Ford can't figure out 2.7L Bronco oil capacity

The Ford 2v 6.8l v10 has a like issue. One is supposed to fill the oil according to the factory fill specifications, which does not register properly on the oil dipstick. If one fills a 2v 6.8l v10 according to the oil dipstick, the engine will have excess oil and it is reported to have some negative consequences.

The Ford 2v 6.8l v10 has a like issue. One is supposed to fill the oil according to the factory fill specifications, which does not register properly on the oil dipstick. If one fills a 2v 6.8l v10 according to the oil dipstick, the engine will have excess oil and it is reported to have some negative consequences.
Interesting - my work group had a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10 from 2002 until 2013, and we carried an extra litre of oil because the level always dropped down to the add mark about halfway through the oil change interval.

Oil changes were done at the dealership at 5000 km intervals.

I wonder if it was typically overfilled, and consumed oil until it got down to the proper level.

Interesting - my work group had a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10 from 2002 until 2013, and we carried an extra litre of oil because the level always dropped down to the add mark about halfway through the oil change interval.

Oil changes were done at the dealership at 5000 km intervals.

I wonder if it was typically overfilled, and consumed oil until it got down to the proper level.
N35,

What your work group experienced is reported to be a consequence of using the dip stick on the 2V V10 6.8l. I had a like experience, and thought the engine was burning oil until I quite using the dipstick to identify the oil was "full". After revising the way I measured oil in the V10, I no longer was using oil between oil changes.

If refill is 7qt but empty fill is 7.5qt, I would suspect the remaining is in oil cooler lines or other lines. I would just put 7 in and see where it falls on dipstick and go from there.
You didn't read the thread did you?

I did and at the bottom of the paragraphs he asked this question.
The whole problem is the dipstick. In the early stages a ford engineer confirmed to my dealer that the capacity was 7 quarts. So the forum members ignored the dipstick (especially since it shows overfilled from the factory). Everything was fine until last week when the revised the capacity. Plus I already had my dipstick swapped under warranty for one that shows in range with 7 quarts.

The whole problem is the dipstick. In the early stages a ford engineer confirmed to my dealer that the capacity was 7 quarts. So the forum members ignored the dipstick (especially since it shows overfilled from the factory). Everything was fine until last week when the revised the capacity. Plus I already had my dipstick swapped under warranty for one that shows in range with 7 quarts.
Civilization is in terminal decline when in the year 2022 the industry is recalling 'dipsticks', representing a true new low in competence!

W the 7qts as long as it is not foaming I would leave it be

They’ll probably revise what they’ve said to just say “6 quarts + 7.5 quarts = 13.5 quarts. 13.5 quarts / 2 = 6.75 quarts. Just put 6.75 quarts in and that should have you somewhere in the safe area we hope.” 🤔
I can’t believe how difficult and confusing they’re making something as simple as oil capacity.

I mean, yeah, we get why they do it. It's still stupid though when the vast majority of users in a certain area use one standard vs. others.
When I was in grade school back in the 60's, we were always told the USA would be metric before we finished high school. 50 years later, it seems we are still only about half metric. Metric is so much easier than our system, we really should switch over.

When I was in grade school back in the 60's, we were always told the USA would be metric before we finished high school. 50 years later, it seems we are still only about half metric. Metric is so much easier than our system, we really should switch over.
Base 10 is definitely a lot easier than 12", 5,280', 1760 yds, etc.

I must admit, being on this forum is the only reason I have even an ounce of knowledge about the imperial system.

We obviously use metric for everything (except driving, weirdly) in the UK and it's so much easier.

However, we use MPH for speed and work out our fuel economy in miles per gallon while purchasing fuel in litres. That's always been an interesting one.

Agree. I am about 10 years older and we were told we would be out of oil by now, acid rain would kill us, and I think I was also worried about the upcoming potential ice age.

tl:dr is that this thread is giving me the courage to reassess what I always thought was an "overfull" condition whenever I got my car back from my mechanic for oil change. Possible dipstick discrepancy. Not exclusive to a Ford Bronco.
Base 10 is definitely a lot easier than 12", 5,280', 1760 yds, etc.
5.00 quarts of oil. That's how you'd pass the ASE Certification test...

Just bought my fourth new Ford since April of 2016. This time Bronco with Sasquatch package. 2.7.
For what it's worth, I've had zero problems or failures with any of these vehicles. P.S. I again got plan D as a family member and couldn't pass up below MSRP, and their dealer mark up. Should I assume that by now it has the correct dipstick? LOL
IMG_0791.jpeg

Update:

I've been using 7 quarts with no consequence. But someone posted a picture of the stock oil pan filled with both 6 quarts and 7 quarts. Does this change anyone's mind? With the 2.7 having a 2-piece block, I'm not sure the rotating assembly would get close to the sump level to churn up and cause parasitic losses. But looking at the 6 quart level I don't think it would cause any problems either. Would you run the extra quart or save the money if you were changing every 5k miles?

6 quarts on left, 7 quarts on right.
bronco pan 6qt.jpg
bronco pan 7 qt.jpg

ford_2-7_ecoboost.jpg
15F150-2.7L-EcoBoost_01_HR.jpg

Reactions: MDN
Back