with the kit, don't they have o-rings on them

The cam phasers come with the kit, don't they have o-rings on them
You're replacing the phasers? I didn't see that in your initial parts list. I don't think it's considered SOP on these timing jobs?

I imagine OEM phasers are at least $250 ea (guessing) so that must add at least $500 in parts??

In order to change the VCT seals you need to pull the cams out. There are 2 split ring Teflon seals per cam.

The phasers themselves typically aren’t an issue on these engines IME

In order to change the VCT seals you need to pull the cams out. There are 2 split ring Teflon seals per cam.
Ok my mistake. There was some tiny o-ring in the phasers when I slid them off. Easy to lose if you're not watching for it

You're replacing the phasers? I didn't see that in your initial parts list. I don't think it's considered SOP on these timing jobs?

I imagine OEM phasers are at least $250 ea (guessing) so that must add at least $500 in parts??
No I'm not replacing them

Ok my mistake. There was some tiny o-ring in the phasers when I slid them off. Easy to lose if you're not watching for it

No worries. Other engines do have what you’re referring but not these

It's a shame that Ford doesn't sell a valve cover gasket kit, everything is peaced out, same thing with the timing kit. And unfortunately it makes it more expensive, specially when you're on a fixed income.. ☹️

That’s even more crazy. These can be done in less than an 8 hour day if you know what you’re doing. All you need for parts is a valve cover set, water pump, timing chain kit, a tube of RTV, a front seal and some coolant. Definitely not 4200$. That’s a get lost price.
I should do a 2023 - labor rate thread, but ALL of the dealers around here just bumped their rates to the low/mid $200 range.

I know in one of the FTM vids he said he charges ~$1250 but I think that was 4 years ago according to the YT description. I have to imagine with post-irrational-global-panic he's had to push that up, quite possibly considerably with present inflation-that-isn't-inflation

That is reasonable. Some of the prices the OP has gotten is nuts. With the price I gave him he’d still be ahead even with that Indy shop price

That is reasonable. Some of the prices the OP has gotten is nuts. With the price I gave him he’d still be ahead even with that Indy shop price
It will definitely go up from $2000 if I go with OEM parts.. I can't even imagine, LOL I'll find out tomorrow..

It will definitely go up from $2000 if I go with OEM parts.. I can't even imagine, LOL I'll find out tomorrow..

The OEM timing chain has been on back order on and off lately. Not sure if it still is.

Back