Ford doesn't recommend brake fluid changing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced a wheel cyl on a 2002 Caravan with 136k on the original fluid. I took the old wheel cyl apart and found black, gritty sludge over the entire inside of the cylinder. The seals were still in great shape and there piston was in good condition as well.

If the fluid had been serviced regularly, the internal parts may have stayed a lot cleaner. However, I really doubt that it would have made a difference in the service life of the hydraulic components.

I change mine every 2 years. Just like any other fluid, it gets oxidized, absorbs moisture, and corrosion inhibitors begin to lose their potency. Any corrosion that occurs in the system draws metals into the fluid which speeds up further oxidation (e.g. copper as a catalyst).

Especially with DOT 4 & DOT 5.1 fluids, though they are more "tolerant" of moisture, the mechanism by which water is absorbed releases boric acid as a by-product.... so you don't want a big buildup of that in your brake system either.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Brake systems are supposed to be "sealed" anyways, but can't be 100% airtight.

I think that's Ford's way of saying "change it the day after the warranty expires".

I would agree except the warranty ended at 50k miles or so, I can't remember exactly, but they have the maintenance schedule all the way out to 120k and there are items listed at 100k miles that are not listed during the warranty period.

The dealer was quite clear about Ford NOT recommending it. I'm going to get it done anyway, I just have to find a different place to get it done. The dealership said they would do it if I felt it absolutely necessary for something like $150.

Also, this is about the Escape in my signature which specs DOT 3.

Last edited:
I just checked my Mazda manual and it says nothing about brake fluid replacement, just inspections for USA. For Mexico, it says to replace brake fluid every 24 months.

As far as I can tell it is the same fluid and same car for both countries. Really odd.

Mine says the same thing, of course. The page in the manual before the Mexico maintenance schedule basically is stating that "Mexico" means heavy brake use and driving in dusty, hot conditions.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Brake systems are supposed to be "sealed" anyways, but can't be 100% airtight.

You’re correct. They are sealed only to the thin layer of brake fluid that is at the lip of the seal. The dust boot helps, but there is always some exchange with the (humid) environment at the very lip of the seal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Where does the Cu copper come from? The brake line is steel as is the master cylinder and caliper and piston. Piston is chrome plated.

Copper comes from the brake lines, which are made of Bundy tubing. This tubing is spiral-wound steel strips (think electrical tape over a wire bundle), which are brazed together before further extrusion to size. The copper comes from the brazing.

I have a 79 Cadillac that is in good condition with 300,xxx miles on it... she lives in one of my garages has been there since 1996
i have never changed that brake fluid i did change one calibur so that line is clean...lol
I start that car once a year i am going to get qq plates soon

Here is one of those opinion statements I like to announce. I changed my brake fluid every 30,000 miles on my 1989 Honda Accord - religiously. The master cylinder had to be replaced about every 100,000 miles due to design of the M/C? Who knows? On the up side, I never had to rebuild a cylinder/caliper or replace a hose in over 350,000 miles.

My future practice will be to replace fluid that has darkened significantly (the definition of significantly is at my discretion). It's easy to do and low cost. I just don't know if it really helps.

I kept that car 23 years. I don't ever want to do that again. No matter how well made, any vehicle will need a lot of attention to go that many miles. How many of you will keep yours that long? Most will go 100,000-200,000 miles with none of this fluid flushing/replacement needed so why mess around with it unless you REALLY want to keep it forever?

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'll follow Mercedes' recommendations on any car with a brake system. Which is 2 years.

Ditto- except for my track rats, which get a change every six months.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Here is one of those opinion statements I like to announce. I changed my brake fluid every 30,000 miles on my 1989 Honda Accord - religiously. The master cylinder had to be replaced about every 100,000 miles due to design of the M/C? Who knows? On the up side, I never had to rebuild a cylinder/caliper or replace a hose in over 350,000 miles.

My future practice will be to replace fluid that has darkened significantly (the definition of significantly is at my discretion). It's easy to do and low cost. I just don't know if it really helps.

I kept that car 23 years. I don't ever want to do that again. No matter how well made, any vehicle will need a lot of attention to go that many miles. How many of you will keep yours that long? Most will go 100,000-200,000 miles with none of this fluid flushing/replacement needed so why mess around with it unless you REALLY want to keep it forever?

My 20 years old Lexus LS400 with 350k miles has all original brake components from master cylinder to calipers and hoses. Brake fluid was flushed every 3-4 years after doing nothing in the first 8-10 years.

^I'm not really saying that changing the brake fluid caused the M/C failures. It may have been the design, the hot summers around here, or even my braking habits. I wonder if they would have lasted longer without the 30,000 mile fluid changes. I'll never know, I guess.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

10 years / 200kmiles, give or take, not a bad lifespan for most vehicles. Heck, if you rack up more miles in less time, is the brake fluid going to be any more contaminated? Good arguement, makes me rethink doing the brake fluid on my Toyota's now that I think about it; not convinced I'm interested in the 20+ year ownership either.

I find that factory drum brake wheel cylinders fail at 5 years if the fluid isn't flushed, and if the fluid is flushed at some point the wheel cylinders last 7 years or more.

So I say replace the fluid at least every 3 years.

Here's another possible suggestion why Ford now doesn't recomend a brake fluid change- cost of ownership. There are outfits such as J.D.Power who calculate the "cost of ownership" of a vehicle for it's first 100K mi. Some of us BITOGer's suspect that that may be reason for so many of the new cars having a timing belt change at ,say, 105K or something close. And what about the "lifetime fill" for transmission fluids, differential fluids, transfer case, etc. It's unreasonable to think that any fluid is "lifetime" Or do they really mean Lifetime Of The Carmakers Warranty?

Ford still lists maintenance items past 100k miles. If that was the case, I would think they would put brake fluid to be changed on one of those post 100k lists.

Until recently, I've owned only domestic brands (though not Fords) and none recommended a brake fluid exchange in the owner's manual. Both of our Hondas, however, recommend it at every three years, regardless of mileage. I exchanged the fluid in our Acura MDX a year or so ago and the difference in pedal feel was dramatic. I will likely do it on our Honda CR-V this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back