Ford CD4E ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
When the bottle changed from black to red!

It changed from red to black actually. The newer Motorcraft Mercon V formulation comes in the black bottle.

Red bottle appeared to be a typical Conoco bottle, black bottle appears to be a Chevron (old style Havoline) bottle.

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice :)
I'll plea color blindness. I don't spend much time spending money in the Ford parts dept anymore.

I have a CD4E in my '02 Escape. I drain out 4 qts every 10K and refill with plain 'ol Mercon. It has 93K on it and has been flawless since day one. The last drain 'n fill I did I used, for the first time, SuperTech "High Mileage" Mercon.

Originally Posted By: cos
I have a CD4E in my '02 Escape. I drain out 4 qts every 10K and refill with plain 'ol Mercon. It has 93K on it and has been flawless since day one. The last drain 'n fill I did I used, for the first time, SuperTech "High Mileage" Mercon.

This looks like a good drain interval for this trans. I'm going to do something similar, I think, with either Maxlife or Mobil 1. Would one be preferable to another?

I'd use M1 or Merc V over maxlife. I put M1 in ours the last time.. no scientific proof but after driving with different lubes the torque converter prefers the thin stuff.. or thinner anyways. Going with Valv. Merc V next time due to walmart not carrying M1 anymore.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
I'd use M1 or Merc V over maxlife. I put M1 in ours the last time.. no scientific proof but after driving with different lubes the torque converter prefers the thin stuff.. or thinner anyways. Going with Valv. Merc V next time due to walmart not carrying M1 anymore.

Good. I'll try the M1.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Try the Motorcraft fluid, you won't be disappointed.

Where might I find it?

I have actually seen the Ford service bulletins saying to upgrade to Mercon V. Just like the oil in my gf's Mystique and my Taurus. They came with 5W30, but Ford decided later that it should be 5W20. I also did a power steering fluid change in my Dakota when Chrysler finally decided to use ATF+4 instead of the regular old fluid. Just happen to find that bulletin a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back